Author Topic: The sun and stage lamps, revisited.  (Read 8432 times)

Offline Dalhousie

• Jupiter
Re: The sun and stage lamps, revisited.
« Reply #15 on: June 21, 2018, 05:46:35 AM »
Oh man the reflection of Earth on the car and starman's helmet - just amazing!

I see what you mean. That is poetic.

There are literally DOZENS of great shots that can be pulled off that feed. SpaceX should be up for a Pulitzer Prize.

There is a Pulitzer for self promotion via stupid stunts now?

Offline bknight

• Neptune
« Reply #16 on: June 21, 2018, 09:09:45 AM »
I decided to go back and find the exact moment in the video. It starts at 1:18:24 in the feed.

Around the 1:12 time I see 4 diagonal lines on the right of the video.  Since I haven't read much on this mission, does anyone know what those 4 lines are?
Truth needs no defense.  Nobody can take those footsteps I made on the surface of the moon away from me.
Eugene Cernan

Offline jfb

• Mars
« Reply #17 on: June 21, 2018, 10:04:32 AM »
I decided to go back and find the exact moment in the video. It starts at 1:18:24 in the feed.

Around the 1:12 time I see 4 diagonal lines on the right of the video.  Since I haven't read much on this mission, does anyone know what those 4 lines are?

You're talking about the 1 hour 12 minute mark?  That's one of the camera mounts.  There's also a camera mount in front of the car (that's the thing you see through the windshield from the cabin view). 

Offline AtomicDog

• Mars
« Reply #18 on: June 21, 2018, 10:05:22 AM »

There are literally DOZENS of great shots that can be pulled off that feed. SpaceX should be up for a Pulitzer Prize.

Pulitzer Prize for best photograph. Self promotion via stupid stunts? The Falcon Heavy launch probably produced the most inspiring space images since Earthrise. I most respectfully and vehemently disagree with you on this one.
"There is no belief, however foolish, that will not gather its faithful adherents who will defend it to the death." - Isaac Asimov

Offline molesworth

• Mars
  • the curse of st custards
« Reply #19 on: June 21, 2018, 04:07:11 PM »
Of course there are.  The question is whether they are true (dis)believers or just trolling.  Every YouTube video of every rocket launch (SpaceX or not) has some jackass going "I can't believe you sheeple are falling for this, it's obviously fake."  I'm convinced that well north of 90% of them are doing so just for the lulz.  Of the remainder, I'm convinced at least half some are Russians agents provocateurs  trying to sow doubt and confusion (and succeeding beyond their wildest dreams in some quarters). 
Can we please NOT blame everything on Russian agents?  It's getting close to xenophobia.
Спасибо, товарищ!  ;D
Days spent at sea are not deducted from one's allotted span - Phoenician proverb

Offline molesworth

• Mars
  • the curse of st custards
« Reply #20 on: June 21, 2018, 04:18:58 PM »

Pulitzer Prize for best photograph. Self promotion via stupid stunts? The Falcon Heavy launch probably produced the most inspiring space images since Earthrise. I most respectfully and vehemently disagree with you on this one.
Indeed!  The whole launch sequence, first stage landings, and Starman in orbit are amazing, and hopefully will inspire yet another generation to get into science, engineering and related areas.

As for self-promotion, there's nothing wrong with that, given Musk's commitment to making the world a better place in many ways.  It was a first test, so there was never going to be any commercial payload, and even e.g. student projects would have been at very high risk, which would have been pretty devastating for the teams if it had gone wrong.

I'm looking forward to the first payload-carrying launch, near the end of this year if it stays on schedule.
Days spent at sea are not deducted from one's allotted span - Phoenician proverb

Offline bknight

• Neptune
« Reply #21 on: June 21, 2018, 08:33:08 PM »

You're talking about the 1 hour 12 minute mark?  That's one of the camera mounts.  There's also a camera mount in front of the car (that's the thing you see through the windshield from the cabin view).
Yes to the time mark and thanks for the info.
Truth needs no defense.  Nobody can take those footsteps I made on the surface of the moon away from me.
Eugene Cernan

Offline MBDK

• Earth
  • BANNED
« Reply #22 on: June 22, 2018, 02:25:53 PM »
...the reseaux plate in the back of the Hasselblad cameras were coated with a thin and transparent layer of gold, to prevent a build-up of static electricity (which presumably could have been generated by the friction of the film moving over the glass plate after each exposure).

This is a crucial and telling point, I believe, as almost every photograph that shows a bright halo surrounding either the Sun or a bright reflection was taken with a camera fitted with a gold-coated reseaux plate.

A reasonable explanation, with great examples.  Thank you Ian, for educating me a little bit more.
"It ain't what they call you, it's what you answer to." - W. C. Fields

"Laugh-a while you can, monkey-boy." - Lord John Whorfin