Author Topic: Moon pics static shadows and moving stars.  (Read 92161 times)

Offline bknight

• Neptune
Re: Moon pics static shadows and moving stars.
« Reply #345 on: January 20, 2017, 08:36:29 AM »

bknight, in theory, if you were to jump high enough OR stay in the air long enough, would it be correct to assume that it would likely occur that you would NOT land on the same spot?

EDIT....If FACT, bknight, Zakalwe Abaddon, Kiwi.  I don't require any more input from you.  Feel free to entertain yourselves with another post.  It's seems your assumptions and rhetoric are mostly what is keeping this thread alive.  Surely you all have better things to do than spend time in here ridiculing me?
That is one of the problems your perceptions/thoughts are incorrect.  It makes no difference how high you jump in a train, as both you and the train are moving forward at the same speed.  There is nothing to impede your forward speed, so you will land on the same spot you jumped.
Zakalwe and I are indeed different people, check our posts carefully, besides Lunar Orbit does NOT like socks and bans them.

I have not ridiculed you, but your adolescent thoughts, learn some physics and you won't make them.

EDIT:  Changed word launched to jumped.
« Last Edit: January 20, 2017, 08:47:07 AM by bknight »
Truth needs no defense.  Nobody can take those footsteps I made on the surface of the moon away from me.
Eugene Cernan

Offline Zakalwe

• Uranus
« Reply #346 on: January 20, 2017, 08:37:52 AM »
Firstly, no one needs your permission to post on here Icarus1.
Secondly, you have said that you've nothing more to learn from here. On the contrary, you have admirably demonstrated that your understanding of even basic facts is extremely poor. I would counter that you have a lot to learn here. Whether you are willing or capable is another thing.

I have posted a number of cogent and clear posts for you to explore. Have you attempted to read them?
"The strain of anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' " - Isaac Asimov

Offline Icarus1

• Earth
« Reply #347 on: January 20, 2017, 08:38:45 AM »
In fact, what I'd like to do is go thru all your posts and see if you've attacked others who've visited this forum.  I'll read thru and defend those that suffer this pedantic ridicule.  (Of course I'm not going to do that; who cares right?)

Have you any idea on how much of this thread is about me personally and NOTHING at all to do with the topics?

What are you goals here people?

Again, to those that are genuinely trying to answer my questions without rude assuming comments, please don't put yourselves in this category.

For anyone else who would like to educate me on Forum Etiquette, manners, respect, communication, shopping habits or how I interpret the world and Universe around me then PLEASE read thru the entire thread and point out ALL that need it also.  You will find evidence from Day 1.

Baaaaaahhhhhhhhhh ha.

Offline Zakalwe

• Uranus
« Reply #348 on: January 20, 2017, 08:59:02 AM »
Get on with it and save your hubris and patronising for elsewhere please.

You've been shown clear and cogent answers to your questions. Can you acknowledge the points that you've asked and have had answered or are you going to demonstrate wilful ignorance?

For example, you asked about the sun dragging the planets around, which has been answered. Do you acknowledge this and have you any other questions on this point?

You also asked why the vortex description could not be correct. Has the answers that were freely given helped to address you erroneous assumptions?

Please remember that no one here is under any obligation to give their time up to educate you, especially when an hour spent with Wikipedia would allow you to do that. Please don't abuse people's generosity by crying your eyes out about being robustly handled.
"The strain of anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' " - Isaac Asimov

Offline Icarus1

• Earth
« Reply #349 on: January 20, 2017, 09:01:05 AM »

bknight, in theory, if you were to jump high enough OR stay in the air long enough, would it be correct to assume that it would likely occur that you would NOT land on the same spot?

EDIT....If FACT, bknight, Zakalwe Abaddon, Kiwi.  I don't require any more input from you.  Feel free to entertain yourselves with another post.  It's seems your assumptions and rhetoric are mostly what is keeping this thread alive.  Surely you all have better things to do than spend time in here ridiculing me?
That is one of the problems your perceptions/thoughts are incorrect.  It makes no difference how high you jump in a train, as both you and the train are moving forward at the same speed.  There is nothing to impede your forward speed, so you will land on the same spot you jumped.
Zakalwe and I are indeed different people, check our posts carefully, besides Lunar Orbit does NOT like socks and bans them.

I have not ridiculed you, but your adolescent thoughts, learn some physics and you won't make them.

I'm trying to fucking learn...but my poor adolescent musings can't cope with my negative poor self image and delicate sensibilities conflicting with the constant attacks at either my character, intelligence of poor poor barely fundamental knowledge of fucking Space, Science and the entire fucking Universe. 

Offline Icarus1

• Earth
« Reply #350 on: January 20, 2017, 09:02:14 AM »
Get on with it and save your hubris and patronising for elsewhere please.

You've been shown clear and cogent answers to your questions. Can you acknowledge the points that you've asked and have had answered or are you going to demonstrate wilful ignorance?

For example, you asked about the sun dragging the planets around, which has been answered. Do you acknowledge this and have you any other questions on this point?

You also asked why the vortex description could not be correct. Has the answers that were freely given helped to address you erroneous assumptions?

Please remember that no one here is under any obligation to give their time up to educate you, especially when an hour spent with Wikipedia would allow you to do that. Please don't abuse people's generosity by crying your eyes out about being robustly handled.

Haha, Irony!!!

Right back at you Bud!

Offline Zakalwe

• Uranus
« Reply #351 on: January 20, 2017, 09:15:14 AM »
Your inability to frame a response without swearing is not helping your cause.

Can you please answer the questions and leave the butt-hurt at the door?
Pretty please. With bells on.

Offline Icarus1

• Earth
« Reply #352 on: January 20, 2017, 09:16:22 AM »
Your inability to frame a response without swearing is not helping your cause.

Can you please answer the questions and leave the butt-hurt at the door?
Pretty please. With bells on.

Haha, Irony, Hypocrisy. 

Right back at you Bud!

Offline Icarus1

• Earth
« Reply #353 on: January 20, 2017, 09:19:05 AM »
Can I download this entire thread?

I'd like to make a book of it.

Offline Zakalwe

• Uranus
« Reply #354 on: January 20, 2017, 09:25:40 AM »
OK. You appear happy to avoid direct questions. I will assume that you have conceded the points.
Thank you.

Offline Icarus1

• Earth
« Reply #355 on: January 20, 2017, 09:55:15 AM »
OK. You appear happy to avoid direct questions. I will assume that you have conceded the points.
Thank you.

You're Welcome.

Offline Northern Lurker

• Earth
« Reply #356 on: January 20, 2017, 10:28:49 AM »
I'm trying to fucking learn...but my poor adolescent musings can't cope with my negative poor self image and delicate sensibilities conflicting with the constant attacks at either my character, intelligence of poor poor barely fundamental knowledge of fucking Space, Science and the entire fucking Universe.

Icarus, do you know what is the difference between science and pursuits like law, politics or advertising? In nonscientific pursuits it's usually who makes the most compelling case wins. But in science facts and evidence rule and trump everything. This forum is scientifically oriented and frequented by professional scientist and engineers and hobbyists. So here the language spoken is language of science.

Why that distinction is important? Because if we would be in bar having couple of beers after hard day at work and you said you like sushi or like heavy metal music or vote for republicans and we would answer that you are wrong and ignorant, that would be offensive and personal attack because those things are subjective and everyone has his right for opinions. Why language of science isn't that courteous? Because you are talking about hard facts which have real consequences in real life. Either that pressure vessel, support column, medical molecule or orbit is properly designed  and executed. Otherwise money will be wasted and lives lost.

Why that rigor is important in casual conversation about our movement of our solar system? Because how else you would learn anything (what you claim to want to) or make informed decisions in life? An example from my homeland is one antinuclear activist gave this reason for her stance: "Because in nuclear plant they hone the uranium rock with water and then discharge that poisonous waste water into nature".

Your lack of self esteem is regretable thing and I commiserate you because of that. But attempting to boost self esteem by pretending to have scientific knowledge you don't have on science board won't go well. If you are sincere in your willingness to learn you find many knowledgeable and friendly persons willing to teach. Otherwise please go away because you won't find you esteem boost here and you don't at the moment you don't add much to discussion here.

Lurky
« Last Edit: January 20, 2017, 10:30:56 AM by Northern Lurker »

Offline Zakalwe

• Uranus
« Reply #357 on: January 20, 2017, 10:42:56 AM »
^^^ Very well put.
This is not a popularity contest or afternoon tea with the vicar. Post your ideas and be prepared to defend them vigorously. Do not confuse opinion with facts...post-truth doesn't apply here.

Offline twik

• Jupiter
« Reply #358 on: January 20, 2017, 10:49:54 AM »

Perhaps the first thing to learn is that adults communicate thoughts in public without swearing. It doesn't add anything to the persuasive power of your statement, and shows disrespect towards those you are addressing. Multiple exclamation points also weaken, rather than strengthen, your argument.

Second, learn that someone saying "you are wrong about that conclusion" isn't an attack on your character. It's an attack on your conclusion, and in science no one is required to coddle a conclusion. If you admit you have a "barely fundamental" knowledge of space, you should not only be prepared for, but welcome, correction by those who have a deep and extensive knowledge of that topic.
« Last Edit: January 20, 2017, 10:52:25 AM by twik »

Offline jfb

• Mars
« Reply #359 on: January 20, 2017, 11:12:37 AM »

As long as the vehicle (train, plane, bus, whatever) doesn't accelerate while you're in mid-air, you will land in the same spot regardless of how high you jump (at least up to the limit of the ceiling, anyway) or how long you stay in the air. 

If the vehicle accelerates1 while you're in mid-air, you won't land in the same spot (from your perspective, anyway - someone standing on a platform as the train/bus/plane/whatever moves by will see you trace out a parabolic arc). 

1.  Which can mean speeding up, slowing down, or changing direction.
« Last Edit: January 20, 2017, 11:45:29 AM by jfb »