Author Topic: What's with this ISIS buisness?  (Read 24711 times)

Offline Glom

• Saturn
Re: What's with this ISIS buisness?
« Reply #60 on: July 02, 2017, 09:02:22 AM »
The success hasn't come out of the blue. There has been slow but steady progress. Eastern Mosul was liberated during the Winter. Western Mosul has been progressing slowly since.

Offline gillianren

• Uranus
    • My Letterboxd journal
« Reply #61 on: July 02, 2017, 11:26:03 AM »
Why on Earth would anyone think that what Trump says has anything to do with how things actually are?
"This sounds like a job for Bipolar Bear . . . but I just can't seem to get out of bed!"

"Conspiracy theories are an irresistible labour-saving device in the face of complexity."  --Henry Louis Gates

Offline smartcooky

• Uranus
« Reply #62 on: July 03, 2017, 12:20:52 AM »
What has been happening recently with Qatar has absolutely nothing to do with the looming victory over ISIS.
If you're not a scientist but you think you've destroyed the foundation of a vast scientific edifice with 10 minutes of Googling, you might want to consider the possibility that you're wrong.

Offline LionKing

• Mars
« Reply #63 on: July 03, 2017, 07:21:41 AM »
What has been happening recently with Qatar has absolutely nothing to do with the looming victory over ISIS.

perhaps, although they have recordings with Qaddafi trying that proves they were trying to interfere with other countries' affairs. Pressuring them to quit terror funding, therefore, should have a favorable result.
“When you go through a hard period,
When everything seems to oppose you,
... When you feel you cannot even bear one more minute,
NEVER GIVE UP!
Because it is the time and place that the course will divert!”
 Rumi

Offline LionKing

• Mars
« Reply #64 on: July 03, 2017, 01:07:42 PM »
Just wa5ched few moments captured of the qatari reply. Hey said: we are not the only ones funding terror, it is all over the region and we are at the bottom of the list..
True admission
NEVER GIVE UP!
 Rumi

Offline Geordie

• Earth
« Reply #65 on: July 03, 2017, 02:42:38 PM »
Just wa5ched few moments captured of the qatari reply. Hey said: we are not the only ones funding terror, it is all over the region and we are at the bottom of the list..
True admission
Do you have a source by any chance?

Offline LionKing

• Mars
« Reply #66 on: July 04, 2017, 05:20:56 AM »
True admission
Do you have a source by any chance?
« Last Edit: July 04, 2017, 05:25:28 AM by LionKing »
NEVER GIVE UP!
 Rumi

Offline LionKing

• Mars
« Reply #67 on: July 04, 2017, 04:42:31 PM »
As i read the qatari website it seems he was saying that Qatar is accused to be in the list as a last name rather than him admitting..still the conversation with qaddafi saying they want to topple KSA they can't deny.

Edited to add:

a video from a Libyan general showing Al Fatis who is a Qatari now given promotion for his role in Libya, and he shows him in different places with terrorists in Libya and there is a video were he carries weapons with them.
I know KSA is not innocent and might have a hand in funding terror, and I am with punishing all not just Qatar. We lost many of our soldiers to terror and they should be wiped off the face of earth.
« Last Edit: July 04, 2017, 05:19:45 PM by LionKing »
NEVER GIVE UP!
 Rumi

Offline gillianren

• Uranus
    • My Letterboxd journal
« Reply #68 on: July 05, 2017, 11:42:39 AM »
No nation should be wiped off the face of the Earth, and it is simply vile to say so.  Terrorists?  Okay, so you kill all the terrorists--then what?  How do their families feel?  Their friends?  Are they going to be on your side, or have you just convinced them to rise up against you?  "Wipe them off the face of the Earth" is simplistic thinking that got us in this situation in the first place, along with "the local people don't need to have a say in what country they belong to."
"This sounds like a job for Bipolar Bear . . . but I just can't seem to get out of bed!"

"Conspiracy theories are an irresistible labour-saving device in the face of complexity."  --Henry Louis Gates

Offline LionKing

• Mars
« Reply #69 on: July 05, 2017, 01:21:11 PM »
No nation should be wiped off the face of the Earth, and it is simply vile to say so.  Terrorists?  Okay, so you kill all the terrorists--then what?  How do their families feel?  Their friends?  Are they going to be on your side, or have you just convinced them to rise up against you?  "Wipe them off the face of the Earth" is simplistic thinking that got us in this situation in the first place, along with "the local people don't need to have a say in what country they belong to."

If you kill you get killed. Even in the states, the death penalty is there. No one cares about how the families of the killers of children think. Same goes here. 
NEVER GIVE UP!
 Rumi

Offline Zakalwe

• Uranus
« Reply #70 on: July 05, 2017, 04:10:48 PM »
If you kill you get killed. Even in the states, the death penalty is there. No one cares about how the families of the killers of children think. Same goes here.

Only in the more barbaric parts of the world.
The civilised world did away with capital punishment decades ago.
"The strain of anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' " - Isaac Asimov

Offline LionKing

• Mars
« Reply #71 on: July 05, 2017, 04:34:09 PM »

Only in the more barbaric parts of the world.
The civilised world did away with capital punishment decades ago.

The usa are not civilized?

Whatever..this is not the topic anyways
NEVER GIVE UP!
 Rumi

Offline Geordie

• Earth
« Reply #72 on: July 05, 2017, 04:58:47 PM »

It's not as simple as you think. For example Omar Khadr, a Canadian citizen who pleaded guilty to killing an American soldier in Afghanistan, far from being killed for killing, is, it emerged over the weekend, being paid 10.5 million dollars by the Canadian government for the way he was treated after being captured on the battlefield.

More of that sort of thing would be the result of attempting to wipe all members of an identifiable group off the map, in my opinion.

Offline LionKing

• Mars
« Reply #73 on: July 05, 2017, 05:08:46 PM »

It's not as simple as you think. For example Omar Khadr, a Canadian citizen who pleaded guilty to killing an American soldier in Afghanistan, far from being killed for killing, is, it emerged over the weekend, being paid 10.5 million dollars by the Canadian government for the way he was treated after being captured on the battlefield.

More of that sort of thing would be the result of attempting to wipe all members of an identifiable group off the map, in my opinion.

He was badly treated so he retaliated. This is different than getting children and smashing them in a bakery, cutting throats, drowning and burning people. The victims' families deserve some relief feeling that justice is done. You are not int heir place and if you were i bet you would want those who did those atrocities to your loved ones face the death penalty. They even get out of prisons and never repent. What would deter them from doing all this? Ok i agree there should be compulsory education and ways to decrease poverty, and rehabilitation programs. If this doesn't work, like with osama bin laden who was very rich and still a terrorist..what to do? Put them innprison for life? Ok be it..just don't let them live among normal people. They will spoil the youth
NEVER GIVE UP!
 Rumi

Offline Jason Thompson

• Uranus
« Reply #74 on: July 06, 2017, 07:46:17 AM »
If you kill you get killed.

An eye for an eye....

Load of old cobblers, and entirely nonsensical if you actually think it through beyond the simplistic idea because it applies equally well to both sides. So now you're into the justifications and rationalisations. Both sides kill, and both sides retaliate based on the idea quoted above. Ah, you say, but they killed first. Ah, they say, but our people died because of your actions in some time and some place, so actually you killed first. Ah but, you say, we only took those actions because something you did led to some deaths even further back, so actually you killed first. BUT, they say... and so on ad infitum. And going forward, we kill in retaliation, then whoever's left retaliates against us, so we retaliate again, and so on ad infinitum.

The point is that for either side the idea that the enemy must be 'wiped off the face of the earth', as you put it, is just about the most stupid response possible.

But what do I know, I'm just a weak lefty liberal, after all...  ::)
"There's this idea that everyone's opinion is equally valid. My arse! Bloke who was a professor of dentistry for forty years does NOT have a debate with some eejit who removes his teeth with string and a door!"  - Dara O'Briain