Author Topic: Have the kooks starting using the film Gravity...  (Read 12704 times)

Offline ka9q

• Neptune
Re: Have the kooks starting using the film Gravity...
« Reply #15 on: November 11, 2013, 07:10:46 PM »
As I understand it, Apollo 15 was originally meant to be another H-class mission. When the program was shortened it was cancelled as originally planned and made the first J-class extended mission. This probably moved up all the J-class hardware by one mission.

The J-class LMs had to be built as such, so LM-9, which was to be the H-class LM for Apollo 15, was put on display at Kennedy Space Center. As far as I know this is the only complete, unflown LM originally intended for a manned flight; LM-2 on display at the Smithsonian was originally built as a backup for LM-1 which flew unmanned on Apollo 5.

Offline smartcooky

• Uranus
« Reply #16 on: November 12, 2013, 06:20:33 AM »
According to this wiki article http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Canceled_Apollo_missions  ,the CSM and LM originally slated for 18 were actually used on Apollo 17.

So that leaves the obvious question then, what happened to the Apollo 17 hardware?

I'd be interested to know if any of the Apollo hardware that was originally intended to go to the moon ended up on Apollo-Soyuz. Or was Apollo-Soyuz built from the ground up?
If you're not a scientist but you think you've destroyed the foundation of a vast scientific edifice with 10 minutes of Googling, you might want to consider the possibility that you're wrong.

Offline Nowhere Man

• Venus
« Reply #17 on: November 16, 2013, 11:32:48 PM »
According to this wiki article http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Canceled_Apollo_missions  ,the CSM and LM originally slated for 18 were actually used on Apollo 17.

So that leaves the obvious question then, what happened to the Apollo 17 hardware?

I'd be interested to know if any of the Apollo hardware that was originally intended to go to the moon ended up on Apollo-Soyuz. Or was Apollo-Soyuz built from the ground up?
The linked WP article says that Apollo-Soyuz used the H-mission CSM that would have flown Apollo 15 before it was changed to a J mission.  So I suppose the hardware intended for A17 flew on A16, and the A16 hardware flew A15.

Nothing new was built after Apollo was cancelled.  All of the post-lunar flights used surplus hardware.

Fred
Hey, you!  "It's" with an apostrophe means "it is" or "it has."  "Its" without an apostrophe means "belongs to it."

"For shame, gentlemen, pack your evidence a little better against another time."
-- John Dryden, "The Vindication of The Duke of Guise" 1684

Offline Inanimate Carbon Rod

• Mars
    • evilscience
« Reply #18 on: November 25, 2013, 03:18:13 PM »
I'm more weirded out by the people who seem to think Apollo 18 was real...

I met Dick Gordon last year at Autographica, and I asked him if he saw the movie Apollo 18 and he looked a little irritated by my question and snapped "No!" back at me. I guess he was fed with being asked about it.
Formerly Supermeerkat. Like you care.