Author Topic: why was the usa the only one to go to the moon?  (Read 411259 times)

Offline onebigmonkey

• Uranus
  • ALSJ Clown
    • Apollo Hoax Debunked
Re: why was the usa the only one to go to the moon?
« Reply #735 on: February 03, 2013, 01:04:19 PM »
"NASA must have had a less massive version.

Also, I think NASA must have dropped some navigation aids on the lunar surface before they attempted any manned landings."

Alex, what do you think of people who just parrot anonymous third party speculation?
Buzz Armstrong said they "couldn't see stars on the moon."  Therefore, you can't get a bearing from a star for navigation.  Therefore, you are all stuck on the moon.  The optics were just a telescope.  If you can't see a star with your eyes, you can't see it with a telescope.  Nobody went anywhere.  End of story.  Sorry.

http://www.hq.nasa.gov/alsj/aot.htm

You arrive at your destination by following a specific path. You depart by continuing on that path, which is the same path the CSM has been following while you have been on the ground.

When you get off the ground, look for the only other thing moving nearby, who is also looking for you.

Simple.

Offline RAF

• Mars
« Reply #736 on: February 03, 2013, 01:04:30 PM »
Yes I have.

Was it a childs telescope?..because even someone as ignorant as you must realize that a telescope gathers light more efficiently than the human eye, meaning that yes...YOU CAN SEE MORE STARS WITH A TELESCOPE.

Offline Andromeda

• Jupiter
« Reply #737 on: February 03, 2013, 01:05:28 PM »
Even if he's telling the truth as he saw it, the atmosphere itself acts as a source of light that screws up the night vision required to see stars. Something that does not apply to the moon.

True.  Maybe Alex looked through an unfocused, dusty piece of junk for 2 microseconds before giving up.  Or maybe his next claim is that he used a telescope as a gunsight while taking part in a super-secret mission to rescue Batman while working for BoeingDuPont.
"The most exciting phrase to hear in science, the one that heralds new discoveries, is not 'Eureka!' but 'That's funny...'" - Isaac Asimov.

Offline alexsanchez

• Earth
  • BANNED
« Reply #738 on: February 03, 2013, 01:08:31 PM »
If you can't see a star with your eyes, you can't see it with a telescope. 

That is completely, utterly, demonstrably false.

Clearly you have never looked through a telescope.
Yes I have.  Next question.

Then you are deliberately lying.

Next troll.
Calling me a troll hurts my feelings.  But you're stuck on the moon without navigation.  I feel sorry for you.  I really do.  I wish there was some way I could help, but it's a navigation problem. 
« Last Edit: February 03, 2013, 01:11:44 PM by alexsanchez »

Offline Jason Thompson

• Uranus
« Reply #739 on: February 03, 2013, 01:08:56 PM »
Yes I have.  Next?

You are clearly lying or blind.
"There's this idea that everyone's opinion is equally valid. My arse! Bloke who was a professor of dentistry for forty years does NOT have a debate with some eejit who removes his teeth with string and a door!"  - Dara O'Briain

Offline Jason Thompson

• Uranus
« Reply #740 on: February 03, 2013, 01:10:03 PM »
But you're stuck on the moon without navigation.

No, we have navigation. It works. Just because you don't understand it doesn't make it inoperable.

Once again, do you understand that liftoff and rendezvous were separate phases with their own engineering issues and solutions?

What are your qualifications?

Where did Stanley Kubrick live and work during Apollo?
"There's this idea that everyone's opinion is equally valid. My arse! Bloke who was a professor of dentistry for forty years does NOT have a debate with some eejit who removes his teeth with string and a door!"  - Dara O'Briain

Offline RAF

• Mars
« Reply #741 on: February 03, 2013, 01:13:49 PM »
Calling me a troll hurts my feelings.

Feelings?...no, you get some sick pleasure by "jerking our chains".

I don't think You even believe the things you say...you just "get off" on watching us react.

How sick is that?

Offline RAF

• Mars
« Reply #742 on: February 03, 2013, 01:17:07 PM »
I feel sorry for you.  I really do.  I wish there was some way I could help, but it's a navigation problem. 

You could help by not returning to this board after you get banned.

Offline raven

• Uranus
« Reply #743 on: February 03, 2013, 01:20:26 PM »
Even if he's telling the truth as he saw it, the atmosphere itself acts as a source of light that screws up the night vision required to see stars. Something that does not apply to the moon.

True.  Maybe Alex looked through an unfocused, dusty piece of junk for 2 microseconds before giving up.  Or maybe his next claim is that he used a telescope as a gunsight while taking part in a super-secret mission to rescue Batman while working for BoeingDuPont.
The former would not surprise me, and the latter would amuse me. I've looked at the moon through binoculars in the day time, but I don't remember seen stars, but, again, Earth has a quite significant atmosphere.

Offline alexsanchez

• Earth
  • BANNED
« Reply #744 on: February 03, 2013, 01:21:19 PM »

No, we have navigation. It works. Just because you don't understand it doesn't make it inoperable.

Once again, do you understand that liftoff and rendezvous were separate phases with their own engineering issues and solutions?

What are your qualifications?

Where did Stanley Kubrick live and work during Apollo?
Stanley Kubrick lived and worked on the moon during Apollo.

My qualifications are that I'm an expert.

I know all about liftoff and rendezvous.  I wrote the book on it.

"...the LM had an Alignment Optical Telescope, and could only determine the craft's orientation."
(Not without seeing stars.  And that still doesn't give you your position.  How do you calculate a trajectory???  You can't.)
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Apollo_PGNCS

Offline Andromeda

• Jupiter
« Reply #745 on: February 03, 2013, 01:22:25 PM »
If you can't see a star with your eyes, you can't see it with a telescope. 

That is completely, utterly, demonstrably false.

Clearly you have never looked through a telescope.
Yes I have.  Next question.

Then you are deliberately lying.

Next troll.
Calling me a troll hurts my feelings.

But you are trolling.

Actually I am sitting in my living room with a cat on my lap while my lovely husband cooks dinner.

You have already had the solution to the "problem" (which only exists in your head) explained to you several times.

I feel sorry for you.  I really do.  I wish there was some way I could help, but it's a navigation problem.

Your faux pity is unwanted, unnecessary and insulting.
"The most exciting phrase to hear in science, the one that heralds new discoveries, is not 'Eureka!' but 'That's funny...'" - Isaac Asimov.

Offline Andromeda

• Jupiter
« Reply #746 on: February 03, 2013, 01:25:00 PM »

Wrong.

Also wrong, and repeatedly proven so by your own assertions.

I know all about liftoff and rendezvous.

Only if your definition of "all about" is "nothing".

I wrote the book on it.

A comic book?

"...the LM had an Alignment Optical Telescope, and could only determine the craft's orientation."
(Not without seeing stars.  And that still doesn't give you your position.  How do you calculate a trajectory???  You can't.)
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Apollo_PGNCS

Blah blah blah.  Proven wrong and dealt with already.
« Last Edit: February 03, 2013, 01:27:47 PM by Andromeda »

Offline Jason Thompson

• Uranus
« Reply #747 on: February 03, 2013, 01:25:29 PM »

Now you're just boring.

Bull.

Bull. You've been told over and over again exactly how it was done. You sticking your fingers in your ears going 'lalalalalalalala' does not constitute an argument.

You have no qualifications relevant, despite your claims to expertise. You are just a pathetic sock puppet troll of someone who can't abide the idea that he actually knows sod all about the stuff he proclaims himself an expert on, and when faced with real experts has no recourse except to sarcasm and insults. Pathetic.

Offline Jason Thompson

• Uranus
« Reply #748 on: February 03, 2013, 01:26:59 PM »

Fortunately there are some actual experts around who can solve the problem, so your inability to help is really not an issue for anyone on the Moon.

Offline RAF

• Mars
« Reply #749 on: February 03, 2013, 01:30:40 PM »

Only an "expert" at different personas...not something to "brag" about.

Well, obviously you don't...as we've gone over again, and again, and again...

"Wrote a book"? Get something straight, Poncho...we simply are not as stupid as you presume us to be....therefore, please stop insulting us by making such statements as "I wrote the book"...we know you didn't.

Also, getting real tired of you lying in EVERY SINGLE ONE OF YOUR POSTS.