Author Topic: Myth Busters and the Moon Hoax  (Read 17302 times)

Offline randombloke

• Mercury
Re: Myth Busters and the Moon Hoax
« Reply #15 on: February 12, 2013, 10:09:13 PM »
For UK broadcast, do they dub the participants voices, or just the voiceover narration? And is this a common practice with shows made in the US? Just seems a little odd - I know we're "separated by a common language", but is there a particular reason?

Just the voiceover.

It seems to be common practice when shows cross the Atlantic either way - David Attenborough's "Life ... " series have been voiced by Sigourney Weaver and others when shown in the US.
One of the things the change in narration appears to do is insert metric units instead of American. That's probably not the biggest reason or anything, but it is there.

P.S. do you know if they also re-edit the footage to show as much of Kari Byron's (admittedly delectable) rear as possible, or is that native to the original?  :P

Offline Jason Thompson

• Uranus
« Reply #16 on: February 13, 2013, 07:21:49 AM »
I can't say I've noticed Kari's rear end being emphasised particularly in the show (well, apart from her first appearance, obviously, since that was all about her rear end!). I think the guys come off worse for that, for example the closeup shots of Tori making a body cast of Grant in one episode, or Tori having a thermometer pressed against his backside after being dragged along by a horse....
"There's this idea that everyone's opinion is equally valid. My arse! Bloke who was a professor of dentistry for forty years does NOT have a debate with some eejit who removes his teeth with string and a door!"  - Dara O'Briain

Offline Noldi400

• Jupiter
« Reply #17 on: February 13, 2013, 03:04:36 PM »
I can't say I've noticed Kari's rear end being emphasised particularly in the show (well, apart from her first appearance, obviously, since that was all about her rear end!). I think the guys come off worse for that, for example the closeup shots of Tori making a body cast of Grant in one episode, or Tori having a thermometer pressed against his backside after being dragged along by a horse....

Well, there was the pretty-girl-flatulence myth episode...
"The sane understand that human beings are incapable of sustaining conspiracies on a grand scale, because some of our most defining qualities as a species are... a tendency to panic, and an inability to keep our mouths shut." - Dean Koontz

Offline Jason Thompson

• Uranus
« Reply #18 on: February 13, 2013, 03:57:26 PM »
Yes, but that part wasn't originally shown and in any case the flatulence wasn't confined to Kari. There was far more emphasis on what Adam's backside was doing in that episode...
"There's this idea that everyone's opinion is equally valid. My arse! Bloke who was a professor of dentistry for forty years does NOT have a debate with some eejit who removes his teeth with string and a door!"  - Dara O'Briain

Offline raven

• Uranus
« Reply #19 on: February 13, 2013, 04:01:18 PM »
Was that also the one they proved that flatus can be lit?

Offline Jason Thompson

• Uranus
« Reply #20 on: February 13, 2013, 04:25:37 PM »
Yes, again in a section that was not originally shown in the episode in question but appeared online later. It might have been included in an actual televised episode by now...

Offline Noldi400

• Jupiter
« Reply #21 on: February 13, 2013, 04:34:59 PM »

I didn't even know that was considered a myth. I saw it done many times in the college years.
"The sane understand that human beings are incapable of sustaining conspiracies on a grand scale, because some of our most defining qualities as a species are... a tendency to panic, and an inability to keep our mouths shut." - Dean Koontz

Offline raven

• Uranus
« Reply #22 on: February 13, 2013, 04:38:17 PM »

I didn't even know that was considered a myth. I saw it done many times in the college years.
If whether girls fart can be considered a myth . . .

Offline Noldi400

• Jupiter
« Reply #23 on: February 13, 2013, 04:50:49 PM »

If whether girls fart can be considered a myth . . .
True. That whole episode had an air of "We're temporarily out of legitimate myths, so let's just do something silly."

And before we get moderated for going wildly OT, I would like to point out that "moon" has more than one meaning, and "hoax" certainly seems to fit.

Offline Count Zero

• Mars
  • Pad 39A July 14,1969
« Reply #24 on: February 14, 2013, 12:29:58 PM »
Alright, no more dirty cracks out of you!
"What makes one step a giant leap is all the steps before."

Offline raven

• Uranus
« Reply #25 on: February 14, 2013, 02:08:07 PM »
Butt why not? ???

Offline Count Zero

• Mars
  • Pad 39A July 14,1969
« Reply #26 on: February 14, 2013, 09:09:23 PM »
Alimentary, my dear Watson...
"What makes one step a giant leap is all the steps before."

Offline raven

• Uranus
« Reply #27 on: February 14, 2013, 11:38:05 PM »
Alimentary, my dear Watson...
I say, Holmes, we must get to the bottom of this before it rears up into something ass-inine, eh what?

Offline BazBear

• Mars
« Reply #28 on: February 15, 2013, 01:09:47 AM »
Some may think it's getting a little rank in here, but I think Al Sheppard and Ken Mattingly might approve the present tack of this thread...

...both of them having retired as rear admirals   :P (Baz attempts to duck flying rotten fruit)
"It's true you know. In space, no one can hear you scream like a little girl." - Mark Watney, protagonist of The Martian by Andy Weir