Author Topic: MSL Curiosity  (Read 10514 times)

Offline LunarOrbit

• Administrator
  • Saturn
    • ApolloHoax.net
MSL Curiosity
« on: August 05, 2012, 09:51:53 PM »
So who is watching the coverage of the landing of "Curiosity" on Mars tonight? I'm lucky to have tomorrow off work, otherwise I don't think I could watch.
It suddenly struck me that that tiny pea, pretty and blue, was the Earth.
I put up my thumb and shut one eye, and my thumb blotted out the planet Earth.
I didn't feel like a giant. I felt very, very small.
- Neil Armstrong (1930-2012)

Offline Peter B

• Saturn
Re: MSL Curiosity
« Reply #1 on: August 05, 2012, 10:32:18 PM »
For us, touchdown is about half an hour after I collect our oldest son from pre-school. That probably doesn't quite give us enough time to get out to the Canberra Deep Space Communications Centre (Tidbinbilla) and anyway he's in a bit of trouble at the moment.

(I saw live pictures of "Sojourner" rolling onto Mars at the centre back in 1997.)

Offline Chew

• Jupiter
« Reply #2 on: August 06, 2012, 12:12:35 AM »

Offline Chew

• Jupiter
« Reply #3 on: August 06, 2012, 12:13:57 AM »
Also, there is this simulator of MSL approaching Mars: http://eyes.nasa.gov/

Offline LunarOrbit

• Administrator
  • Saturn
    • ApolloHoax.net
« Reply #4 on: August 06, 2012, 01:54:01 AM »
Also, there is this simulator of MSL approaching Mars: http://eyes.nasa.gov/

I was watching that too.

Curiosity is on Mars! And the conspiracy theories begin in 3... 2... 1... ;)

It suddenly struck me that that tiny pea, pretty and blue, was the Earth.
I put up my thumb and shut one eye, and my thumb blotted out the planet Earth.
I didn't feel like a giant. I felt very, very small.
- Neil Armstrong (1930-2012)

Offline Noldi400

• Jupiter
« Reply #5 on: August 06, 2012, 10:34:28 AM »
You know, I never seem to hear CTs about most unmanned missions - well, other than the LRO since it started providing supporting documentation for Apollo. Maybe I've just missed them.

Or maybe it's too easy a target. <shrug>
"The sane understand that human beings are incapable of sustaining conspiracies on a grand scale, because some of our most defining qualities as a species are... a tendency to panic, and an inability to keep our mouths shut." - Dean Koontz

Offline Glom

• Saturn
« Reply #6 on: August 06, 2012, 11:31:32 AM »
I made sure I got to work extra early saw I could watch it.  Made it just in time.

Almost watched the press conference but turned it off when it turned out to be too obnoxious with the rowdy crowd and the political hijacking.

Offline gillianren

• Uranus
    • My Letterboxd journal
« Reply #7 on: August 06, 2012, 11:37:12 AM »
I watch nothing that happens during the two weeks (three weekends) of faire!  Especially now that we close at seven instead of six; I came home, showered, talked to Graham and our roommate, and was asleep by eleven.
"This sounds like a job for Bipolar Bear . . . but I just can't seem to get out of bed!"

"Conspiracy theories are an irresistible labour-saving device in the face of complexity."  --Henry Louis Gates

Offline Peter B

• Saturn
« Reply #8 on: August 06, 2012, 12:28:28 PM »
For us, touchdown is about half an hour after I collect our oldest son from pre-school. That probably doesn't quite give us enough time to get out to the Canberra Deep Space Communications Centre (Tidbinbilla) and anyway he's in a bit of trouble at the moment.

(I saw live pictures of "Sojourner" rolling onto Mars at the centre back in 1997.)
Ah well, we drove out to Tid. But thanks to son's dawdling at pre-school we didn't get out there until about 10 minutes after touchdown. As we pulled into the carpark people were streaming out of the visitors centre. We went in anyway, and he had some fun - they have a full scale model of the Spirit/Opportunity rovers, and that caught his attention immediately. He was also excited by the spacesuit he could stick his head into, and by the kids attempting to land Curiosity on the computer (kinect?). I didn't see a single success, but after they left, I had a go myself and successfully landed it on the first attempt.

Even so, it was nice to be part of the history of the day.

Offline ipearse

• Venus
  • There is no such thing as a stupid question
« Reply #9 on: August 06, 2012, 01:24:08 PM »
I was so pleased to hear they got down successfully. Very much looking forward to the results as they start looking around.
"The Earth is the cradle of the mind, but we cannot live in the cradle forever" - Konstantin Tsiolkovski

Offline Chew

• Jupiter
« Reply #10 on: August 06, 2012, 01:37:18 PM »
For those who didn't watch it live:

Offline BertL

• Mercury
« Reply #11 on: August 06, 2012, 01:53:05 PM »
For those who didn't watch it live:

THANK YOU! Being a European I stayed up all night waiting for it to happen (I royally messed up the timezone conversion) only to fall asleep an hour before the action started.

Offline ka9q

• Neptune
« Reply #12 on: August 08, 2012, 05:00:35 PM »
You know, I never seem to hear CTs about most unmanned missions
I am, about Curiosity/MSL. They don't seem to feel as strongly about it as they do Apollo, probably because it's unmanned, but some do cite it as an example of something that has to be taken on faith because NASA says so, and anybody who believes NASA is a gullible sheeple.

Offline ka9q

• Neptune
« Reply #13 on: August 08, 2012, 06:47:44 PM »
Almost watched the press conference but turned it off when it turned out to be too obnoxious with the rowdy crowd and the political hijacking.
Was it really that bad? Yeah, there was some purple prose about the United States being a force for good and leading the world again, but that sort of stuff is par for the course. I just tune it out and wait for the techies to give some real information.

In past missions a lot of people have commented on the big cultural difference between JPL and JSC (Johnson Space Center for manned flight). The JSC guys wear conservative clothes and never, ever stand up and cheer some success in the mission with the singular exception of the earth landing at the end. They run it like a military operation. When Apollo 11 landed, you hear one clipped, understated "Whooop!" on the flight director loop, and that's it. Kranz said he'd fire anybody who cheered at a point like that.

The JPL guys cheer just about every major milestone in a Mars entry and landing sequence and they go wild when touchdown is confirmed.

I think the difference is easily explained by the fact that the Apollo 11 controllers were only 1.5 light-seconds away so they remained very tightly involved in the landing. They can't afford to lose focus. But the JPL guys were 14 light-minutes from Mars, and that made them totally passive spectators. They could not react to anything in less than 28 minutes, and that basically means they can't react at  all. So there's no harm in having the whole team go wild if they want.

Offline grmcdorman

• Earth
« Reply #14 on: August 08, 2012, 07:37:39 PM »
Not to mention that, in the former, lives are on the line. But mostly I think it's as you say: the Apollo controllers were busy with the following items on the checklist, and the JPL guys were just "watching".