Author Topic: What becomes of old 'friends'..  (Read 479500 times)

Offline mako88sb

• Mars
Re: What becomes of old 'friends'..
« Reply #1035 on: February 28, 2016, 03:23:46 PM »
I've noticed an upsurge in the Titanic/Olympic switch theory knuckleheads lately.  That one truly baffles me.

Must admit I never heard about this one before until about a week ago. Seen a youtube video about it and almost clicked on it but then I asked myself if I really wanted to be accused of being a sheeple again over something so ridiculous as a conspiracy like that.

Offline bknight

• Neptune
« Reply #1036 on: February 28, 2016, 03:46:42 PM »
I've noticed an upsurge in the Titanic/Olympic switch theory knuckleheads lately.  That one truly baffles me.

Must admit I never heard about this one before until about a week ago. Seen a youtube video about it and almost clicked on it but then I asked myself if I really wanted to be accused of being a sheeple again over something so ridiculous as a conspiracy like that.
From what I've seen those are a more polite bunch of people, clinging to a fantasy idea.
Truth needs no defense.  Nobody can take those footsteps I made on the surface of the moon away from me.
Eugene Cernan

Offline DD Brock

• Earth
« Reply #1037 on: February 28, 2016, 06:13:25 PM »
Not all, but more so than other conspiracy crowds. You have more of a chance getting reasonable discourse with them, I'll admit.

Offline mako88sb

• Mars
« Reply #1038 on: February 28, 2016, 08:50:24 PM »
Not all, but more so than other conspiracy crowds. You have more of a chance getting reasonable discourse with them, I'll admit.

I've been trying to think of a reason why somebody would argue for the switch-a-roo to happen and the only thing I can think of is somebody playing games and seeing if they can convince people of anything.

Offline bknight

• Neptune
« Reply #1039 on: February 28, 2016, 09:32:40 PM »

I've been trying to think of a reason why somebody would argue for the switch-a-roo to happen and the only thing I can think of is somebody playing games and seeing if they can convince people of anything.
It's the I know something that you don't syndrome, I believe.
Truth needs no defense.  Nobody can take those footsteps I made on the surface of the moon away from me.
Eugene Cernan

Offline DD Brock

• Earth
« Reply #1040 on: February 28, 2016, 11:57:43 PM »

The general consensus amongst that crowd is basically the Olympic was so badly damaged when HMS Hawke rammed her, White Star cooked up a scheme to switch the ships and scuttle the Olympic (portraying Titanic) and collect the insurance money.  The details vary wildly, I.E. it was part of a grand scheme that led to the creation of the Federal Reserve, JP Morgan bumped off his competition, etc., etc.

Crazy thing is there is physical evidence we can see and touch. Of all the CT's, the one to me requires more suspension of disbelief than most others.

Offline mako88sb

• Mars
« Reply #1041 on: March 01, 2016, 10:08:25 AM »

The general consensus amongst that crowd is basically the Olympic was so badly damaged when HMS Hawke rammed her, White Star cooked up a scheme to switch the ships and scuttle the Olympic (portraying Titanic) and collect the insurance money.  The details vary wildly, I.E. it was part of a grand scheme that led to the creation of the Federal Reserve, JP Morgan bumped off his competition, etc., etc.

Crazy thing is there is physical evidence we can see and touch. Of all the CT's, the one to me requires more suspension of disbelief than most others.

Okay. Whomever came up with that has quite the imagination. So according to them, did they scuttle the ship and make up the iceberg or did they intentionally aim for one and barely miss it except of course the bit that ripped the hull open? Either way seems pretty ridiculous to think could be pulled off and make it look like an accident with so many passengers involved.

Offline bknight

• Neptune
« Reply #1042 on: March 01, 2016, 10:49:44 AM »

Okay. Whomever came up with that has quite the imagination. So according to them, did they scuttle the ship and make up the iceberg or did they intentionally aim for one and barely miss it except of course the bit that ripped the hull open? Either way seems pretty ridiculous to think could be pulled off and make it look like an accident with so many passengers involved.

Well the theory goes, the Californian or Carpathian (I don't remember) was positioned close to the point of scuttling so the passengers could be rescued.  But that failed when the bridge personnel failed to recognize the flairs shot by the Titanic.  It gets a little more convoluted, but essentially the insurance scam revolved around sinking of the "Titanic".
Eugene Cernan

Offline mako88sb

• Mars
« Reply #1043 on: March 01, 2016, 11:17:02 AM »

Well the theory goes, the Californian or Carpathian (I don't remember) was positioned close to the point of scuttling so the passengers could be rescued.  But that failed when the bridge personnel failed to recognize the flairs shot by the Titanic.  It gets a little more convoluted, but essentially the insurance scam revolved around sinking of the "Titanic".

Thanks for the info. So it was an insurance scam gone wrong, no iceberg involved and all the survivors were handsomely compensated to keep the lid on it. Pretty flimsy excuse with the rescue ship not recognizing the flares. Not likely there would happen to be another ship in distress at the approximate time and in the vicinity of the Titanic's course. Of course, I imagine the hoax crowd sees nothing wrong with that.

Offline bknight

• Neptune
« Reply #1044 on: March 01, 2016, 11:36:10 AM »

Thanks for the info. So it was an insurance scam gone wrong, no iceberg involved and all the survivors were handsomely compensated to keep the lid on it. Pretty flimsy excuse with the rescue ship not recognizing the flares. Not likely there would happen to be another ship in distress at the approximate time and in the vicinity of the Titanic's course. Of course, I imagine the hoax crowd sees nothing wrong with that.
Not to mention icebergs at a specific point on the ocean 4-5 days before the sailing from South Hampton.  The continued theory was that the ship could have avoided the iceberg IF it turned to starboard instead of port(I don't remember why, but perhaps the port side of the ship would have been further from impact than the starboard side).  Of course forget the fact that the ship was travelling at a minimum of 20 knots to arrive at the scuttling site, damaged Olympic was not capable of that speed with damages.  It is a fantasy IMO.
Eugene Cernan

Offline Dalhousie

• Jupiter
« Reply #1045 on: March 01, 2016, 05:03:14 PM »

It seems that the prevailing flavour of hoax beliefs resides with the flat Earthist's now. How anyone can fall for that garbage is beyond belief, but they do (sadly) seem to have a healthy following.

There was even one on the Mars Society's FB page, banned when he started posting verbal sexual attacks on the partners of those who disagreed with him.

Offline gillianren

• Uranus
    • My Letterboxd journal
« Reply #1046 on: March 01, 2016, 07:17:10 PM »
It's really dismaying how often "sexual attack" is the default response.
"This sounds like a job for Bipolar Bear . . . but I just can't seem to get out of bed!"

"Conspiracy theories are an irresistible labour-saving device in the face of complexity."  --Henry Louis Gates

Offline ka9q

• Neptune
« Reply #1047 on: March 01, 2016, 07:25:32 PM »
This sure seems important to a lot of people, even when the connection to the topic under discussion totally escapes me.

Offline Dalhousie

• Jupiter
« Reply #1048 on: March 02, 2016, 12:07:28 AM »
This sure seems important to a lot of people, even when the connection to the topic under discussion totally escapes me.

Clear sign of gamesmanship by trolls, IMHO

Offline Drewid

• Venus
« Reply #1049 on: May 08, 2016, 07:50:06 AM »
A certain French "aerospace engineer" has popped up on Quora.

https://www.quora.com/Is-there-a-single-compelling-argument-in-support-of-the-idea-that-the-moon-landing-was-faked

Someone who knows way more than I do is weighing in already.