Author Topic: Falcon 9 Question ...  (Read 737 times)

Offline Northern Lurker

• Venus
Re: Falcon 9 Question ...
« Reply #30 on: September 01, 2017, 06:04:43 PM »
Imagine if we had a thicker atmosphere and more gravity.

Maybe we would launch our rockets from giant airships.

Lurky

Offline smartcooky

• Saturn
« Reply #31 on: September 10, 2017, 02:27:25 AM »

Apparently, when SpaceX launch their first Falcon 9 Heavy later this year (at this stage its down for November, but that could change) their intention is to use two previously flown Stage 1 cores as the boosters. Furthermore, they intend to recover all three parts of Stage 1, the two booster cores back to the Cape, and the centre Stage 1 core back to the downrange Atlantic platform.

https://spaceflightnow.com/2017/07/25/musk-sets-expectations-low-for-maiden-falcon-heavy-launch/

That is something I am looking forward to watching.
« Last Edit: September 10, 2017, 02:37:51 AM by smartcooky »
► What you can assert without evidence, I can dismiss without evidence
► When you argue with idiots you risk being dragged down to their level and beaten with experience.
►"Conspiracism is a shortcut to the illusion of erudition

Offline bknight

• Uranus
« Reply #32 on: September 10, 2017, 06:09:45 AM »

Apparently, when SpaceX launch their first Falcon 9 Heavy later this year (at this stage its down for November, but that could change) their intention is to use two previously flown Stage 1 cores as the boosters. Furthermore, they intend to recover all three parts of Stage 1, the two booster cores back to the Cape, and the centre Stage 1 core back to the downrange Atlantic platform.

https://spaceflightnow.com/2017/07/25/musk-sets-expectations-low-for-maiden-falcon-heavy-launch/

Indeed that will be a special launch to watch.
Truth needs no defense.  Nobody can take those footsteps I made on the surface of the moon away from me.
Eugene Cernan

Offline Zakalwe

• Saturn
« Reply #33 on: September 10, 2017, 08:10:17 AM »

I've booked a week in Florida in the hopes I get lucky and see it! Fingers crossed
"Quod gratis asseritur, gratis negatur"
“That which can be asserted without evidence, can be dismissed without evidence.” – Christopher Hitchens.

Offline bknight

• Uranus
« Reply #34 on: September 10, 2017, 09:07:04 AM »

I've booked a week in Florida in the hopes I get lucky and see it! Fingers crossed
Best of luck, then.
Truth needs no defense.  Nobody can take those footsteps I made on the surface of the moon away from me.
Eugene Cernan

Offline sandopan

• Venus
« Reply #35 on: September 10, 2017, 11:35:16 AM »

Hopefully not this week.
Don't commit terrorism.  Washington hates competition.

Offline raven

• Saturn
« Reply #36 on: September 10, 2017, 06:12:40 PM »
I bet it will take a couple launches to get the bugs ironed out, but I also bet they'll get it in time.

Offline jfb

• Venus
« Reply #37 on: September 13, 2017, 11:43:08 AM »
Places where things will be "interesting" -

• Ignition - lighting up 27 engines at once will be fun (and probably very loud)
  • MaxQ - that's where the fittings holding the boosters to the center core will be under the most stress
  • Booster separation - that's where their aero modeling will be put to the test, making sure that the boosters fly away from the core instead of into it

I'm not worried about landing, although watching two boosters land at the same time will be quite a show. 

Offline Zakalwe

• Saturn
« Reply #38 on: September 13, 2017, 11:56:27 AM »
I bet it will take a couple launches to get the bugs ironed out, but I also bet they'll get it in time.

Musk has said that the chances of the first being successful are pretty low. I really hope that he's lowballing us!

I'm not worried about landing, although watching two boosters land at the same time will be quite a show. 

If it all goes to plan there'll be three boosters landing.  :)

<edit> not all at the same time though!

https://www.instagram.com/p/BXXiVWFgphb/
« Last Edit: September 13, 2017, 11:58:04 AM by Zakalwe »
"Quod gratis asseritur, gratis negatur"
“That which can be asserted without evidence, can be dismissed without evidence.” – Christopher Hitchens.