Author Topic: Telescope Advice  (Read 4423 times)

Offline Bryanpoprobson

• Jupiter
  • Another Clown
Re: Telescope Advice
« Reply #15 on: March 19, 2017, 05:21:54 AM »
For the love of God man have you learned nothing about being married??

ERASE YOUR BROWSER HISTORY!

;D
"Wise men speak because they have something to say!" "Fools speak, because they have to say something!" (Plato)

Offline Zakalwe

• Uranus
« Reply #16 on: March 19, 2017, 09:40:35 AM »
Get a pair of decent binoculars. They're cheap ane easy to use. Scanning the Mill Way with binos is always a pleasure.
No..I'm not dyslexic. The spelling is the result of predictive text, fat fingers and an Android phone.  >:(
"The strain of anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' " - Isaac Asimov

Offline Bryanpoprobson

• Jupiter
  • Another Clown
« Reply #17 on: March 26, 2017, 02:53:38 PM »
Set-up night

Very easy to set up and collimate, just a quick bit of observing tonight to get used to it. Need some time to do some proper observing, perhaps next week if the sky is kind..
"Wise men speak because they have something to say!" "Fools speak, because they have to say something!" (Plato)

Offline Zakalwe

• Uranus
« Reply #18 on: March 26, 2017, 04:16:52 PM »

Very easy to set up and collimate, just a quick bit of observing tonight to get used to it.

Very nice!
Get some Bob's Knobs....they make collimation very easy. Having said that, there's no need to become obsessive about collimation unless you're into planetary imaging.

Need some time to do some proper observing, perhaps next week if the sky is kind..
You've condemned us to more weeks of cloud now... :P
"The strain of anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' " - Isaac Asimov

Offline Bryanpoprobson

• Jupiter
  • Another Clown
« Reply #19 on: March 26, 2017, 04:24:58 PM »
Did have a few problems with the set-up I can't get the laser pointer aligned properly. I did think the GO TO function had a mind of it's own until I realised I had to change to manual align.  :o But with a 40mm eyepiece and a nice early evening constellation of Orion, I could align the scope directly to Betelgeuse, Rigel and Sirius.
« Last Edit: March 26, 2017, 04:42:10 PM by Bryanpoprobson »

Offline Bryanpoprobson

• Jupiter
  • Another Clown
« Reply #20 on: June 03, 2017, 05:23:07 PM »
Well have finally had an early evening observing session in twilight rather than dark skies, even then WOW.. I've been away plus my daughter got married and work piled up in my absence.   Managed to fathom the alignment finally (the telescope wasn't 100% level initially, this was probably why I had so many problems before). But even with just some lunar obs and Jupiter. Magnificent views of the clouds, clearest telescopic views I've ever seen with my own eyes. As for the Moon, zoomed in on the central peak of Tycho even the wife was impressed when she had a look. One small problem, when the iPad lost connection my alignment went out. But overall very impressed.