Author Topic: Telescope Advice  (Read 4404 times)

Offline Bryanpoprobson

• Jupiter
  • Another Clown
Telescope Advice
« on: March 11, 2017, 08:39:06 AM »
I used to have a big (16") beast permanently set up on my roof in Spain. I am back in the UK with it's light pollution and thinking of investing in an 8" Celestron Nexstar evolution as it is easily removed from the arm and the tube can be carried separately. I was originally look at a Meade, but the tube is hard to remove from the mount. Anyone familiar with the subject matter wants to give some advice? I've always been a hands on with motordriven EQ mont man, I am a novice with all this new fangled computer driven mumbo juumbo.
"Wise men speak because they have something to say!" "Fools speak, because they have to say something!" (Plato)

Offline Zakalwe

• Uranus
Re: Telescope Advice
« Reply #1 on: March 11, 2017, 04:51:36 PM »
It depends on what you are wanting to achieve. Lunar imaging? Visual only? Grab and go?

An 8" SCT will take a fair bit of cooling down, so it mightn't be the thing for a grab'n'go rig. Using it once it's cooled is easy...the newer GOTOs are very easy. Personally, I'd steer away from the Meades...good optics but their electronics and mechanicals are not supposed to be as reliable. This might be an Internet rumour, but Ive seen plenty of bad stories about failures and poor after sales support.

"The strain of anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' " - Isaac Asimov

Offline Bryanpoprobson

• Jupiter
  • Another Clown
« Reply #2 on: March 12, 2017, 04:50:49 AM »
Technically it won't be grab and go as it will be stored in a summerhouse outside, but portability is an issue as I will have to move the rig into position. This has ruled out the Meade for me. I have changed my mind a little and may opt for the 9.25 nexstar evolution, this should allow me to a little planetary and lunar obs. The crap skys in the UK stop me doing much else. I am not planing to do much in the way of long exposure photography just a lot of visuals. I understand that these type of telescopes are not that good for long exposures anyway due to rotation of the object (although this can be achieved with add ons if I decide I want to do that).

What I'd really like to do is have a play with various rigs to see what suits. I do like this idea of the telescope being a wifi hub and driving it from an ipad app.
"Wise men speak because they have something to say!" "Fools speak, because they have to say something!" (Plato)

Offline Glom

• Saturn
« Reply #3 on: March 12, 2017, 06:09:49 AM »
I got a 60mm achromatic refractor for exactly that reason. Only moon and planets are much of an option.

Offline Zakalwe

• Uranus
« Reply #4 on: March 12, 2017, 08:06:40 AM »

Long exposure imaging is ruled out by the alt-az mount. Plus a slow f10, long focal length scope is the last thing that you should consider for DSO imaging.
I understand that these type of telescopes are not that good for long exposures anyway due to rotation of the object (although this can be achieved with add ons if I decide I want to do that).
Technically, yes. You could mount the whole shebang on a wedge. And use a focal reducer to get it to f6.3. You could also commute on a pogo stick- you'll get there eventually, but it'll be slow, painful and you'll quickly realise that there are much better solutions available. There are very good reasons that the vast majority of people that do DSO imaging do not use a wedge-mounted SCT- it's an exercise in frustration.

A 9.25" is a weapon for Lunar and planetary imaging or visual. perhaps you should also consider a Maksutov. The Skywatcher f15 180mm Maksutov is a beast for planetary imaging.

"The strain of anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' " - Isaac Asimov

Offline Bryanpoprobson

• Jupiter
  • Another Clown
« Reply #5 on: March 12, 2017, 02:18:57 PM »
Good information...

From the couple of sites I visited the Wedge mounting was described a simple fix, obviously it is not. Any way I will not rush into a decision. :)

Offline Bryanpoprobson

• Jupiter
  • Another Clown
« Reply #6 on: March 17, 2017, 03:15:44 PM »
Well after weighing up my options and carefully considering all my options...... My wife went out and bought the 9.25 Nexstar Evolution for me as a Birthday present as it came up on my browsing history. It arrived today, just before two days of overcast skies here in the UK. Ah well at least the decision was taken out of my hands, I would have still been pondering it over two months hence. Let's hope it works out. 

Offline Zakalwe

• Uranus
« Reply #7 on: March 18, 2017, 06:59:30 AM »
From the couple of sites I visited the Wedge mounting was described a simple fix, obviously it is not. Any way I will not rush into a decision. :)

It's not. its a sub-optimal solution.

Well after weighing up my options and carefully considering all my options...... My wife went out and bought the 9.25 Nexstar Evolution for me as a Birthday present as it came up on my browsing history. It arrived today, just before two days of overcast skies here in the UK. Ah well at least the decision was taken out of my hands, I would have still been pondering it over two months hence. Let's hope it works out. 

Well. that solves the problem of indecision!
It's fine piece of kit for observation and Lunar/planetary imaging. Enjoy it...the 9.25" is often referred to as a jewel in Celestron's crown.

Offline Bryanpoprobson

• Jupiter
  • Another Clown
« Reply #8 on: March 18, 2017, 07:15:31 AM »
Thank you for the useful replies, when I get a chance in the next couple of weeks I will post a review if any one is interested.

Offline molesworth

• Mars
  • the curse of st custards
« Reply #9 on: March 18, 2017, 09:35:34 AM »
Thank you for the useful replies, when I get a chance in the next couple of weeks I will post a review if any one is interested.
You're in the UK now - you'll need to cross everything you have for clear skies...  ;D
Days spent at sea are not deducted from one's allotted span - Phoenician proverb

Offline Bryanpoprobson

• Jupiter
  • Another Clown
« Reply #10 on: March 18, 2017, 06:55:18 PM »

You're in the UK now - you'll need to cross everything you have for clear skies...  ;D

Funnily enough, when I was in Spain there were plenty of clear skies, but the light pollution was just as bad. The other thing is, the images are sharper in the UK on a cold clear night than they are in Spain on a hot balmy night. :)

Offline Obviousman

• Jupiter
« Reply #11 on: March 18, 2017, 10:37:34 PM »
Is there a telescope that is recommended for beginners? I just figure I might like to watch the night sky on occasion, no serious interest. I'm in a regional area so light pollution is minimal but still present.

Offline Zakalwe

• Uranus
« Reply #12 on: March 19, 2017, 03:50:34 AM »
Get a pair of decent binoculars. They're cheap ane easy to use. Scanning the Mill Way with binos is always a pleasure.

Offline onebigmonkey

• Uranus
  • ALSJ Clown
    • Apollo Hoax Debunked
« Reply #13 on: March 19, 2017, 04:53:17 AM »
For the love of God man have you learned nothing about being married??

ERASE YOUR BROWSER HISTORY!

Offline onebigmonkey

• Uranus
  • ALSJ Clown
    • Apollo Hoax Debunked
« Reply #14 on: March 19, 2017, 04:54:54 AM »
Get a pair of decent binoculars. They're cheap ane easy to use. Scanning the Mill Way with binos is always a pleasure.

You can get mounts for them too to keep them steady. My £50 pair are good enough to pick out Jupiter's moons in ideal conditions :)