Author Topic: JFK assassination - the first shot a ND?  (Read 5649 times)

Offline Allan F

• Saturn
JFK assassination - the first shot a ND?
« on: February 17, 2017, 11:04:01 AM »
I've been looking at the JFK assassination lately, and it seems quite strange that an experienced rifleman as Oswald was, would miss with the first shot - so badly, in fact that the projectile was never found. Is it possible, he had a ND, when he was moving the rifle into position?

I've been shooting long-range (what counts as long-range in Denmark) rifle for some years, but stopped because of other commitments. The distance of the shots were baby-seal-clubbing-range for a rifle, so I have no problems with the two hits. Only the first shot, which went wild.

Well, it is like this: The truth doesn't need insults. Insults are the refuge of a darkened mind, a mind that refuses to open and see. Foul language can't outcompete knowledge. And knowledge is the result of education. Education is the result of the wish to know more, not less.

Offline bknight

• Neptune
Re: JFK assassination - the first shot a ND?
« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2017, 11:56:38 AM »
IIRC There was a signal sign spanning the early part of the turn that may have partially obstructed the President.  That sign was never inspected for a bullet mark, since the early investigation only considered the shots after the Lincoln had completed the turn and was travelling straight away from Oswald.
Truth needs no defense.  Nobody can take those footsteps I made on the surface of the moon away from me.
Eugene Cernan

Offline AtomicDog

• Mars
« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2017, 12:05:20 PM »
Okay, I give up. What's an ND?
"There is no belief, however foolish, that will not gather its faithful adherents who will defend it to the death." - Isaac Asimov

Offline gillianren

• Uranus
    • My Letterboxd journal
« Reply #3 on: February 17, 2017, 12:05:53 PM »
A North Dakota?
"This sounds like a job for Bipolar Bear . . . but I just can't seem to get out of bed!"

"Conspiracy theories are an irresistible labour-saving device in the face of complexity."  --Henry Louis Gates

Offline Allan F

• Saturn
« Reply #4 on: February 17, 2017, 01:10:12 PM »
Negligent discharge - basically, you maneuver the rifle with the safety off and the finger on the trigger, and accidentially fire off a shot. Also called an accidential discharge - which it isn't. It's negligent.
Well, it is like this: The truth doesn't need insults. Insults are the refuge of a darkened mind, a mind that refuses to open and see. Foul language can't outcompete knowledge. And knowledge is the result of education. Education is the result of the wish to know more, not less.

Offline ka9q

• Neptune
« Reply #5 on: February 17, 2017, 05:33:48 PM »
The limousine might have been closest during the first shot but it was also completing a turn and moving rapidly from left to right, making it harder to track. There's also the matter of the signs, traffic signal and oak tree. Oswald's second and third shots were when the limousine was headed almost in a straight line directly away from him, and nothing obscured his line of sight.

Offline Peter B

• Saturn
« Reply #6 on: February 18, 2017, 02:34:42 AM »
IIRC There was a signal sign spanning the early part of the turn that may have partially obstructed the President.  That sign was never inspected for a bullet mark, since the early investigation only considered the shots after the Lincoln had completed the turn and was travelling straight away from Oswald.

I saw a show on TV a couple of years ago which proposed the traffic light theory. It seemed there was no way to confirm it as the traffic light assembly had been long ago replaced. But the people who made the show were able to find some TV footage from the time of the actual Kennedy investigation which, by chance, happened to show the traffic light - with a noticeable hole in it which could easily have been a bullet hole.

Offline Glom

• Saturn
« Reply #7 on: February 18, 2017, 04:04:32 AM »
Negligent discharge - basically, you maneuver the rifle with the safety off and the finger on the trigger, and accidentially fire off a shot. Also called an accidential discharge - which it isn't. It's negligent.
Ok. But you need to tell us these things.