Author Topic: Why I believe in the moon hoax theory  (Read 23311 times)

Offline ineluki

• Earth
Re: Why I believe in the moon hoax theory
« Reply #30 on: November 10, 2016, 03:55:06 AM »
No reply from miker?

He is probably busy trying to decide which old nonsense he is going to "investigate" next...

Offline JayUtah

• Neptune
    • Clavius
« Reply #31 on: November 10, 2016, 12:10:26 PM »
I'm still trying to figure out how someone who says he eats, breathes, and sleeps mechanics would characterize the joints in a space suit as "bearings."
"Facts are stubborn things." --John Adams

Offline Allan F

• Saturn
« Reply #32 on: November 10, 2016, 12:46:29 PM »
Maybe his first language isn't english, and he misunderstood "bellows" as meaning the same thing?
Well, it is like this: The truth doesn't need insults. Insults are the refuge of a darkened mind, a mind that refuses to open and see. Foul language can't outcompete knowledge. And knowledge is the result of education. Education is the result of the wish to know more, not less.

Offline JayUtah

• Neptune
    • Clavius
« Reply #33 on: November 10, 2016, 06:38:21 PM »
Or better yet – build your own vacuum chamber to prove that I'm a liar.

Been there, done that.  My very first project in aerospace, while still an engineering student, was a proposal for the gloves that STS astronauts would use while operating the MMU.  Remember the iconic pictures of Bruce McCandless floating untethered above the Earth?  Yeah, what he's wearing on his hands is a descendent of work I did, including vacuum chamber testing.  And not a crude one hacked together out of PVC and shop odds and ends.  As you discovered, grasping things in space is a problem for a glove that's simply a boundary-offset model of a human hand like the ones you used.  It's a good thing the gloves we developed there were much more than that, as were the Apollo lunar EVA gloves.  It's too bad your professed love of mechanics doesn't pique the interest in discovering how constant-volume joints work.  You seem to want to use your talents only to cast doubt.

Offline VQ

• Earth
« Reply #34 on: November 10, 2016, 10:06:46 PM »
So Miker, if you believe the problem you describe is technically insurmountable then does that mean that all spacewalks have been hoaxes?

Offline Obviousman

• Jupiter
« Reply #35 on: November 11, 2016, 12:14:11 AM »
So Miker, if you believe the problem you describe is technically insurmountable then does that mean that all spacewalks have been hoaxes?

Something tells me you are not going to get any response.

Offline Zakalwe

• Uranus
« Reply #36 on: November 11, 2016, 06:57:18 AM »

Something tells me you are not going to get any response.

Quite.
He's lurked for a two or so after his last post. I have no doubt that he'll follow the standard MO now that he realises that his belief systems are thinner than tissue paper and that this place is not YouTube and is actually populated by people who know what they are talking about. So he'll either come back with a gish-gallop which will result in an im/explosion and banning; or he'll initiate a stealth-flounce back into the ooze.

I call the latter.
« Last Edit: November 11, 2016, 06:58:51 AM by Zakalwe »
"The strain of anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' " - Isaac Asimov

Offline twik

• Jupiter
« Reply #37 on: November 14, 2016, 11:02:21 AM »
I'm still rather astounded at the concept of "I use information from the NASA site that I printed out in 1969."

It sounds like miker probably is too young to remember 1969, because in those days no one "printed off" information from a website. You might be able to photocopy things from books, but finding a copier could be tricky. In the 1960s I recall schoolteachers providing mimeographed exams with their weird chemical smell, not copied ones.

For people who grew up with the internet, the idea of having to go to libraries or write away to agencies for information is rather mindblowing. Nearly as mindblowing as the thought that NASA could change all their written documentation in all the libraries around the world.

Perhaps miker will tell us stories about dancing in the rain at Woodstock, and taking selfies on his phone?

Offline bknight

• Neptune
« Reply #38 on: November 14, 2016, 11:18:30 AM »
I'm still rather astounded at the concept of "I use information from the NASA site that I printed out in 1969."

It sounds like miker probably is too young to remember 1969, because in those days no one "printed off" information from a website. You might be able to photocopy things from books, but finding a copier could be tricky. In the 1960s I recall schoolteachers providing mimeographed exams with their weird chemical smell, not copied ones.

For people who grew up with the internet, the idea of having to go to libraries or write away to agencies for information is rather mindblowing. Nearly as mindblowing as the thought that NASA could change all their written documentation in all the libraries around the world.

Perhaps miker will tell us stories about dancing in the rain at Woodstock, and taking selfies on his phone?
Don't forget referencing articles/books with those index cards, then going to find the citations in each.  I'm thinking the same thing as you miker is young
Truth needs no defense.  Nobody can take those footsteps I made on the surface of the moon away from me.
Eugene Cernan

Offline onebigmonkey

• Uranus
  • ALSJ Clown
    • Apollo Hoax Debunked
« Reply #39 on: November 14, 2016, 11:56:44 AM »
By happy coincidence, a photo on ebay of Charles Duke being fitted out for his suit:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/like/371785760661?dest=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.ebay.co.uk%2Fitm%2F371785760661

Offline raven

• Uranus
« Reply #40 on: November 14, 2016, 03:17:59 PM »
As a matter of curiosity, what is the zig zaggy part just under the knee joint bellows for?

Offline MBDK

• Earth
  • BANNED
« Reply #41 on: November 14, 2016, 04:45:34 PM »

Horrors! Oldfartitis strikes again.

Been there and done that.

I know!  Done there and been that.
"It ain't what they call you, it's what you answer to." - W. C. Fields

"Laugh-a while you can, monkey-boy." - Lord John Whorfin

Offline JayUtah

• Neptune
    • Clavius
« Reply #42 on: November 14, 2016, 05:11:44 PM »
As a matter of curiosity, what is the zig zaggy part just under the knee joint bellows for?

Laces, for restraining the length to which the leg envelope may expand.

Offline raven

• Uranus
« Reply #43 on: November 14, 2016, 05:55:03 PM »
Neat; thanks. :)

Offline ajv

• Venus
« Reply #44 on: November 14, 2016, 07:12:58 PM »

Pete Conrad had an issue during the rest period with the suit length being fractionally too short and "Al did an outstanding job on letting my legs out for me, which took him about an hour.".

A comment in the ALSJ says "Conrad: ... So, there was a cable and we had laces (at the ankle) you could adjust (to lengthen or shorten the leg)... The laces went all the way around..."

Do we think these are the same laces? Perhaps the "at the ankle" editorial comment is wrong.