Author Topic: What was that commercial?  (Read 5741 times)

Offline AstroBrant

• Mars
  • Yes, we did.
What was that commercial?
« on: September 02, 2016, 02:47:11 AM »
Have you seen the goofy video where they put fake, profane dialog over the Apollo 11 landing, along with several obscure video clips? One of those clips was a scene of a "Neil" actor taking his first step on the moon and a light fixture fell during it. I remember someone saying it was originally from a TV commercial, made maybe 15 years ago.

Can anyone tell me what that commercial was? Whose ad was it? And when was it made?
I've looked and I can't find it. Does anyone know where I can see it?

Thanks.
May your skies be clear and your thinking even clearer.
(Youtube: astrobrant2)

Offline Abaddon

• Saturn
Re: What was that commercial?
« Reply #1 on: September 02, 2016, 07:11:27 AM »

Offline JayUtah

• Neptune
    • Clavius
« Reply #2 on: September 02, 2016, 11:32:31 AM »
I and several others simultaneously figured it out on the basis not only of the patent absurdity of it but also from the uninflated condition of the actor's suit.  We were naturally pleased when the studio who made it came clean about it.  What impressed me most was how they managed to simulate the ghosting of a 1970s orthicon pickup tube -- they actually obtained and refurbished a vintage camera.
"Facts are stubborn things." --John Adams

Offline AstroBrant

• Mars
  • Yes, we did.
« Reply #3 on: September 02, 2016, 11:09:58 PM »
http://www.snopes.com/inboxer/hoaxes/moonhoax.asp

Thanks. I should always keep Snopes in mind when things like this come up.

Offline AstroBrant

• Mars
  • Yes, we did.
« Reply #4 on: September 02, 2016, 11:15:22 PM »
I and several others simultaneously figured it out on the basis not only of the patent absurdity of it but also from the uninflated condition of the actor's suit.  We were naturally pleased when the studio who made it came clean about it.  What impressed me most was how they managed to simulate the ghosting of a 1970s orthicon pickup tube -- they actually obtained and refurbished a vintage camera.

I put this together for one YouTuber who claims the two have exactly the same setting:
(Sorry, it's an attachment. I don't know how to embed yet.)
Anyway, let's see if any astute hoax nuts can find any differences between the pictures. They are, after all, such assiduous photo-analysts! ::)

I've also come across the "Mr. Gorsky" story, which is quite entertaining. And of course, it's a deliberate clue that the video is fake.
I noticed the limpness of the suit right away, too. I also noticed that the ladder in the hoax video was much lower to the ground than the one in the real clip.

I guess I was wrong about this being used in a commercial. The Snopes article said that the producer of the hoax video was a space exploration enthusiast who was mocking the hoaxers. Good that you were able to contact him. Is there a public link to his comments on this?
« Last Edit: September 02, 2016, 11:25:14 PM by AstroBrant »

Offline Abaddon

• Saturn
« Reply #5 on: September 05, 2016, 07:19:46 AM »
At least some commentary...

We shot on original 1960's Ikegami Tube Camera in Mount Pleasant Studios in London. The guy in the suit is an actor. The rest of the 'cast' were basically the crew, who thought the idea was very funny and wanted to be in it.

The landing craft and 'moonscape' were a set built by our art director, Richard Selway. The ladder that 'Neil' descends was made according to original blueprints that were downloaded off the Net. The rest of the set was built to match the original as closely as possible.

The moon surface was cement dust. It was disgusting. Even with the studio ventilation on full it got everywhere, and at one point there was so much of it floating round, the lights were flaring really badly.

The footage was treated in post-production to give 'Neil' his weightlessness and the ghosting effect of the original. We re-recorded and processed the soundtrack to recreate the effect of sound traveling all the way from the moon.

We think it's pretty convincing, and one thing's for damn sure – it was a lot cheaper than really going to the moon.

Unfortunately, the guy died shortly after making it so there is not much to show. Also unfortunately, hoax nuts glom onto his death as evidence that he was silenced by NASA.

Offline bknight

• Neptune
« Reply #6 on: September 05, 2016, 10:52:23 AM »

Unfortunately, the guy died shortly after making it so there is not much to show. Also unfortunately, hoax nuts glom onto his death as evidence that he was silenced by NASA.

The long arm of NASA kills/silences again and again. ::)
Truth needs no defense.  Nobody can take those footsteps I made on the surface of the moon away from me.
Eugene Cernan

Offline Abaddon

• Saturn
« Reply #7 on: September 05, 2016, 11:47:12 AM »

It's one of the odder hoax claims. Silence some guy by killing him, but leave his videos up on youtube. Because reasons.

Offline HeadLikeARock

• Venus
« Reply #8 on: September 05, 2016, 09:37:15 PM »
Can anyone tell me what that commercial was? Whose ad was it?

I have a recollection of the clip being used in the UK about 10 years ago to advertise KitKats - I may be mistaken. (You know - take a break, take a KitKat).

Offline Glom

• Saturn
« Reply #9 on: September 06, 2016, 06:12:47 AM »

It's one of the odder hoax claims. Silence some guy by killing him, but leave his videos up on youtube. Because reasons.
Also, NASA's death squads are so slow. Always getting the guy after they've already revealed the truth. We would never have made it to the Moon with this level of efficiency.

Offline Luther

• Venus
« Reply #10 on: September 06, 2016, 05:18:10 PM »
Also, NASA's death squads are so slow.

They should get training from some other branches of the US government, whose death squads are anything but slow.

Offline nomuse

• Jupiter
« Reply #11 on: September 08, 2016, 01:27:10 AM »
Every time I see "silence" in this thread I think I'm seeing "The Silence." Impossible Astronauts and so forth.

Offline frenat

• Mars
« Reply #12 on: September 11, 2016, 09:58:13 PM »
the original website that hosted the video and had the creator admitting it was a fake is no longer online.  But it can be found on the wayback machine

https://web.archive.org/web/20040623080531/http://www.moontruth.com/

And the admission it is fake
https://web.archive.org/web/20040622140927/http://www.moontruth.com/full.htm
-Reality is not determined by your lack of comprehension.
 -Never let facts stand in the way of a good conspiracy theory.
 -There are no bad ideas, just great ideas that go horribly wrong.