Author Topic: Hoaxhead claims Russian film from moon shows radiation damage and stars  (Read 9648 times)

Offline ka9q

• Neptune
Re: Hoaxhead claims Russian film from moon shows radiation damage and stars
« Reply #15 on: September 06, 2016, 01:12:33 AM »
But the film cameras would not have to work after earth landing. Several were left on the moon anyway.

Now I can understand a requirement that the film magazines withstand high humidity for at least several days.

Offline ka9q

• Neptune
« Reply #16 on: September 06, 2016, 01:28:43 AM »
Which white spots in which photographs, specifically?

I see a lot of transmission noise in the earlier pictures, especially Luna-3. Transmission was entirely analog in those days, and the artifacts depend on the transmission speed and modulation type.

Digital image transmission with error correction didn't really get going in the civilian space programs until the mid 1970s, e.g. with Viking on Mars. Even Lunar Orbiter's high quality images were transmitted as analog FM signals; the receiver tapes (made with modified professional video recorders) were dusted off and digitized some years ago with outstanding results. See the Lunar Orbiter Image Recovery Project (LOIRP).

Offline mako88sb

• Mars
« Reply #17 on: September 06, 2016, 01:33:49 AM »
Which white spots in which photographs, specifically?

I see a lot of transmission noise in the earlier pictures, especially Luna-3. Transmission was entirely analog in those days, and the artifacts depend on the transmission speed and modulation type.

Digital image transmission with error correction didn't really get going in the civilian space programs until the mid 1970s, e.g. with Viking on Mars. Even Lunar Orbiter's high quality images were transmitted as analog FM signals; the receiver tapes (made with modified professional video recorders) were dusted off and digitized some years ago with outstanding results. See the Lunar Orbiter Image Recovery Project (LOIRP).

From the HB's post:

["Zoom in and see the bright dots in the shadow of moon and space:
http://mentallandscape.com/C_Zond07_B.jpg"]

The Zond flyby missions soft-landed back on Earth and the film from them was then processed. This is what the HB is going on about.

Offline mako88sb

• Mars
« Reply #18 on: September 06, 2016, 01:46:29 AM »
But the film cameras would not have to work after earth landing. Several were left on the moon anyway.

Now I can understand a requirement that the film magazines withstand high humidity for at least several days.

(6) the possibility of 100 percent relative humidity, including condensation
for 5 days in a temperature range of 80° to 160° F.

Like it's been mentioned, I originally thought about a possible jungle survival situation but the 80° to 160° F requirement has me thinking that in case there was some sort of event whereupon the crew perished and as Jay mentioned an ecs failure as well, then they would try to remotely control the CM to it's atmospheric re-entry and hope the camera footage would still be usable. Not something pleasant to think about but I guess there were probably all sorts of contingency plans for worst case scenarios.

Offline ka9q

• Neptune
« Reply #19 on: September 06, 2016, 02:19:17 AM »

I see a bunch of handling scratches, not much more.

Offline mako88sb

• Mars
« Reply #20 on: September 06, 2016, 02:49:12 AM »

I see a bunch of handling scratches, not much more.

There's 4 white dots fairly close to the right edge. The furthest one to the right is a fair size. Plus there are a bunch of much smaller ones in the same general area. I know it's not what he's referring to in this quote: "The explanation is obvious. Those bright spots are caused by particles in space". Similar issues to the handling scratches or other possibilities as mentioned in reply #1.

Offline onebigmonkey

• Uranus
  • ALSJ Clown
    • Apollo Hoax Debunked
« Reply #21 on: September 09, 2016, 05:28:25 AM »
Moon hoax from 1960!

https://www.rand.org/content/dam/rand/pubs/papers/2008/P1969.pdf

Seems suspicion about lunar photography goes waaaay back!

e2a - I got that link following my nose in references from a 1971 Rand corporation book "The view from Space". It also contains the Zond image linked to above, and that image does contain traces of at least some of the bright spots shown, although not as bright and obvious.
« Last Edit: September 09, 2016, 05:32:03 AM by onebigmonkey »

Offline Mag40

• Mars
« Reply #22 on: September 09, 2016, 12:18:36 PM »
Moon hoax from 1960!

April 1 1960.

Offline bknight

• Neptune
« Reply #23 on: September 09, 2016, 07:13:55 PM »
Moon hoax from 1960!

e2a - I got that link following my nose in references from a 1971 Rand corporation book "The view from Space". It also contains the Zond image linked to above, and that image does contain traces of at least some of the bright spots shown, although not as bright and obvious.
IIRC this may have been as a result of this countries belief that the Soviets did not have the technology to build such rockets and put satellites to the Moon. Arrogance indeed and the Soviets did nothing to help the situation with all the secrecy.  It was an all out space race.
Truth needs no defense.  Nobody can take those footsteps I made on the surface of the moon away from me.
Eugene Cernan