Author Topic: Questions needing answers  (Read 140087 times)

Offline ka9q

• Neptune
Re: Questions needing answers
« Reply #45 on: January 31, 2016, 07:32:19 PM »
It had one, in the form of a battery that was changed between EVAs.
11-cell silver-zinc, nonrechargeable, 16.8 volt, 240 Wh minimum (through Apollo 14), 387.5 Wh minimum (Apollo 15-17).

It is a common layman's mistake to believe the thermal control system required considerable electrical power to operate.  This is sometimes true in vapor-cycle systems that require compressors, but not for sublimation systems.  The heat transfer takes space via normal sublimation.  The only power required is that to pump the sublimant, and to circulate air.
The sublimant (feed water) did not have to be pumped. It was forced into the sublimator by internal suit loop pressure. The coolants (air and especially water) did have to be pumped, because they were closed circuits.

Isn't it amazing what a degreed engineer can learn about Apollo with just a little research in public documents? Maybe it has to do with being a degreed electrical engineer instead of a degreed mechanical engineer. (*ducks quickly*)

Offline bknight

• Neptune
« Reply #46 on: January 31, 2016, 07:42:23 PM »
It had one, in the form of a battery that was changed between EVAs.
11-cell silver-zinc, nonrechargeable, 16.8 volt, 240 Wh minimum (through Apollo 14), 387.5 Wh minimum (Apollo 15-17).

It is a common layman's mistake to believe the thermal control system required considerable electrical power to operate.  This is sometimes true in vapor-cycle systems that require compressors, but not for sublimation systems.  The heat transfer takes space via normal sublimation.  The only power required is that to pump the sublimant, and to circulate air.
The sublimant (feed water) did not have to be pumped. It was forced into the sublimator by internal suit loop pressure. The coolants (air and especially water) did have to be pumped, because they were closed circuits.

Isn't it amazing what a degreed engineer can learn about Apollo with just a little research in public documents? Maybe it has to do with being a degreed electrical engineer instead of a degreed mechanical engineer. (*ducks quickly*)
His research is poor to nonexistent, when you read the whole thread
Truth needs no defense.  Nobody can take those footsteps I made on the surface of the moon away from me.
Eugene Cernan

Offline tradosaurus

• Venus
  • BANNED
« Reply #47 on: January 31, 2016, 07:42:55 PM »
WOW a flat-Earther also, but I could've guessed that. ::)

This individual has been raving over on the Flat Earth Society for a few months.
http://www.theflatearthsociety.org/forum/index.php?PHPSESSID=a4tsvp20lgneahn6ii4ino7411&action=profile;area=showposts;u=1046975
Awww...that's old news.  I've since grown in wisdom and understanding to see the universe as much smaller and the globe earth as an impossibility. 
NASA:  Faking space for over 50 years.

Offline Apollo 957

• Earth
« Reply #48 on: January 31, 2016, 07:46:41 PM »
the globe earth as an impossibility.

I'll probably regret this, but ... WHY?

When folks have been certain of it as a globe since, oh, Roman times, and this has persisted through all manner of civilisations and scientific communities, what makes you such a speciality?

Offline Gazpar

• Earth
« Reply #49 on: January 31, 2016, 07:51:37 PM »
WOW a flat-Earther also, but I could've guessed that. ::)

This individual has been raving over on the Flat Earth Society for a few months.
http://www.theflatearthsociety.org/forum/index.php?PHPSESSID=a4tsvp20lgneahn6ii4ino7411&action=profile;area=showposts;u=1046975
Awww...that's old news.  I've since grown in wisdom and understanding to see the universe as much smaller and the globe earth as an impossibility.
Why do you think it is an impossibility?

Offline ka9q

• Neptune
« Reply #50 on: January 31, 2016, 07:52:35 PM »
using the same kind of equipment they use in low Earth orbit which has the same thermal environment.  Your quoted temps are the MAX and MIN temps for the surface.  It takes time to heat up or cool down.  They weren't there when the surface was near those temps and even then only their boots would have been in contact with it.
Although there is no heat transfer by conduction or convection between the earth or moon and a nearby spacecraft, there can be substantial radiative heat transfer. So the lunar and low earth orbit environments are actually rather different.

Solar insolation on the equatorial moon: 1.361 kW/m2 continuous for 2 weeks, absent for 2 weeks.
Solar insolation in LEO: 1.361 kW/m2 ~90 min cycle, ~50% to 100% depending on beta angle.

Deep space (dark sky): same, ~3K blackbody.

Earth albedo: ~0.37
Lunar albedo: ~0.14

Earth effective blackbody temp: 255 K
Moon blackbody temp: 100-373K

For Apollo, these differences were not as significant as they might seem because landings were always conducted in the early lunar morning when surface temperatures (and longwave IR radiation) were quite moderate. Surface temperature was not determined by thermal lag (the surface actually had a very low thermal capacity) but by the sun elevation angle, which varied only slowly. Even Apollo 17, with the longest lunar stay, was long gone by local noon.
« Last Edit: January 31, 2016, 07:54:38 PM by ka9q »

Offline dwight

• Jupiter
    • Live Tv From the Moon
« Reply #51 on: January 31, 2016, 07:56:25 PM »
Aah. Flat earthers. You know there is something is amiss with their line of thinking when even Jarrah White thinks they are fools.
"Honeysuckle TV on line!"

Offline JayUtah

• Neptune
    • Clavius
« Reply #52 on: January 31, 2016, 07:58:46 PM »
Awww...that's old news.

No, not really.  I wouldn't classify your statements here any higher than ignorant ravings.

I've since grown in wisdom and understanding to see the universe as much smaller and the globe earth as an impossibility.

Be that as it may, you haven't grown in the wisdom and understanding of the things you propose to criticize, or the basic sciences upon which they rest.  You're not a guru.  You're not a sage.  You're about as ignorant of the real enterprise of spacefaring as one can possibly be.
"Facts are stubborn things." --John Adams

Offline frenat

• Mars
« Reply #53 on: January 31, 2016, 08:02:55 PM »
1) Why does the earth look so small in the background of photographs on the moon.  The earth should be much larger.
The camera was using a wide angle lens.

That's awesome with 1960's camera technology.  In addition the astronauts had the cameras fitted to the front of the suits with no view finders so I think they did a fantastic job of getting all these great and clear shots.

https://www.hq.nasa.gov/alsj/a11/a11-hass.html

From the humor department of NASA:  "The Data Camera was given a silver finish to make it more resistant to thermal variations that ranged from full Sun to full shadow helping maintain a more uniform internal temperature.".
You think they had "all these great and clear shots"?  Really?  Thank you for proving you haven't bothered to look at many of the pics yourself and are just getting your claims from hoax sites.  The vast majority of the pics are off-center, out of focus, over or under exposed, etc.
-Reality is not determined by your lack of comprehension.
 -Never let facts stand in the way of a good conspiracy theory.
 -There are no bad ideas, just great ideas that go horribly wrong.

Offline tradosaurus

• Venus
  • BANNED
« Reply #54 on: January 31, 2016, 08:06:06 PM »
Well so far my post has demonstrated to me that NASA space is a religion.  I get mostly derogatory comments that indicate a concern of members who have their belief system questioned.  I guess the same type of response from cults like the Mormons and Scientologists.

Please review this image.  It is a diagram of the Saturn V Rocket that NASA says sent 3 men to the moon and back on a 6 day journey not including a 1 day stint on the moon.  So for 6 days the 3 astro-nots spent cramped in the Command Module, which is listed as 10'-7" in height and 12'-10" in diamter.  The room I'm typing in now is about 11' square and about 8 ft in height.  I'm imagining putting food, water, fuel, parachute, 3 men and instruments in a room this size and I don't see much room for the astro-nots to move around.  So basically for 3 days, 3 astro-nots were most likely strapped to their chair and had eat, pee/poop somehow and dispose of their waste.  In staged videos from NASA it shows the 3 astro-nots moving around the CM as if there is plenty of room.   
Also step 4 on the phases of the trip it states that the CSM turns and docks with the Lunar Module.  That's a neat parlor trick while moving at a fast clip around the moon. 
http://www.humansinspace.org/wp/wp-content/uploads/2014/02/jason_harding_dorling_kindersly_dk_space_saturn_v_rocket_apollo_spacecraft_man_on_the_moon_3d_render_visual_illustration.jpg

Offline ka9q

• Neptune
« Reply #55 on: January 31, 2016, 08:07:20 PM »
You provide figures for battery capacity, but you don't say how much electricity you think was needed to power the space suit.
These figures are from the same documents that give battery capacity:

Coolant water pump: 8.4 W nominal, 10.0 W max
Oxygen circulation fan: 21.8 W nominal, 32.5 W max
Communications: 10.9 W nominal, 12.8 W max

As mentioned previously, no electrical power was required to actually cool the oxygen or water because it's an open-loop system much like a terrestrial swamp cooler. The "power" to drive the feedwater into the sublimator was provided by pressure in the oxygen storage bottles.

Offline carpediem

• Venus
« Reply #56 on: January 31, 2016, 08:15:28 PM »
  So for 6 days the 3 astro-nots spent cramped in the Command Module, which is listed as 10'-7" in height and 12'-10" in diamter.  The room I'm typing in now is about 11' square and about 8 ft in height.  I'm imagining putting food, water, fuel, parachute, 3 men and instruments in a room this size and I don't see much room for the astro-nots to move around. 
We've done this before.

1.   The Command Module being only 210 cubic feet would not fit (3) men all the food, water, air, spacesuits, boots, helmets, cameras film and equipment needed for up to 10-11 days in space. The usual reply is that these items were in the Lem or the service module, but that would be very unsafe (not to mention bringing back hundreds of pounds of moon rocks)
Are you DAKDAK?

Offline JayUtah

• Neptune
    • Clavius
« Reply #57 on: January 31, 2016, 08:16:21 PM »
I get mostly derogatory comments that indicate a concern of members who have their belief system questioned.

You get properly criticized for your demonstrated ignorance.

I'm imagining putting food, water, fuel, parachute, 3 men and instruments in a room this size and I don't see much room for the astro-nots to move around.

Asked and answered.  The consumables except food were stored outside the habitable volume. 

3 astro-nots were most likely strapped to their chair and had eat, pee/poop somehow and dispose of their waste.

Only in your imagination.

In staged videos from NASA it shows the 3 astro-nots moving around the CM as if there is plenty of room.

If you're aware of what is purported to have transpired in the Apollo spacecraft, why have you simply invented a different story?  What is your evidence that the astronauts were "strapped to a chair," etc.?

That's a neat parlor trick while moving at a fast clip around the moon.

How so?  It's a straightforward example of orbital mechanics.  Except you don't believe in orbital mechanics because evidently you don't believe in orbits, because you have your own private version of celestial mechanics.  Because of your preconceived (if real) belief in a flat Earth, you simply declare that things contradicted by your belief cannot possibly have occurred.  You are unable to discuss any actual facts.  How is that not a religion?
"Facts are stubborn things." --John Adams

Offline frenat

• Mars
« Reply #58 on: January 31, 2016, 08:19:04 PM »
Well so far my post has demonstrated to me that NASA space is a religion.  I get mostly derogatory comments that indicate a concern of members who have their belief system questioned.  I guess the same type of response from cults like the Mormons and Scientologists.
You got answers to every one of your questions.  The derogatory parts were in calling you out for your lack of research and logical fallacies.  Grow up.

Please review this image.  It is a diagram of the Saturn V Rocket that NASA says sent 3 men to the moon and back on a 6 day journey not including a 1 day stint on the moon.  So for 6 days the 3 astro-nots spent cramped in the Command Module, which is listed as 10'-7" in height and 12'-10" in diamter.  The room I'm typing in now is about 11' square and about 8 ft in height.  I'm imagining putting food, water, fuel, parachute, 3 men and instruments in a room this size and I don't see much room for the astro-nots to move around.  So basically for 3 days, 3 astro-nots were most likely strapped to their chair and had eat, pee/poop somehow and dispose of their waste.  In staged videos from NASA it shows the 3 astro-nots moving around the CM as if there is plenty of room.   
You move around the floor of your room.  They could move around all parts due to weightlessness.

Also step 4 on the phases of the trip it states that the CSM turns and docks with the Lunar Module.  That's a neat parlor trick while moving at a fast clip around the moon. 
http://www.humansinspace.org/wp/wp-content/uploads/2014/02/jason_harding_dorling_kindersly_dk_space_saturn_v_rocket_apollo_spacecraft_man_on_the_moon_3d_render_visual_illustration.jpg
So more argument from incredulity then?  Why would it be a problem when they weren't accelerating then?  They are traveling in the same direction, at the same speed, with no wind or other factors to cause any issues.  Why do you think it would be a "neat parlor trick"?
-Reality is not determined by your lack of comprehension.
 -Never let facts stand in the way of a good conspiracy theory.
 -There are no bad ideas, just great ideas that go horribly wrong.

Offline tradosaurus

• Venus
  • BANNED
« Reply #59 on: January 31, 2016, 08:24:19 PM »
the globe earth as an impossibility.

I'll probably regret this, but ... WHY?

When folks have been certain of it as a globe since, oh, Roman times, and this has persisted through all manner of civilisations and scientific communities, what makes you such a speciality?

Mathematically, given a 7,917 mile earth diameter and 25,000 miles in equatorial circumference, a curvature of 7.935 inches to the mile, varying inversely as the square of the distance, meaning in 3 miles there is a declination of nearly 6 feet, in 30 miles 600 feet, in 300 miles 60,000 feet and so on.  See image at http://flatearthwiki.com/images/f/fb/Bluemarb.jpg.
Basically you should not see a building across, say the chicago skyline from Grand mere state park, which is about 50 miles away. But you can see it.

Brian Mullins, profession civil engineer, has a good video talking about the mythical gravity and gravitational constant.

Earth is a globe and water adheres to a curves surface?  LOL. 

Basically we have been brainwashed by "scientists" to ignore our observations and BELIEVE in things we cannot see.