Recent Posts

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 10
General Discussion / Re: Searching for Skylab
« Last post by Obviousman on September 19, 2017, 10:58:37 PM »
Did you interview people who saw it re-enter (points at self)?

LOL!

Excellent work - can't wait to see the full feature.

You're Captain Invincible?!! :D

Believe it or not, I really enjoyed that movie.
The Hoax Theory / Re: Gardum's thread
« Last post by smartcooky on September 19, 2017, 09:36:17 PM »
...but I think a big one was simply its high mechanical strength. NASA wanted to cram as many exposures as possible into each film magazine, and that meant making the film base as thin as possible.

Very much so.  The same constraints existed for the magazines used in CORONA and in ordinary aerial photography.  At my museum we have some old SR-71 magazines with some stock still in it.  Very, very thin.

We used to use sprocketless 35mm film which we ran in Perkin Elmer Model 2-18 Minipan cameras.  It was very thin and it broke very easily. We used short pieces (about 1m long) for testing. Trying to load them into one of those stainless wire developing spools was bloody frustrating.
« Last post by Count Zero on September 19, 2017, 08:32:12 PM »
From Skylab: Joe Kerwin, Paul Weitz, Jack Lousma, Owen Garriott, Ed Gibson, Dr Lubos Kouhoutek

Well, of course Dr. Kouhoutek wasn't on Skylab, but it shows you attention to detail that you're including him.  Iirc, it was the first time a comet had been studied using space-based instruments.

Where's Al Bean?
The Reality of Apollo / Re: Digitizing my Apollo audio tapes.
« Last post by ka9q on September 19, 2017, 05:14:53 PM »
I used audacity just to look at the spectrum and autocorrelation. I am also using my ears (I'm a radio ham and digital signal processing guy). I'm almost certain you've found PLSS telemetry. The occasional abrupt changes are probably a manual switch to a different channel.

There were four channels, two from each PLSS. One carried the astronaut's EKG, the other the telemetry from the suit itself.

You found these in a thrift store?!!?
« Last post by Trebor on September 19, 2017, 12:33:07 PM »
I know one source where Gardum got some figures. (see attached pdf)
He quoted the temperatures from the Storage->Processed Film section in a reply on a youtube thread. Without actually naming the document or including the 'For best keeping'.
The Reality of Apollo / Re: Digitizing my Apollo audio tapes.
« Last post by apollo16uvc on September 19, 2017, 10:48:06 AM »
The original uploaded file extension is WAV. 706kbs something, 16-bit. archive.org uploads the original .wav file but also converts it to mp3, flac, ogg and stuff. So the FLAC is just a converted version of the original WAV.

My USB audio card supports up to 24-bit 96Khz. Tape speed is 7 1/2 inch/s

I got one Apollo 11 tape and several Apollo 17 tapes at a thriftstore. So far none of my Apollo 17 tapes have any audio like on Apollo 11. Apollo 17 is all voice.

Have you found anything using Audacity?
« Last post by JayUtah on September 19, 2017, 10:24:31 AM »
...but I think a big one was simply its high mechanical strength. NASA wanted to cram as many exposures as possible into each film magazine, and that meant making the film base as thin as possible.

Very much so.  The same constraints existed for the magazines used in CORONA and in ordinary aerial photography.  At my museum we have some old SR-71 magazines with some stock still in it.  Very, very thin.
« Last post by Al Johnston on September 19, 2017, 07:26:40 AM »
Did you interview people who saw it re-enter (points at self)?

LOL!

Excellent work - can't wait to see the full feature.

You're Captain Invincible?!! :D
« Last post by dwight on September 19, 2017, 07:18:31 AM »
Richard's mother and Owen's first wife, Helen Garriot, who was part of the SL-3 prank, when she "called" Houston from Skylab, sadly passed away September 5.
« Last post by Geordie on September 19, 2017, 12:53:45 AM »
Lord British (born Richard Garriot,) who made a packet writing (and at first self-marketing in ziploc bags) the Ultima adventure game series for Wozniak's APPLE ][+, of which an important element was space travel, spent the greater part of his fortune to be an early space tourist.

It seems he had always wanted to follow in his father's footsteps. As a big fan of Ultima since 1982, I found this to be moving, if not outright romantic.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 10