Recent Posts

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10
General Discussion / Re: The Trump Presidency
« Last post by raven on Today at 12:04:14 PM »
I loved these little details, which are waaaay too subtle for Trumplethinskin to work out.
https://www.vox.com/2018/7/19/17586942/queen-elizabeth-brooch-warfare-trump-obama-code
Sometimes a broach is just a broach, to paraphrase, but, on the other hand, I would not put it past her.
She's a smart old biddy.
« Last post by Zakalwe on Today at 07:01:39 AM »
I loved these little details, which are waaaay too subtle for Trumplethinskin to work out.
https://www.vox.com/2018/7/19/17586942/queen-elizabeth-brooch-warfare-trump-obama-code
« Last post by Zakalwe on Today at 07:00:38 AM »

He's elbowed other people out of the way to be in front (despite being taller than all of them so therefore easily visible wherever he stands),

Witness this picture. Trump, with his usual shit-eating grin, has been positioned in front of the Queen with his wife even further back. No doubt this was to make him appear physically larger.
His narcissistic ego is soooooo frail.
« Last post by nweber on Today at 03:50:18 AM »
Yesterday, he announced that his new buddy, Vlad, is going to visit The White House in the fall.

"Vlad" is short for "Vladislav".
« Last post by Jason Thompson on July 21, 2018, 12:01:08 PM »
It's always all about him. Not America, not world relations, just him. Even if he has to bullshit everyone around to make himself look more important. His recent UK visit is just a great example. He claims the Queen inspected the honour guard just for him, for the first time in 70 years. So blatantly untrue it's hard to know where to begin, but lets just mention that a) she hasn't been Queen for 70 years (although she is our longest-reigning monarch ever), and b) she inspects the guard several times a year and it's often part of the deal when other heads of state visit. And let's not even go into the way he walked in front of her. Royal protocol aside (one does not walk ahead of the monarch when accompanying her, even her husband is always a few paces behind her), he's on a visit with a 92-year-old lady and he just strides in front and makes it all about him. And of course he whined about the baby balloon protest, thus reinforcing the reason it was put up in the first place.

He's elbowed other people out of the way to be in front (despite being taller than all of them so therefore easily visible wherever he stands), constantly overstated his importance, and generally just acted like a bully on the world stage. He's been criticised for failing to obtain any agreements from Kim Jong-Un during the summit meeting, but that assumes he was actually interested in doing anything but making history as the first US President to meet the head of the North Korean state.

The most frustrating part of this whole deal is that he is actually making good on a lot of his election promises. It's just a shame that a lot of what he promised to do is such a bad idea from so many perspectives.
« Last post by smartcooky on July 20, 2018, 08:51:03 PM »
Have a read of this list....

1. Superiority and entitlement. Tells everyone how good they are. Be the best, the most right, and the most competent; do everything their way; own everything; and control everyone.

2. Exaggerated need for attention and validation. Has to be at the centre of everything that is going one

3. Need to control. A sense of entitlement makes it seem logical to them that they should be in control....  of everything.

4. Lack of responsibility, blaming others and deflecting criticism. Never accept responsibility for the results of their action. Generalising blame; all police, all bosses, all teachers, all Democrats etc.

5. Lack of boundaries. Like 2-year-olds, believe that everything belongs to them and that no-one can refuse their demands.

6. Lack of empathy. Inability to empathise with the suffering of others. Selfish and self-involved and are usually unable to understand what other people are feeling.

7. Highly attuned to perceived threats and anger from others. Nearly blind to the feelings of the people around them. May even misperceive comments as an attack. Likely to misinterpret sarcasm as actual agreement, and misinterpret joking from others as personal criticism.

8. Emotional reasoning. Make most of their decisions based on how they feel about something. Always expecting everyone to go along with their “solutions,” and react with irritation and resentment if they don’t.

9. No shame
Feels no guilt because they think they are always right.

10. An inability to communicate effectively or work as part of a team.
Dismissive of the opinions of others who don't agree with him. If in a position to do so, will get rid of these people and draw in people who will.

Any of this look at all familiar. Well, they are good fit for Trump's behaviour.... they are also some of the key symptoms of NPD - Narcissistic Personality Disorder.

(PS: I'm sorry if these observations offends those who don't like us discussing mental health here, but I'm simply reporting what I have observed)
« Last post by smartcooky on July 20, 2018, 07:04:51 PM »
On top of all those things, there are a great number of indicators that trump is quite simply, way out of his depth in this job. Among those are

- He was told by Attorney General Sally Yates that his National Security Advisor, Michael Flynn was a security risk because he had been compromised by Russia and had been having secret talks with them. Instead of firing him immediately (or at least suspending him), Trump waited two and a half weeks (during which time Flynn still had access to top security information) before he did anything about him. For a man who had previously acted decisively with regard to executive orders and knee-jerk tweeting, he sure dropped the ball on this one, big time.

- He then fired said Attorney General, presumably because he didn't like the advice she gave him and didn't like being forced to fire his appointee. He actually has routinely fired anyone who doesn't tell him what he wants to hear.

- He makes policy on the hoof. Yesterday, he announced that his new buddy, Vlad, is going to visit The White House in the fall. The first that the US Chief of Intelligence, Dan Coats, knew about it was when he was told during a live interview at a security conference. I mean what the actual f**k!!? Coats should have been the FIRST person to know about that, not the last!

- He has called the news media "enemies of the people". This is a very bad mistake. Its the sort of thing that brutal dictators have done; Stalin, Khrushchev, Mao Zedong. Here's CNN's Chris Cuomo's take, which pretty much aligns with my own.

https://youtu.be/srV2IHAZg5I

- He has crapped all over his allies, while cuddling up to his new best buddy, a criminal & brutal dictator

Trump is a liability to the US, and IMO, a danger to everyone on the planet, both within and outwith the USA
« Last post by gillianren on July 20, 2018, 01:11:36 PM »
I genuinely don't believe he loves his country.  I don't believe he loves anything other than himself.  He thinks he can use his country, and if the Russians helped him with that, what's wrong with that?  They were helping him, which means they're less important than he is.  As is everyone.  He still thinks he's gotten the best of the deal, and he doesn't believe in a deal where both people win.  He certainly doesn't see how much he's lost in this one.
« Last post by twik on July 20, 2018, 11:29:24 AM »
I personally don't think there's any question (and before Trump I would have considered myself the "don't ascribe to malice what can be accounted for by stupidity" type of non-conspiracist).

But Trump was apparently officially told about the Russian attacks two weeks before the inauguration. Since then, he has repeatedly attacked investigations into them as "witch hunts." I do not believe any person who loves their country would behave in this manner.

If I wanted to get into more speculative territory, it appears that after Trump was informed of incontrovertible evidence, including e-mails and texts from high government sources, Putin purged a number of high officials who might have been in a position to leak such things to the US. If connected, that could mean that Trump informed Putin of US assets, possibly leading to their arrest and/or execution. That, to my mind, would be undeniable treason.

Furthermore, his behaviour with regards to Helsinki seems to indicate that he has no regard for even the appearance of impropriety. His consideration of turning Browder and especially McFaul over for Russian interrogation should have been enough to have him impeached immediately in normal times.

As it is, his supporters have started to shift from "there's not evidence of collusion" to "well, if Russia affected the election, hey, they were just helping Make America Great Again, so yay Russia!"

I suspect that if one of the Trump children is indicted, things will explode. How, I'm not sure, but Trump is already showing signs of not coping with the stress.
The Hoax Theory / Re: Fuel
« Last post by ka9q on July 20, 2018, 04:35:30 AM »
It's actually momentum, which is just mass times velocity, as opposed to kinetic energy, which is one half mass times velocity squared. When you fire a gun, nearly all of the kinetic energy goes into the bullet but exactly equal (and opposite) amounts of momentum go into the bullet and into the gun (and whoever is holding it).

In that case, imparting kinetic energy to the bullet is the desired outcome since the bullet will, in turn, deposit that kinetic energy into its target.

A rocket is both like and unlike a gun. While the basic physics are much the same (both are heat engines) the ultimate purposes are very different. A chemical rocket first converts the energy stored in the propellants into heat energy by burning them in the combustion chamber. Then it uses a nozzle to convert that heat energy into kinetic energy of its exhaust. Unlike the gun, this is not the ultimate goal but it's necessary if you want to impart momentum to the exhaust, which in turn imparts an equal and opposite momentum applied to the rocket. That's the ultimate goal. On the other hand, the goal of a gun is to impart kinetic energy to the bullet, and the recoil is just an annoying but necessary side effect. In a rocket, the recoil is the desired effect and the kinetic energy imparted to the exhaust (and the effect on anything it happens to hit) is just the annoying cost of doing that.

Unfortunately, because momentum (which you want) goes up only linearly with velocity, while kinetic energy goes up as velocity squared, increasing exhaust velocity to achieve more impulse (thrust times time) with a given mass of propellant requires a linearly greater total amount of energy for each unit of impulse. That's the famous "tyranny of the rocket equation."
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10