Author Topic: Apollo 16 footage played on Ampex Quadruplex video reel VR-2000B  (Read 4905 times)

Offline apollo16uvc

• Mars
  • Where no telescope has gone before.
    • Patreon
On my request, Zdenek digitized his 2 inch Ampex Quadruplex reel labled Apollo 16.

Thank you very much Zdenek for making this possible.

More might come from an other, much bigger +10inch reel that may contain Apollo 17 footage.

2 inch Ampex Quadruplex reel, labled Apollo 16 being played on restored Ampex VR-2000B. Contains AS 16 Launch, live footage and splashdown.

Raw unedited footage of the tape from 3:01

Source:

Uploads to internet made by me in case YT source goes down:

This video file has been downloaded from YT with 4kvideodownloader set to original resolution, MP4.

As long as the YT link is still up, it is preferred as it naturally has less compression than this download. That is the nature of YT video and lossy codexes, it is out of my hands.
https://drive.google.com/file/d/0BxS3Nsrmk63eMnJpdndualJPNGM/view?usp=sharing
https://archive.org/details/AS16AMPEX1

Discuss!
« Last Edit: August 24, 2017, 02:13:50 PM by apollo16uvc »
Watch me at: YouTube
Experience the past: Flickr
Support me on Patreon

Offline apollo16uvc

• Mars
    • Patreon
Re: Apollo 16 footage played on Ampex Quadruplex video reel VR-2000B
« Reply #1 on: August 24, 2017, 02:23:18 PM »
This is of course a punch in the nuts for anyone who claims NASA edited the live footage they put online, or made it recently for the internet.
Support me on Patreon

Offline smartcooky

• Uranus
« Reply #2 on: August 24, 2017, 03:49:27 PM »
Pretty amazing footage that show just how mundane and "routine" Lunar surface operations were.
If you're not a scientist but you think you've destroyed the foundation of a vast scientific edifice with 10 minutes of Googling, you might want to consider the possibility that you're wrong.

Offline bknight

• Neptune
« Reply #3 on: August 25, 2017, 08:50:03 AM »
Not being an electrical engineer, what is the black vertical bar in the monitor of the play back machine.  The right hand monitor doesn't have it so I'm guessing this is some sort of phase shift?
Truth needs no defense.  Nobody can take those footsteps I made on the surface of the moon away from me.
Eugene Cernan

Offline apollo16uvc

• Mars
    • Patreon
« Reply #4 on: August 25, 2017, 09:18:10 AM »
Not being an electrical engineer, what is the black vertical bar in the monitor of the play back machine.  The right hand monitor doesn't have it so I'm guessing this is some sort of phase shift?
The monitor on the VR-2000B can display the video signal on different stages through the electronics. I am guessing at that moment it was displaying the video signal before it got phase corrected.
Support me on Patreon

Offline bobdude11

• Venus
« Reply #5 on: August 26, 2017, 01:52:31 PM »
I honestly am in awe of the combined knowledge on this board. It makes me feel amateurish about space ... oh, wait ... I am an amateur ...
However, if anyone needs advice on how to fix their PC ...  ;D
Robert Clark -
CISSP, MISM, MCSE and some other alphabet certifications.
I am moving to Theory ... everything works in Theory
"Everybody remember where we parked." James Tiberius Kirk, Captain, U.S.S. Enterprise

Offline eyesat

• Mercury
« Reply #6 on: October 29, 2017, 07:52:53 AM »
The monitor on the VR-2000B can display the video signal on different stages through the electronics. I am guessing at that moment it was displaying the video signal before it got phase corrected.

Greetings Gents

I started as a broadcast tech for the Australian national broadcaster (ABC) back in the early 1980's. In 1984 on my first day in videotape as a trainee was the day they decommissioned the last VR2000 and moved it out of videotape. From memory they had to bring in a crane to get down to ground level.

The VR2000 is a quadruplex VTR and records video at right angle to the direction of tape travel. There are 4 video heads on the head wheel and each head plays/records 16 lines of video as it passes over the tape. The saw tooth pattern you can see is the video from each head.

Before recording or playing a videotape the machine has to be set up with electronic (head amp gain) and mechanical (tip penetration and guide height) adjustments to normalise the signals onto the tape. There are other adjustments but that's all I can remember.

apollo16uvc is correct about the reason for the delay of the video signal. I'm a bit hazy (it's been 30 years) but the delayed picture was a setting that showed the video signal pre timebase corrector. You would physically adjust the position of the headwheel tip penetration and guide height to minimise that sawtooth as much as possible to reduce the amount of work the timebase corrector had to do. They could only correct a few microseconds of error.

From memory the VR2000 we had was originally black and white but was later updated to colour and had the editor option added. There was a oscilloscope permanently sitting next to it for the morning alignment.

We were still using later model quad machines (AVR-1, AVR-2, ACR-25) well into the 90's for production and then archive.

Quadruplex park website is a good resource for quad vtr's for those who are interested.

http://www.lionlamb.us/quad/ampex.html

That generation of ampex VTR relied on a combination of electronics, mechanics and pneumatic engineering that was almost artistry. Ahh, memories.

Regards

Ian