Author Topic: Is the Scientific Process, Standards of Proof ignored by NASA Supporters?  (Read 229382 times)

Offline Echnaton

• Saturn
Re: Is the Scientific Process, Standards of Proof ignored by NASA Supporters?
« Reply #450 on: February 10, 2015, 01:19:23 PM »
the fact that they think women are interchangeable to female voters, regardless of political slant, is just insulting to female voters.

Pandering is such a part of politics that I never even bother to feel insulted anymore. Even as galling as this particular example should have been.  It was an act of desperation because despite the fact that McCain got the nomination, he was a terrible presidential candidate and had been from the first time he tried for the nomination.  There was simply no one better that year.  But pandering often works and some people will vote for candidate based on their sex, ethnicity or other superficial characteristics. 

As much as I don't care for H. Clinton's politics, she is a remarkable person and can handle herself at a press conference or anywhere else.
The sun shone, having no alternative, on the nothing new. —Samuel Beckett

Offline onebigmonkey

• Uranus
  • ALSJ Clown
    • Apollo Hoax Debunked
« Reply #451 on: February 10, 2015, 01:39:28 PM »
Am I the only person who watched Veep?

Offline JayUtah

• Neptune
    • Clavius
« Reply #452 on: February 10, 2015, 01:52:04 PM »
Pandering is such a part of politics that I never even bother to feel insulted anymore.

Douglas Adams got it right, I think.  In introducing the character Zaphod Beeblebrox, he noted that any person who could manage to get himself elected to a high office should under no circumstances be allowed to have the job.
"Facts are stubborn things." --John Adams

Offline ka9q

• Neptune
« Reply #453 on: February 10, 2015, 03:04:20 PM »
Yes, that is one of my favorite HHGttG bits.

Offline Bob B.

• Jupiter
  • Bob the Excel Guru™
    • Rocket & Space Technology
« Reply #454 on: February 10, 2015, 04:02:48 PM »
To me, a stupid person must be incapable of understanding, reasoning, wit, or sense.  I seldom believe that conspiracists are incapable of thinking.  In fact, we've seen that most of them are actually capable of attaining degrees, holding decent jobs, and so forth.  They aren't stupid.  (Most of them.)
I was actually kind of offended by their selection of her, since they admitted it was intended to woo female Hillary Clinton voters who were mad that Obama got the nomination instead.  And say what you like about Hillary, but at least no one has ever accused her of being dumb.  Dumb is a dealbreaker for me in a politician, and the fact that they think women are interchangeable to female voters, regardless of political slant, is just insulting to female voters.

Seriously?  Conspiracists aren't stupid but Sarah Palin is?

Offline smartcooky

• Uranus
« Reply #455 on: February 10, 2015, 05:35:24 PM »

Yeah, I can go along with that.

Conspiracy Theorists can be quite intelligent, articulate individuals, just sadly misguided. Intelligence does not make a person immune from doing or saying stupid things. I think Bill Clinton would agree with me on that.

On the other hand, Sarah Palin is just plain stupid.
If you're not a scientist but you think you've destroyed the foundation of a vast scientific edifice with 10 minutes of Googling, you might want to consider the possibility that you're wrong.

Offline Chief

• Venus
« Reply #456 on: February 10, 2015, 06:10:32 PM »
To me, a stupid person must be incapable of understanding, reasoning, wit, or sense.  I seldom believe that conspiracists are incapable of thinking.  In fact, we've seen that most of them are actually capable of attaining degrees, holding decent jobs, and so forth.  They aren't stupid.  (Most of them.)
I was actually kind of offended by their selection of her, since they admitted it was intended to woo female Hillary Clinton voters who were mad that Obama got the nomination instead.  And say what you like about Hillary, but at least no one has ever accused her of being dumb.  Dumb is a dealbreaker for me in a politician, and the fact that they think women are interchangeable to female voters, regardless of political slant, is just insulting to female voters.

Sarah Palin suffers from verbal incontinence, I don't think she is as stupid as she looks she just isn't very articulate and she tends to try to use her supporter's fears to gain brownie points.

I feel that putting a woman in power just for the fact she is a woman is an insult to all women. It's like saying " You may or may not be as good as a man but have the job anyway because we need to suck the female demographic in". Equality should mean the right person for the job regardless of gender.

I disagree with a particular quota of women in cabinet same as I disagree for a particular quota of 'ethnics'. I do understand the notion of appealing to certain demographics, I just think it should be done on the merits of the policies not who are selling them.

I do feel, probably naïvely, that all politicians should be accountable for their performance during their time in power. Get rid of the lobbying, put aside x amount of dollars of equal amounts for both parties' campaigns and let the policies speak for themselves.

Offline Echnaton

• Saturn
« Reply #457 on: February 10, 2015, 06:43:54 PM »
I don't think of Palin as stupid, which anyways  is a vague way to describe anyone and just name calling.  Probably just about average overall with a few significant strengths and notable weaknesses.  But totally ill suited for national politics.  One characteristic she seems to share with many conspiracy theorists is that she appears to be clueless or carefree  as to how others perceive her.  She does what she does without any appearance of refection on how it will come off.  Like a bad character actor that can only deliver a few lines in one voice.  Once she has to step outside her "act" she is off persona and bumbles things badly.  It can be as strength and a weakness in politics depending on the level and how well the "on" persona connects with voters. 
« Last Edit: February 10, 2015, 06:46:08 PM by Echnaton »

Offline Echnaton

• Saturn
« Reply #458 on: February 10, 2015, 06:54:09 PM »
Pandering is such a part of politics that I never even bother to feel insulted anymore.

Douglas Adams got it right, I think.  In introducing the character Zaphod Beeblebrox, he noted that any person who could manage to get himself elected to a high office should under no circumstances be allowed to have the job.
Quite the conundrum.  Do we allow ourselves to be governed by those who have proven themselves unsuitable through popular election or governed by those who have proven themselves to be unsuitable by not seeking popular election.  Or just enjoy a nice cup of tea with which to toast Adams wisdom. 

Offline nomuse

• Jupiter
« Reply #459 on: February 10, 2015, 07:55:58 PM »
Devil's Avocado, some of Palin's difficulty may have been that it takes a real knack to speak dog whistle. The real poets both sound like they are making sense, and even sound like reasonable human beings, when every word is carefully encoded with what the rabid fringe wants to hear.

And the really cool part of the trick is that the rabid fringe is full of contradictory beliefs. That's why dog whistle or empty platitudes is the only way to talk at them. The closer you get to decipherable human language, the more the logical inconsistencies become too obvious to be ignored any longer.

Palin was relatively facile at lining up a row of well-tested, well-used phrases. She just wasn't good enough at putting the insulation between the cracks.

Offline Chief

• Venus
« Reply #460 on: February 10, 2015, 08:29:20 PM »
  From the Distinguished Gentleman:           

We ran a positive campaign. We
              campaigned on the issues. The
              issue is leadership. Leadership
              for the future. Ask not what you
              can do for your country. The
              people have spoken. The only
              thing we have to fear is fear
              itself. If you can't stand the
              heat stay out of the kitchen.
              Live Free or Die. And in
              conclusion...read my lips!

Unfortunately this is as much as most say these days.

Offline smartcooky

• Uranus
« Reply #461 on: February 10, 2015, 08:37:42 PM »

... and should immediately be issued with a pair of "peril-sensitive" sunglasses!
If you're not a scientist but you think you've destroyed the foundation of a vast scientific edifice with 10 minutes of Googling, you might want to consider the possibility that you're wrong.

Offline Bob B.

• Jupiter
  • Bob the Excel Guru™
    • Rocket & Space Technology
« Reply #462 on: February 10, 2015, 09:06:48 PM »
Conspiracy Theorists can be quite intelligent, articulate individuals, just sadly misguided.

I don't think they are intelligent at all.  I think they are just bullshit artists who are good at making themselves sound smart.

On the other hand, Sarah Palin is just plain stupid.

I think she was unqualified for the office she sought and was in way over her head, but I think calling her stupid is unfair.  She's no rocket scientist, but I believe she's a reasonably intelligent individual.

(Re-reading what I wrote above, I think we could replace she with he and we'd be talking about President Obama.)

Offline JayUtah

• Neptune
    • Clavius
« Reply #463 on: February 10, 2015, 09:14:41 PM »
My impression is that "intelligent" and "stupid" have a variety of nuanced connotations that make them relatively unusable as simple labels that we all agree on.
"Facts are stubborn things." --John Adams

Offline gillianren

• Uranus
    • My Letterboxd journal
« Reply #464 on: February 10, 2015, 09:16:17 PM »
Am I the only person who watched Veep?

Don't get the channel, and I'm not there in the library catalog yet.

Look, if you present me with a conspiracist who can't name what book or newspaper they've read lately and then refers to it as a trick question, I'll totally grant you that the conspiracist in question is dumb.  You'll note I don't say that none of them are dumb, and I'm certainly not saying they're smart, either.  I think most of them are of average intelligence and are trying to sound smarter, and that is, I'll admit, also where she gets in the most trouble.  On the other hand, while some of her most famous quotes were actually said by Tina Fey, you could absolutely believe she'd said them.
"This sounds like a job for Bipolar Bear . . . but I just can't seem to get out of bed!"

"Conspiracy theories are an irresistible labour-saving device in the face of complexity."  --Henry Louis Gates