Author Topic: Rockets dont work in space  (Read 14724 times)

Offline bknight

• Neptune
Re: Rockets dont work in space
« Reply #15 on: August 06, 2015, 08:07:58 AM »
...this boosts the ego that is involved.

That happens to people who suffer from the terrible affliction of more ego than brains.
Yes, but it could be argued that they may have a deficit of ego, that needs to be boosted.  Either way they aren't using brain functions in analyzing what they are proposing.
Truth needs no defense.  Nobody can take those footsteps I made on the surface of the moon away from me.
Eugene Cernan

Offline DonQuixote

• Venus
« Reply #16 on: August 15, 2015, 03:20:46 PM »
Things like the vid in the initial post make me almost suspect that there is, in fact, a conspiracy afoot - one whose aim is to discourage people from pursuing STEM careers. Ever notice that a great many of these horrid, horrid videos take great pains to portray intelligent people as nerds? There's just a really creepy anti-intellectual vibe to so many of them.
You can lead a fool to knowledge, but you can not make him think.

Offline scooter

• Venus
« Reply #17 on: August 22, 2015, 03:40:55 PM »
I've had the pleasure of getting to judge some local TARC qualification flights, and it does encourage me. While the internet is obviously chock full of wackos, it's always refreshing to see those team members at work. They're part of our space future. (one of our junior rocket club members from way back went on to become Rutan's chief aerodynamicist on SS1...). STEM is good.
There's hope.

Offline bknight

• Neptune
« Reply #18 on: August 22, 2015, 03:54:32 PM »
I've had the pleasure of getting to judge some local TARC qualification flights, and it does encourage me. While the internet is obviously chock full of wackos, it's always refreshing to see those team members at work. They're part of our space future. (one of our junior rocket club members from way back went on to become Rutan's chief aerodynamicist on SS1...). STEM is good.
There's hope.
What was the ~ maximum altitude any reached?  Any liquid propelled vehicles or just solid?
That must have been fun indeed.
Truth needs no defense.  Nobody can take those footsteps I made on the surface of the moon away from me.
Eugene Cernan

Offline scooter

• Venus
« Reply #19 on: August 23, 2015, 12:06:03 PM »
The challenge in TARC is to lift a given payload, with a given motor, to a predetermined altitude, and land within a predetermined flight duration. The variables are overcome using the rocket design (weight, drag), winds, air density, recovery system (parachute size), coast delay duration etc.

Our kids are practicing here at around 6000' msl, and the competitions are held near sea level in Washington DC...still another challenge. It's really satisfying to see them at work...

Offline bknight

• Neptune
« Reply #20 on: August 23, 2015, 12:29:42 PM »
The challenge in TARC is to lift a given payload, with a given motor, to a predetermined altitude, and land within a predetermined flight duration. The variables are overcome using the rocket design (weight, drag), winds, air density, recovery system (parachute size), coast delay duration etc.

Our kids are practicing here at around 6000' msl, and the competitions are held near sea level in Washington DC...still another challenge. It's really satisfying to see them at work...
I'd never been to one, just read about there being competitions.  Good fun and education.
Eugene Cernan