Author Topic: Login problem to CosmoQuest  (Read 6585 times)

Offline gillianren

• Uranus
    • My Letterboxd journal
Re: Login problem to CosmoQuest
« Reply #15 on: January 30, 2019, 11:15:46 AM »
Well, both Phil and Fraser bailed years ago.  Then they sold it, essentially, to CosmoQuest.  In theory, we're supposed to have dedicated IT support and things like that.  In practice, it often takes literally days to get attention from our overlords, and it's clear that they were hoping the forum would serve as some sort of cash cow to draw grants and so forth.  For a while, they were saying there would be a post of forum liaison to the CosmoQuest people.  They never hired for that position, and one of the application questions was how you'd help fundraise.
"This sounds like a job for Bipolar Bear . . . but I just can't seem to get out of bed!"

"Conspiracy theories are an irresistible labour-saving device in the face of complexity."  --Henry Louis Gates

Offline bknight

• Neptune
« Reply #16 on: January 30, 2019, 11:38:46 AM »
Thanks, but who are the current owners/managers?
That is if you know.
Truth needs no defense.  Nobody can take those footsteps I made on the surface of the moon away from me.
Eugene Cernan

Offline Echnaton

• Saturn
« Reply #17 on: February 01, 2019, 02:07:26 PM »
It looks like they are trying to migrate discussions to Discord.  I've not seen the appeal of Discord yet.
The sun shone, having no alternative, on the nothing new. —Samuel Beckett

Offline raven

• Uranus
« Reply #18 on: February 01, 2019, 08:16:46 PM »
Discord is great as a chat room, but not for longer form discussions on varied yet specific, user generated topics, i.e. a forum.

Offline Echnaton

• Saturn
« Reply #19 on: February 03, 2019, 10:44:22 PM »
That is my experience with it too.
The sun shone, having no alternative, on the nothing new. —Samuel Beckett

Offline Glom

• Saturn
« Reply #20 on: February 09, 2019, 06:35:00 PM »
Actually, ToSeek messaged me about it (we're Facebook friends), and he's looking into it.  I have to tell you that he suspects there's nothing to be done.
So Facebook is good for something then.

Offline gillianren

• Uranus
    • My Letterboxd journal
« Reply #21 on: February 10, 2019, 11:45:04 AM »
I find it good for a lot of things.

For one, two years ago, I was sitting in the NICU over my daughter's bed, and Facebook Messenger was letting me talk to people who weren't the nurses.  One of those people was only a friend because we'd connected on Facebook.
"This sounds like a job for Bipolar Bear . . . but I just can't seem to get out of bed!"

"Conspiracy theories are an irresistible labour-saving device in the face of complexity."  --Henry Louis Gates