Author Topic: The 'rockets don't work in space' hoax theory  (Read 19447 times)

Offline bknight

• Neptune
Re: The 'rockets don't work in space' hoax theory
« Reply #30 on: August 05, 2016, 04:23:44 PM »
The hoaxers have no clue as to physics and reactions from forces.  They rank right up there with the Flat Earth beliefs.
Truth needs no defense.  Nobody can take those footsteps I made on the surface of the moon away from me.
Eugene Cernan

Offline Kiwi

• Mars
« Reply #31 on: August 06, 2016, 10:09:46 AM »
Welcome to ApolloHoax, MBDK.  It looks like you might have been lurking for a few weeks before posting, which is what I did too, and some hoax-believers don't have the sense to do (i.e. size up the opposition first).

As you can see, it's pretty quiet here now and there's not many of them about compared with 10-12 years ago, but it's still a great board for learning the fascinating minutiae of Apollo and other space-related things.

...Now, I may have missed something in my interpretation, but I have never gotten any counter explanation.

It is a good interpretation and quite simple, which makes it very good. And you're in the right place to be put right if you have missed something.  There's some real expertise here.

Regarding your next post, I made myself hell-of-a dizzy trying, and you were right. Most of what hit my face with hand flat, bounced off the ball of my thumb, but it was only a tiny amount of the pressure hitting my hand. Cupping my hand spread it over a bigger area of my face, but it was still weak.

I've sometimes directed hoax-believers (HBs) to my two favourite sayings below, but it doesn't seem to help.

« Last Edit: August 06, 2016, 10:21:40 AM by Kiwi »
Don't criticize what you can't understand. — Bob Dylan, “The Times They Are A-Changin'” (1963)
Some people think they are thinking when they are really rearranging their prejudices and superstitions. — Edward R. Murrow (1908–65)

Offline MBDK

• Earth
  • BANNED
« Reply #32 on: August 07, 2016, 03:14:44 PM »
Welcome to ApolloHoax, MBDK.  It looks like you might have been lurking for a few weeks before posting, which is what I did too, and some hoax-believers don't have the sense to do (i.e. size up the opposition first).

It is a good interpretation and quite simple, which makes it very good. And you're in the right place to be put right if you have missed something.  There's some real expertise here.

Thank you kindly for the welcome, Kiwi.  Yes, I was a lurker prior to registering, but not as long as I lurked at the Cosmoquest forum (probably a couple of years).  There I use the Monkeyboysdontknow moniker, and MBDK is just a shorthand version.  I came to both sites for the intellectual conversations and hoax-busting explanations, and this hoax section seems to get much more traffic these days.  I argue under my longer pseudonym on You Tube against many CTers, and have found a lot of useful information here and on Cosmoquest.  I know many think that tactic is an exercise in futility, but knowing that YouTube's viewers/posters are younger overall, I feel that if I can reach even a few, I may be able to help them develop some useful critical thinking skills to help them now, and later in life.

Hopefully I'll get around to giving my avatar an image and a quote or two.  The posters here seem to have gobbled up the best ones, so I'll exit with this quote (directed at the hoax proponents) from the Buckaroo Bonzai movie (where part of my posting name came from):

"Laugh while you can monkey boy!" - Dr. Emilio Lizardo
"It ain't what they call you, it's what you answer to." - W. C. Fields

"Laugh-a while you can, monkey-boy." - Lord John Whorfin

Offline Kiwi

• Mars
« Reply #33 on: August 08, 2016, 08:25:17 AM »
Aha, you've been where many of us have before. Some of the regulars here started at the Bad Astronomy Bulletin Board (Phil Plait's forum, which was very good) which became BAUT (Bad Astronomy and Universe Today) and bigger, and then CosmoQuest and bigger still.

Some of us got a bit tired of the heavy-handed moderating there.  Owner of this board, LunarOrbit, has it just about dead right, in my opinion, but it's obviously much easier on a smaller board. At least HBs are given plenty of opportunity here to have their say. Brief bouts of hot heads are tolerated as long as they settle down again*, and banning usually only occurs after severe rule-breaking and a few warnings.

Of course, some HBs prefer to be banned because it's a badge of honour to them, and it can allow them to claim they were censored and that we couldn't stand their "damning truths." Or whatever.  :)

One thing that's occurred to me is, don't argue with a hoax-believer, address the gallery instead -- the fence-sitters and lurkers -- because they are the ones who can most do with good, reliable information.  Keep a cool head and point out to them where you believe the HB was wrong, state why, and totally ignore any insults from the HB or, for that matter, from anyone.

In some cases the HB might get annoyed about you not conversing directly with him (for once, it's safe to say that because there are very few or no hers in the field), because some of them are quite egotistical, and might well be narcissists.

It was fascinating here a while back when one HB claimed the lurkers would be on his side, so they were asked to de-lurk and say whether they were or not. A few did, and the HB soundly lost. By God, that was fun!

* For some odd reason, most of the hot heads seem to come from an area that's somewhere between Canada and Mexico.  :)

Edited to add:

Last night I followed a link in another thread here to an HB on YouTube and found it really hard (read "painful") to listen to the guy, whose video was almost pointless. With a little more thought it could have been audio only. Well, at least the part I saw.

Then I made the mistake of clicking on the video of another guy I'd never heard of.  He was talking about inconsistencies in the tyres on the rover in various videos, and I think in one case he might have been confusing the mesh lunar tyres with pneumatic ones in simulations on earth, but he certainly couldn't figure that a dark background could make the mesh tyre look solid. (Drat! Where's the raised eyebrows or the facepalm emoticon?)

His video was also so tedious and painful that I thought few viewers would bother closely following the guy.  Poor presentation certainly doesn't help and nor does pointing out non-existing "anomalies" in photos or videos to people who know better.  Short, sweet and to-the-point is much better.
« Last Edit: August 08, 2016, 09:19:08 AM by Kiwi »
Don't criticize what you can't understand. — Bob Dylan, “The Times They Are A-Changin'” (1963)
Some people think they are thinking when they are really rearranging their prejudices and superstitions. — Edward R. Murrow (1908–65)

Offline revmic

• Venus
« Reply #34 on: August 08, 2016, 10:13:42 AM »

* For some odd reason, most of the hot heads seem to come from an area that's somewhere between Canada and Mexico.  :)

...We can hear you...
Where knowledge is a duty, ignorance is a crime - Tom Paine

Offline bknight

• Neptune
« Reply #35 on: August 08, 2016, 06:31:40 PM »

I resemble that remark.

Edited to add:

Last night I followed a link in another thread here to an HB on YouTube and found it really hard (read "painful") to listen to the guy, whose video was almost pointless. With a little more thought it could have been audio only. Well, at least the part I saw.

Then I made the mistake of clicking on the video of another guy I'd never heard of.  He was talking about inconsistencies in the tyres on the rover in various videos, and I think in one case he might have been confusing the mesh lunar tyres with pneumatic ones in simulations on earth, but he certainly couldn't figure that a dark background could make the mesh tyre look solid. (Drat! Where's the raised eyebrows or the facepalm emoticon?)

His video was also so tedious and painful that I thought few viewers would bother closely following the guy.  Poor presentation certainly doesn't help and nor does pointing out non-existing "anomalies" in photos or videos to people who know better.  Short, sweet and to-the-point is much better.

Got any YT links?  I don't recognize the second video other than expattaffy1 put a video together concerning the rover tires.  He was clueless  along with myopic and delusional. Joan Evans had a nice rebuttal if that is the one.
Truth needs no defense.  Nobody can take those footsteps I made on the surface of the moon away from me.
Eugene Cernan

Offline Kiwi

• Mars
« Reply #36 on: August 09, 2016, 06:33:05 AM »
See new thread, YouTube Hoax Believer - Lift the Veil
http://www.apollohoax.net/forum/index.php?topic=1176.msg39149#msg39149
« Last Edit: August 09, 2016, 07:13:49 AM by Kiwi »

Offline Apollo 957

• Earth
« Reply #37 on: August 10, 2016, 10:21:02 AM »
For some odd reason, most of the hot heads seem to come from an area that's somewhere between Canada and Mexico.

.. and unfortunately, many of those from that part of the world seem to think their country owns the internet, and only their countrymen use YouTube, etc. etc. ....

Offline revmic

• Venus
« Reply #38 on: August 12, 2016, 01:09:24 AM »
For some odd reason, most of the hot heads seem to come from an area that's somewhere between Canada and Mexico.

.. and unfortunately, many of those from that part of the world seem to think their country owns the internet, and only their countrymen use YouTube, etc. etc. ....

Please don't form an opinion of Americans based on YouTube comments and the like.

They are vocal, not representative.
Where knowledge is a duty, ignorance is a crime - Tom Paine

Offline twik

• Jupiter
« Reply #39 on: November 17, 2016, 11:20:58 AM »

Please don't form an opinion of Americans based on YouTube comments and the like.

They are vocal, not representative.

Well, they elected one of their own.