Author Topic: Apollo & Life Magazine  (Read 12589 times)

Offline onebigmonkey

• Uranus
  • ALSJ Clown
    • Apollo Hoax Debunked
Apollo & Life Magazine
« on: January 17, 2013, 03:58:49 PM »
Wasn't sure where to put this, hopefully here!

I've been collecting the Life magazine editions where Apollo is featured - they aren't too expensive as long as they aren't autographed, and the large format of the magazine makes the photographs very impressive in a way that the computer screen just doesn't capture.

I've started scanning the relevant pages and have put the first one up on my site:

http://onebigmonkey.comoj.com/obm/lifemag.html

I've also included a link to the full google books edition.

Happy reading :)

Offline Echnaton

• Saturn
Re: Apollo & Life Magazine
« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2013, 05:09:26 PM »

The most fun things about old magazines are the ads.  I particularly like the VW add with a photo of an LM model.  The caption is, "It's ugly, but it gets you there."  While it trades on the Beetles notorious lack of modern styling. I never found either the LM nor the VW Bug ugly.

Now take the contemporary Dodge A-100 pickup.   A standard cab over van made into a two seat truck.  That just ain't right. 
The sun shone, having no alternative, on the nothing new. —Samuel Beckett

Offline theteacher

• Venus
« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2013, 06:05:40 PM »

The most fun things about old magazines are the ads.  I particularly like the VW add with a photo of an LM model.  The caption is, "It's ugly, but it gets you there."  While it trades on the Beetles notorious lack of modern styling. I never found either the LM nor the VW Bug ugly.
It's a wonderful ad. I have it on my desktop. In fact I owned one way back - a Beetle that is :-)

Offline onebigmonkey

• Uranus
  • ALSJ Clown
    • Apollo Hoax Debunked
« Reply #3 on: January 19, 2013, 04:21:18 AM »
I love the ads :D

There's a great cigarette advert showing a couple both lighting up from the same lighter - "lung cancer, it's a sharing thing".

The car adverts are also good - I like the car offering "man sized performance and woman sized parkability".

The ads also suggest we will all be flying small aircraft and listening to reel to reel tapes while drinking obscure whisky blends.

I've got a couple on the way from the US, and it'll be interesting to see the difference.

Offline raven

• Uranus
« Reply #4 on: January 19, 2013, 06:12:13 AM »
Yes, old ads can be very interesting to read.
I am proud to say I have a copy of the December 1969 National Geographic, the one with Aldrin on the cover in the famous portrait taken on the moon. It is considerably older than I am, somewhat worn, but among my prized possessions.
I wish National Geographic would do what Life, Popular Science and Popular Mechanics did and put many of their magazines up online.

Offline onebigmonkey

• Uranus
  • ALSJ Clown
    • Apollo Hoax Debunked
« Reply #5 on: January 23, 2013, 03:26:49 PM »
I've added a couple more magazines to the site, the ones covering Apollo 8 & 10 photos.

I've recently acquired an actual US one interviewing Jim Lovell after Apollo 13. It has a great advert in it, effectively saying that the ideal Mother's Day gift is a vacuum cleaner :D

Offline RAF

• Mars
« Reply #6 on: January 23, 2013, 09:54:38 PM »
I am proud to say I have a copy of the December 1969 National Geographic, the one with Aldrin on the cover in the famous portrait taken on the moon.

I can remember quite clearly the day I bought that issue of NGM...still have it, and many others from those days...somewhere around here. :)

Offline raven

• Uranus
« Reply #7 on: January 25, 2013, 04:20:58 PM »
I am proud to say I have a copy of the December 1969 National Geographic, the one with Aldrin on the cover in the famous portrait taken on the moon.

I can remember quite clearly the day I bought that issue of NGM...still have it, and many others from those days...somewhere around here. :)
Yeah, ain't that the way of it. Everything seems to be 'somewhere around here.'

Offline onebigmonkey

• Uranus
  • ALSJ Clown
    • Apollo Hoax Debunked
« Reply #8 on: February 17, 2013, 04:53:32 PM »
For those who are interested, I have added several more Apollo related sections from Life magazine to my site. I have several more to come too, including quite a few US editions.

I've also been scanning some of the adverts and adding them to a tumblr blog, as some of them are very funny.

http://onebigmonkey.tumblr.com/

Offline raven

• Uranus
« Reply #9 on: February 19, 2013, 03:32:10 PM »
This one is worth adding I think. ;D

Offline onebigmonkey

• Uranus
  • ALSJ Clown
    • Apollo Hoax Debunked
« Reply #10 on: February 19, 2013, 04:07:20 PM »
lol! This is why I need to get more of the US editions - they have much better adverts!

Offline onebigmonkey

• Uranus
  • ALSJ Clown
    • Apollo Hoax Debunked
« Reply #11 on: March 15, 2013, 04:38:21 PM »
Couple more Life magazines added, and also a National Geographic article covering Apollo 14.

I've a few more NG magazines in the pipeline, so I've given them their own page.

http://onebigmonkey.comoj.com/obm/ngeo.html

Offline onebigmonkey

• Uranus
  • ALSJ Clown
    • Apollo Hoax Debunked
« Reply #12 on: April 05, 2013, 03:51:30 PM »
Just to advise that there are a couple more National Geographic Apollo editions now listed on the page linked to above, one covering Apollo 16, the other Apollo 17. Great pictures in both of them.

:)

Offline BazBear

• Mars
« Reply #13 on: April 06, 2013, 01:20:24 AM »
Great stuff, thanks again OBM! :)

ETA- The links to your scans of the 21 July 69, 4 Aug 69, and 18 Aug 69 Life magazine issues seem to be broken.
« Last Edit: April 06, 2013, 01:44:56 AM by BazBear »
"It's true you know. In space, no one can hear you scream like a little girl." - Mark Watney, protagonist of The Martian by Andy Weir

Offline onebigmonkey

• Uranus
  • ALSJ Clown
    • Apollo Hoax Debunked
« Reply #14 on: April 06, 2013, 05:41:48 AM »
Great stuff, thanks again OBM! :)

ETA- The links to your scans of the 21 July 69, 4 Aug 69, and 18 Aug 69 Life magazine issues seem to be broken.

I'd like to say that there was some complex technical reason for the missing pdfs: html coding glitches, server errors, that sort of thing, but it pretty much looks like I forgot to upload them :D

Should be fixed now!