Author Topic: 6 flags over luna  (Read 4947 times)

Offline onebigmonkey

• Uranus
  • ALSJ Clown
    • Apollo Hoax Debunked
6 flags over luna
« on: October 21, 2014, 02:57:48 PM »
I hope this hasn't been posted before, and I wasn't sure which sub-forum it was best placed in but decided on this one.

It's ostensibly an analysis of hoax claims in general and claims about the Apollo flags in particular, but in passing it manages to give more technical information about the Apollo flags than you would have thought possible - it ought to be linked to on the ALSJ.

http://escholarship.org/uc/item/5h31r40r#page-1

The link is to a web version, but you can download the full pdf to read later.

Offline Echnaton

• Saturn
Re: 6 flags over luna
« Reply #1 on: October 21, 2014, 03:34:54 PM »
Wow.  62 pages including diagrams of the flag poles and copious notes.  And I learned the name for a previously unknown field of study.  Vexillology, "scientific study of the history, symbolism and usage of flags or, by extension, any interest in flags in general."  Chock up another lose for HBs.
The sun shone, having no alternative, on the nothing new. —Samuel Beckett

Offline Kiwi

• Mars
« Reply #2 on: October 22, 2014, 05:11:18 AM »
Wow from me too. I've downloaded the PDF and don't have time to read it until at least tomorrow -- just looked at the first few photos.

What really impressed me at such a short look was the title.  (1) Simple, short, and explanatory, and (2) Dignified, unique and highly appropriate.  Something like the respect many of us here have for the guys who went to the moon, and all those who helped them get there.

A hell of a lot better than the ignorant, nasty, muckraking crap spun by some hoax promoters and their believers.

...it ought to be linked to on the ALSJ.

You're the ApolloHoax member who found it, so please tell the ALSJ guys about it.

Eric Jones appreciated me telling him that a particular rock in an Apollo 17 photo wasn't actually Turning Point Rock, as captioned, and also telling him everything he needed to know about the Playboy Playmates on the moon,
http://apollohoax.proboards.com/index.cgi?board=apollo&action=display&thread=1345&page=1
so as this is a little more important, he and his helpers will no doubt appreciate having that link. Perhaps they could even get the rights to host the document at the ALSJ.
« Last Edit: October 22, 2014, 05:33:58 AM by Kiwi »
Don't criticize what you can't understand. — Bob Dylan, “The Times They Are A-Changin'” (1963)
Some people think they are thinking when they are really rearranging their prejudices and superstitions. — Edward R. Murrow (1908–65)

Offline onebigmonkey

• Uranus
  • ALSJ Clown
    • Apollo Hoax Debunked
« Reply #3 on: October 22, 2014, 12:12:18 PM »
I particularly like her declaration of bias at the end :)

Offline Luke Pemberton

• Uranus
  • Chaos in his tin foil hat
« Reply #4 on: October 29, 2014, 12:45:55 PM »
I particularly like her declaration of bias at the end :)

Thanks for posting. I will download this and take some time to read over the article. I too appreciated her declaration of bias.
Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former - Albert Einstein.

I can calculate the motion of heavenly bodies, but not the madness of people – Sir Isaac Newton.

A polar orbit would also bypass the SAA - Tim Finch

Offline Count Zero

• Mars
  • Pad 39A July 14,1969
« Reply #5 on: October 29, 2014, 05:22:54 PM »
Note that the author, Anne M. Platoff, also wrote Where No Flag Has Gone Before:  Political and Technical Aspects of Placing a Flag on the Moon, published nearly two decades previously.
"What makes one step a giant leap is all the steps before."

Offline Luke Pemberton

• Uranus
  • Chaos in his tin foil hat
« Reply #6 on: October 29, 2014, 07:40:03 PM »
Note that the author, Anne M. Platoff, also wrote Where No Flag Has Gone Before:  Political and Technical Aspects of Placing a Flag on the Moon, published nearly two decades previously.

That's quite an interesting read. I like the comment that some people posed the question whether the US should have planted a UN flag as well?

My own thoughts are no. They left a plaque as a symbol of peace, and Neil's words resonated to the greater good of mankind. I cannot help but feel that the US were actually quite humble about the achievement, despite their one-upmanship over the Soviet Union.

I have never felt that planting the US flag was an attempt to claim the Moon for the US. It was however the US's gig, their money and their endeavor that 12 men walked on the moon, so I think they had every right to plant the Stars and Stripes.
Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former - Albert Einstein.

I can calculate the motion of heavenly bodies, but not the madness of people – Sir Isaac Newton.

A polar orbit would also bypass the SAA - Tim Finch