Author Topic: New Apollo 11 stills / footage discovered  (Read 3049 times)

Offline Obviousman

• Jupiter
« Last Edit: December 10, 2018, 02:52:17 PM by Obviousman »

Offline Kiwi

• Mars
Re: New Apollo 11 stills / footage discovered
« Reply #1 on: December 12, 2018, 08:17:04 AM »
Thank you Obviousman -- that long article makes really good reading.

Some of the stills look familiar - I think we might have already seen brief clips of some of the footage over the years, but cut down to to a more standard format. On the other hand, there would have been a gazillion still and movie photographers at the Apollo 11 launch.

The first still in the article is in the wrong position to clearly show the large brown paper bag hanging from Mike Collins's right hand, tucked in behind the piece of gear he's carrying. Another movie camera caught it better from probably that bit of grass on the left, just behind the yellow line.

Inside the bag was one of the traditional crazy gifts that the crews would exchange with Guenter Wendt, "the fuehrer of the pad," at the top of the launch tower. In this case it was a seven-inch-long unstuffed fish mounted on a plaque.
« Last Edit: December 12, 2018, 08:46:31 AM by Kiwi »
Don't criticize what you can't understand. — Bob Dylan, “The Times They Are A-Changin'” (1963)
Some people think they are thinking when they are really rearranging their prejudices and superstitions. — Edward R. Murrow (1908–65)

Offline mako88sb

• Mars
Re: New Apollo 11 stills / footage discovered
« Reply #2 on: December 18, 2018, 03:31:31 PM »
Wow! Looks fabulous. I was wondering if a blu-ray special edition of the "From the Earth to the Moon" mini-series was in the works but from what I've read it doesn't seem likely.