Author Topic: Apollo 17 in real time  (Read 17902 times)

Offline onebigmonkey

• Uranus
  • ALSJ Clown
    • Apollo Hoax Debunked
Apollo 17 in real time
« on: March 24, 2015, 03:19:38 AM »
A truly astonishing piece of work:

http://apollo17.org/

The guy behind it details the work here

http://benfeist.com/project-apollo-17/

Offline Kiwi

• Mars
Re: Apollo 17 in real time
« Reply #1 on: March 25, 2015, 08:29:03 AM »
A truly astonishing piece of work:
http://apollo17.org/

It is indeed jaw-dropping material and will be a marvellous thing if he ever gets it completed.  I spent much more time there than intended. Thanks for the link.

Noticed the following, fourteen lines into the transcript:
The cue-ball is an angle of a tacmeter which is perched above the launch escape system, and it's read by the spacecraft commander in the spacecraft.

Should that instead be "...angle-of-attack meter..."?

And just after launch:
|000:00:57|CC|17, stand by for Mode I Bravo -
|000:00:59|CC|MARK. Mode I Bravo.
|000:01:01|CDR|Roger. I Bravo; we're GO at 1 minute.

The few times I've seen that elsewhere, it has been written "Mode 1 Bravo", probably meaning Mode 1B.

I imagine the author would need help with things like that -- he can't possibly know everything about Apollo.
« Last Edit: March 25, 2015, 08:37:57 AM by Kiwi »
Don't criticize what you can't understand. — Bob Dylan, “The Times They Are A-Changin'” (1963)
Some people think they are thinking when they are really rearranging their prejudices and superstitions. — Edward R. Murrow (1908–65)

Offline Allan F

• Saturn
« Reply #2 on: March 25, 2015, 09:10:05 AM »
It's probably a result of using text recognition software somewhere in the history of that text.
Well, it is like this: The truth doesn't need insults. Insults are the refuge of a darkened mind, a mind that refuses to open and see. Foul language can't outcompete knowledge. And knowledge is the result of education. Education is the result of the wish to know more, not less.

Offline gwiz

• Mars
« Reply #3 on: March 25, 2015, 10:08:44 AM »
Should that instead be "...angle-of-attack meter..."?
The Q-ball is an angle-of-attack meter...
Multiple exclamation marks are a sure sign of a diseased mind - Terry Pratchett
...the ascent module ... took off like a rocket - Moon Man

Offline ka9q

• Neptune
« Reply #4 on: March 25, 2015, 06:28:30 PM »
Right. The Q-ball measures angle of attack, which is why it's at the most forward point of the vehicle. It also measures attitude (roll, pitch, yaw) rates. If any of these values exceed preset limits during first stage flight, an automatic abort is triggered.

Offline bfeist

• Mercury
« Reply #5 on: March 26, 2015, 08:54:48 PM »
Hi everyone. I'm the author of apollo17.org. Thanks for your kind words!

I certainly don't know everything about the Apollo missions, but I did listen to every second of audio and correct the transcript accordingly. Most of the expertise required to know what they were saying was already in the original transcript. I've made no attempts at interpretation here. It's here as raw info, as close to what was spoken as possible. In my mind, making the entire mission interesting and accessible in its full detail is the best medicine for conspiracy theorists. When faced with the full detail, I have seen hobby-deniers reconsider.

I corrected the cue-ball error in the very first utterance. This was a transcription error made in 1972 believe it or not--in the public affairs transcript, which doesn't appear to have been written by an expert. Thanks for the heads up. "Mode I Bravo" is supposed to be written that way as per mission documentation. Yes, Bravo means "B" as it does here, but the flight modes were so important they became known as I Bravo, I Charlie, II, III, etc.

I just made some additional small corrections and greatly improved the table of contents up to the end of EVA-1 to call out some interesting moments. Have a look. http://apollo17.org

Thanks again for your words of encouragement. It's really satisfying to see people visiting the site and enjoying themselves. You can read about the process I undertook to build the thing here if you're interested http://benfeist.com/project-apollo-17/

Thanks,
Ben

Offline Allan F

• Saturn
« Reply #6 on: March 26, 2015, 10:20:27 PM »
Welcome onboard. It's a big job, that transcript. Well done.
Well, it is like this: The truth doesn't need insults. Insults are the refuge of a darkened mind, a mind that refuses to open and see. Foul language can't outcompete knowledge. And knowledge is the result of education. Education is the result of the wish to know more, not less.

Offline Kiwi

• Mars
« Reply #7 on: March 27, 2015, 11:26:33 AM »
Welcome Ben.  It's always good to come across another dedicated Apollo Nut.  They are usually much better company than most hoax-believers.  :)

I corrected the cue-ball error in the very first utterance.

That should be "Q-ball" not "cue-ball" in two places -- see posts 3 & 4 above.  I nearly missed Gwiz's correction due to it sounding the same.

And a little further down Skip "Shovin" should be Skip "Chauvin" -- it's correctly spelled in the next paragraph.

At -01:56:35, Alan "Sheppard" should have only one "p".

This was a transcription error made in 1972 believe it or not--in the public affairs transcript, which doesn't appear to have been written by an expert...

There's a little discussion about the errors in the transcripts in this thread:--
Apollo 11 annotated landing
http://www.apollohoax.net/forum/index.php?topic=428.msg15397#msg15397

In post 13, JayUtah says:-- "The original Net-1 transcripts were hurriedly typed by various Houston area temp typists, very few of whom had any knowledge of space jargon.  There are some howlers in there, and at least one author several years ago tried to spin those errors (but also the correctly-rendered jargon) into something nefarious."

I just made some additional small corrections and greatly improved the table of contents...

Please try to include the term "Twinkletoes" in the TOC for the hilarious episode when Jack Schmitt arses up starting at 144:50:52 at what was later called "Ballet Crater" in remembrance.

The description in the ALSJ is priceless, and it's great that Ed Fendell caught the event with the TV camera.
Geology Station 3 at Ballet Crater

144:50:52 Schmitt: I won't...Aaaahh! (Pause)

[Jack has knocked the SCB over, scattering full sample bags. He drops to his hands and knees, facing upslope, gets the SCB standing upright, retrieves the sample bags, and stows them in the SCB without getting up.]

144:51:05 Schmitt: You don't mind a little dirt here and there, do you, gang? (Pause)

144:51:16 Parker: No. (Long Pause)

[Jack leans back to get his PLSS over his heels and kicks upright. He makes it, but drops the SCB in the process. He goes to one knee to retrieve it but stumbles and falls on his chest. He gets up successfully and goes to the scoop.]

144:51:46 Cernan: Oh, dadgummit! (Pause) Well...

[From later evidence, Gene is having trouble re-attaching the rake to the extension handle. Meanwhile, Jack's unused sample bags have fallen off his camera again.]

144:51:53 Parker: Hey, Gene, would you go over and help Twinkletoes, please?

[Jack drops the SCB on the ground.]

144:52:01 Schmitt: I tell you, you fix that camera bracket so the bags stay on and I'll be a lot better off.

[Jack turns away from the TV camera while he examines his 70-mm camera to see how dirty it is.]

144:52:05 Parker: Roger.

144:52:07 Cernan: Want some help, Jack? I'll be there.

144:52:08 Schmitt: No! I don't need any help.

144:52:09 Cernan: Okay.

144:52:10 Schmitt: I just need better bags.

144:52:11 Parker: Jack, you might worry about whether your camera lens is dirty or clean, Jack. I don't know what you'd do about it.

144:52:19 Schmitt: I'm very worried about that.

144:52:20 Parker: I don't know what you'd do about it, but you might worry about it.

And later:

144:56:23 Parker: And be advised that the switchboard here at MSC (Manned Spacecraft Center, now the Johnson Space Center) has been lit up by calls from the Houston Ballet Foundation requesting your services for next season.

144:56:34 Schmitt: I should hope so.

[Schmitt - "They eventually named this Ballet Crater."]

As usual, a lot of the humour is extremely dry. More here:
http://cosmoquest.org/forum/showthread.php/18178-Apollo-Astronauts-Joking-Around

« Last Edit: March 27, 2015, 11:59:40 AM by Kiwi »
Don't criticize what you can't understand. — Bob Dylan, “The Times They Are A-Changin'” (1963)
Some people think they are thinking when they are really rearranging their prejudices and superstitions. — Edward R. Murrow (1908–65)

Offline BazBear

• Mars
« Reply #8 on: March 27, 2015, 01:44:37 PM »
Welcome to the forum Ben, and great work  :)
"It's true you know. In space, no one can hear you scream like a little girl." - Mark Watney, protagonist of The Martian by Andy Weir

Offline Obviousman

• Jupiter
« Reply #9 on: March 28, 2015, 03:08:31 AM »
That site is fantastic. Great work!

Offline bfeist

• Mercury
« Reply #10 on: March 28, 2015, 08:47:38 PM »
Hi everyone,
Thanks for the encouragement. Kiwi, I've made the Q-ball change and the other changes that you described, and I added the twinkle toes incident to the table of contents. Thanks for the heads up! Actually, I greatly improved the table of contents tonight to include many more small moments, and noting most of the video segments. I had taken notes on items of interest as I scrubbed through the transcript over the years. Most of those notes are now in the table of contents.

I'm going to a local screening of Last Man on the Moon here in Toronto, Canada on Wednesday. Gene Cernan will be in attendance. I'm very excited to say the least.

Ben
« Last Edit: March 28, 2015, 08:50:21 PM by bfeist »

Offline LunarOrbit

• Administrator
  • Saturn
    • ApolloHoax.net
« Reply #11 on: March 28, 2015, 10:11:20 PM »
I'm going to a local screening of Last Man on the Moon here in Toronto, Canada on Wednesday. Gene Cernan will be in attendance. I'm very excited to say the least.

Hi, Ben. I'm in Hamilton... where can I find details about the screening of Last Man on the Moon in Toronto? I doubt I'll be able to attend, but if Gene Cernan is going to be there I'd sure like to try.

Great job with the apollo17.org website, by the way!
It suddenly struck me that that tiny pea, pretty and blue, was the Earth.
I put up my thumb and shut one eye, and my thumb blotted out the planet Earth.
I didn't feel like a giant. I felt very, very small.
- Neil Armstrong (1930-2012)

Offline bfeist

• Mercury

Offline onebigmonkey

• Uranus
  • ALSJ Clown
    • Apollo Hoax Debunked
« Reply #13 on: March 29, 2015, 04:40:49 AM »
Hot docs Toronto.
http://boxoffice.hotdocs.ca/WebSales/pages/info.aspx?evtinfo=36921~fff311b7-cdad-4e14-9ae4-a9905e1b9cb0&

Enjoy the film - it's fantastic! I've taken the liberty of letting the film's facebook page know you'll be there :D

Offline bfeist

• Mercury
« Reply #14 on: April 02, 2015, 01:38:06 PM »
So was it someone on this forum who asked Gene Cernan the Apollo hoax question at the Toronto Hot Docs screening of The Last Man on the Moon? Cernan nailed the answer. I paraphrase, but it was something along the lines of "if you think Apollo was a hoax, you're missing out on one of the greatest stories of human achievement in history."

It was a great honour for me to meet him.

Ben