Author Topic: Gardum's thread  (Read 39153 times)

Offline MBDK

• Earth
  • BANNED
Re: Gardum's thread
« Reply #120 on: September 15, 2017, 04:10:38 AM »
You don't see that "children that pick on line breaks or grammar" is saying you're childish for noticing?  Okay.

So that makes at least two people at this board who seem to be incapable of distinguishing between noticing something and picking on someone for something, and one of them claims to have worked as a proofreader.

And IMHO, you make at least one person who seems to be incapable of making a cognitive connection between two variations of a common idea that everyone I know understands succinctly.  But that must be because you are so much smarter than everyone else, and certainly aren't childish in your own way to argue about it.

(sarcasm mode off)
Gardum's message was VERY clear, especially in context with the vaguery of everything else he/she wrote.  Your attempt to make it an issue about fairness and honesty has actually been an example of unfair, dishonest obfuscation.  Your arguments on this subject (again, IMHO) are empty, pointless and nonsensical.  What is your real agenda?
"It ain't what they call you, it's what you answer to." - W. C. Fields

"Laugh-a while you can, monkey-boy." - Lord John Whorfin

Offline Glom

• Saturn
« Reply #121 on: September 15, 2017, 07:17:29 AM »
That uniform is the lamest one. Go with the movies one or maybe the First Contact one.
Nah, the lamest was the 1st movie. *shudder*
Good point. I forgot about that. Maybe it was because I've only ever seen that movie once.

It goes like this
Movies 2-6
ENT
FC/late DS9
TNG s3+
TOS
Early DS9/VOY
Early TNG
TMP

I forgot about ENT before, which actually had pretty sweet uniforms, but I would never suggest wearing one because while on its own it's a good design that series was terrible. That's probably why I reacted negatively to that picture because it invoked VOY.

Edit: actually I might rate TOS more highly because I liked the use of braids for rank insignia. I also forgot the TOS pilot uniforms, which I would rate as equal to the main TOS uniforms because on the one hand they are a bit more drab, but on the other hand the less bright primary colours makes them look more professional.
« Last Edit: September 15, 2017, 07:21:41 AM by Glom »

Offline Von_Smith

• Venus
« Reply #122 on: September 15, 2017, 07:38:07 AM »
You don't see that "children that pick on line breaks or grammar" is saying you're childish for noticing?  Okay.

So that makes at least two people at this board who seem to be incapable of distinguishing between noticing something and picking on someone for something, and one of them claims to have worked as a proofreader.

And IMHO, you make at least one person who seems to be incapable of making a cognitive connection between two variations of a common idea that everyone I know understands succinctly.  But that must be because you are so much smarter than everyone else, and certainly aren't childish in your own way to argue about it.

(sarcasm mode off)
Gardum's message was VERY clear, especially in context with the vaguery of everything else he/she wrote.  Your attempt to make it an issue about fairness and honesty has actually been an example of unfair, dishonest obfuscation.  Your arguments on this subject (again, IMHO) are empty, pointless and nonsensical.  What is your real agenda?

What I find esepcially ironic is that this whole thing arose because *Gardum* couldn't distinguish between noticing something and picking on someone for it.  He was the one who mistakenly characterized the former as the latter.  Most readers here unconsciously auto-corrected.  Sandopan, in his haste to smite the Apollo-gists (or whomever it is he imagines he's smiting) did not.

Offline raven

• Uranus
« Reply #123 on: September 15, 2017, 11:05:28 AM »
That uniform is the lamest one. Go with the movies one or maybe the First Contact one.
Good point. I forgot about that. Maybe it was because I've only ever seen that movie once.

It goes like this
Movies 2-6
ENT
FC/late DS9
TNG s3+
TOS
Early DS9/VOY
Early TNG
TMP

I forgot about ENT before, which actually had pretty sweet uniforms, but I would never suggest wearing one because while on its own it's a good design that series was terrible. That's probably why I reacted negatively to that picture because it invoked VOY.

Edit: actually I might rate TOS more highly because I liked the use of braids for rank insignia. I also forgot the TOS pilot uniforms, which I would rate as equal to the main TOS uniforms because on the one hand they are a bit more drab, but on the other hand the less bright primary colours makes them look more professional.
Yeah, Enterprise outfits were definitely in my top 3. Not so great series, but I loved the NASA flightsuit inspired unifiorms.

Offline Count Zero

• Mars
  • Pad 39A July 14,1969
« Reply #124 on: September 15, 2017, 11:12:39 AM »
I agree that the 1st movie "pajamas" were terrible, but when it was first release that was the least of the film's problems.

However...
If you like Star Trek at all, see the Director's Edition. Originally, Paramount was in a hurry to cash-in on the success of Star Wars with 'some cheesy old TV property' that they owned the rights to. They rushed the production to the theater despite major problems with the special effects

Normally, a director will assemble a "rough cut" to show the overall structure of the story, and then edit it down for pacing. The director Robert Wise (who had directed "The Day the Earth Stood Still", "West Side Story", "The Sound of Music" and "The Andromeda Strain") got no respect from Paramount. They took the rough cut from him and released it to theaters in 1979 to what can charitably be called 'tepid' reviews

20+ years later, the situation was very different. Star Trek was a successful billion-dollar franchise and the DVD market was swelling rapidly. The new management at Paramount went to Wise with a wheelbarrow full of money and asked him politely if he would like to *finish* "ST:TMP" with a proper edit and re-done special effects where needed.

I never liked this movie until I saw the DE. It was a revelation. It was everything Star Trek should be (are you listening, J. J. Abrams?). Maybe it is age, but the questions in this movie - Why am I here? Is this all that I am? Is there nothing more? - really resonate with me.
"What makes one step a giant leap is all the steps before."

Offline jfb

• Mars
« Reply #125 on: September 15, 2017, 01:58:08 PM »

It goes like this
Movies 2-6
ENT
FC/late DS9
TNG s3+
TOS
Early DS9/VOY
Early TNG
TMP

Yeah, Enterprise outfits were definitely in my top 3. Not so great series, but I loved the NASA flightsuit inspired unifiorms.

The Enterprise uniforms were probably the most functional and "realistic" of the bunch.  My favorites, however, are the TWOK-TUC era uniforms.  When TWOK came out, a friend of mine remarked that they looked too Soviet. I thought they were fantastic, and they're one of the few ST uniform designs that clearly differentiate officers from crew (chiefs should get their own look, though, because they're chiefs, dammit). 

They also employed more than 3 primary colors to indicate departments, which was a welcome change from the usual "command", "sciences", "operations" partitioning. 

Wholly impractical, though. 

Roddenberry didn't want Starfleet to be overtly militaristic, which is why the TOS uniforms were what they were, and I suspect why the TMP uniforms came across as dental-hygienist-meets-loungewear.  Had they ditched the belly scanner and gone with different colors (and some slight alterations to the cut), they wouldn't have been too bad.  Ragingly 1970s still, yeah, but not too bad.  Closer to the Space:1999 style uniforms, maybe. 

Offline smartcooky

• Uranus
« Reply #126 on: September 15, 2017, 05:40:45 PM »

ISS-43 new ISSpresso machine [Public domain], by NASA, from Wikimedia Commons

ISS-43 Samantha Cristoforetti drinks coffee in the Cupola [Public domain], by NASA, from Wikimedia Commons

Hey Geordie

I'll bet you didn't expect this to turn into a discussion about Scifi Movie uniforms when you posted that photo of Samantha  Cristoforetti, did you? Well, that can happen here sometimes when the membership gets bored while waiting for Hoax Believers to back-up their unsupported assertions and spurious claims with actual evidence.

Say Geordie, what is your last name anyway, and do you wear half a carburettor air filter over your eyes?
If you're not a scientist but you think you've destroyed the foundation of a vast scientific edifice with 10 minutes of Googling, you might want to consider the possibility that you're wrong.

Offline Obviousman

• Jupiter
« Reply #127 on: September 15, 2017, 06:13:19 PM »
I really enjoyed ST:ENT, myself. Sure, there were some stinker eps but there were some really great ones, too.

Offline Geordie

• Earth
« Reply #128 on: September 15, 2017, 08:07:31 PM »
Hey Geordie

I'll bet you didn't expect this to turn into a discussion about Scifi Movie uniforms when you posted that photo of Samantha  Cristoforetti, did you? Well, that can happen here sometimes when the membership gets bored while waiting for Hoax Believers to back-up their unsupported assertions and spurious claims with actual evidence.

Say Geordie, what is your last name anyway, and do you wear half a carburettor air filter over your eyes?
Haha, I considered pointing out that Cristoforetti was in Star Trek livery--turns out it was unnecessary. 

Hmmm, my last name. Email me; I'll email you back, and then you'll know--if you don't already. It's not exactly a state secret. :)

I wear high-powered corrective lenses over my eyes, except when reading (my mom laughs at me: "You take your glasses off to read!") The pink kaffiyeh (which I purchased from a Syrian falafel joint) is fun to wear, but for some reason I have yet to venture out whilst in a masked mode. (That's not entirely correct, the first time I tied it like that I was in a public park, where a child took an intense interest in me (from a metre away,) and referred to me nonchalantly as "the bad guy.")

Please don't report me to the RCMP or the FBI. ;)

[2 edits: added 2 sentences; fixed typo.]
« Last Edit: September 15, 2017, 08:41:29 PM by Geordie »

Offline BazBear

• Mars
« Reply #129 on: September 16, 2017, 01:24:17 AM »
"It's true you know. In space, no one can hear you scream like a little girl." - Mark Watney, protagonist of The Martian by Andy Weir

Offline Geordie

• Earth
« Reply #130 on: September 16, 2017, 11:29:18 AM »
Hey Geordie

[obfuscation and alternative facts]

Okay, okay, after a sleepless night with my conscience tormenting me, I have decided to come clean.

My last name is la Forge and yes, I wear half of a carburetor air filter over my eyes (I believe is made by Fram.) I thought that by spelling my name with an 'e' on the end, I would through people off the scent. I found a picture of some chump over on breitbart to further cloak (cloak?) my identify.

But you figured it out, dammit. Don't tell anyone.

:]

Offline Geordie

• Earth
« Last Edit: September 16, 2017, 12:01:22 PM by Geordie »

Offline Zakalwe

• Uranus
« Reply #132 on: September 16, 2017, 12:20:56 PM »
Looks like our seagull has flapped away....
"The strain of anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' " - Isaac Asimov

Offline gillianren

• Uranus
    • My Letterboxd journal
« Reply #133 on: September 16, 2017, 12:27:37 PM »
"This sounds like a job for Bipolar Bear . . . but I just can't seem to get out of bed!"

"Conspiracy theories are an irresistible labour-saving device in the face of complexity."  --Henry Louis Gates

Offline BazBear

• Mars
« Reply #134 on: September 16, 2017, 01:54:46 PM »
Looks like our seagull has flapped away....
I wonder if he/she would return if we threw up some Golden ArchesTM and scattered some Mc D's fries around? It seems to work for the gulls that can fly. ;)
"It's true you know. In space, no one can hear you scream like a little girl." - Mark Watney, protagonist of The Martian by Andy Weir