Author Topic: Falcon Heavy Test Flight  (Read 47131 times)

Offline Apollo 957

• Earth
Re: Falcon Heavy Test Flight
« Reply #45 on: February 11, 2018, 03:15:55 PM »
"Sook" is Aussie, NZ, Canadian slang for someone who is is easily upset... ie. a "crybaby".

As an aside, it's also Scots slang for a sycophant.

A "sook" would "sook up" (suck up) to somebody...

Offline Bryanpoprobson

• Jupiter
  • Another Clown
« Reply #46 on: February 11, 2018, 03:35:02 PM »
  >:( ;D
"Wise men speak because they have something to say!" "Fools speak, because they have to say something!" (Plato)

Offline smartcooky

• Uranus
« Reply #47 on: February 11, 2018, 05:46:51 PM »
« Last Edit: February 11, 2018, 05:50:42 PM by smartcooky »
If you're not a scientist but you think you've destroyed the foundation of a vast scientific edifice with 10 minutes of Googling, you might want to consider the possibility that you're wrong.

Offline raven

• Uranus
« Reply #48 on: February 11, 2018, 08:11:38 PM »
That's a souq.

"Sook" is Aussie, NZ, Canadian slang for someone who is is easily upset... ie. a "crybaby".

"Wimp" has a similar meaning in the US
I've never heard that one. Must be more an Eastern Canada thing. Kind of like how saying something is Skookum is a Western Canada thing, specifically the Pacific North West. It often means something is strong or, more generally, just terrific. As in "I added some of my mickey to my double-double, and it was just skookum."

Offline Bryanpoprobson

• Jupiter
  • Another Clown
« Reply #49 on: February 12, 2018, 02:17:01 AM »
"Wise men speak because they have something to say!" "Fools speak, because they have to say something!" (Plato)

Offline Count Zero

• Mars
  • Pad 39A July 14,1969
« Reply #50 on: February 12, 2018, 03:37:05 AM »
A sook? As in an Arabic market? What has Arabic markets got to do with Falcon Heavy?

That's a souq.

No, I think "sap" or "sucker" are better US equivalents.
"What makes one step a giant leap is all the steps before."

Offline Zakalwe

• Uranus
« Reply #51 on: February 12, 2018, 07:01:01 AM »
I've never heard that one. Must be more an Eastern Canada thing. Kind of like how saying something is Skookum is a Western Canada thing, specifically the Pacific North West. It often means something is strong or, more generally, just terrific. As in "I added some of my mickey to my double-double, and it was just skookum."

It's also a central part of AvE's lexicon...

"The strain of anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' " - Isaac Asimov

Offline Obviousman

• Jupiter
« Reply #52 on: February 12, 2018, 02:56:28 PM »
A sook? As in an Arabic market? What has Arabic markets got to do with Falcon Heavy?

That's a souq.

No, I think "sap" or "sucker" are better US equivalents.

I have to disagree with you there. Being a sook in no way implies the person is some type of fool; it implies they are being overly emotional, perhaps being childish, weak, etc.

An example might be:

"Listen - you made a challenge and you lost. Now stop being such a sook about it and accept the outcome."

Some good definitions are here:

https://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=Sook
« Last Edit: February 12, 2018, 02:59:50 PM by Obviousman »

Offline smartcooky

• Uranus
« Reply #53 on: February 14, 2018, 06:26:34 AM »
This evening, I was watching the movie "The Martian" with a couple of friends, and something happened that I had completely forgotten.

As the scene/sequence played where the Chinese were preparing to launch the Taiyang Shen resupply mission to Hermes, and Watney was preparing the Rover to leave for the Ares 4 MAV at Schiaparelli, the incidental music being played in the background was....

Starman by David Bowie
If you're not a scientist but you think you've destroyed the foundation of a vast scientific edifice with 10 minutes of Googling, you might want to consider the possibility that you're wrong.

Offline elskeeper

• Mercury
« Reply #54 on: February 14, 2018, 12:35:21 PM »
Hey, fellas. I haven't been around in a long while, just wanted to pop in and express my unbridled, giggling schoolgirl delight about this Falcon Heavy launch. I'm too young to remember Apollo, but I swear this must be what it felt like to watch that unfold.

Can't wait to see what they do next. Hopefully Musk is right and this kicks off a brand new space race! Hopefully without a lot of the negative political BS this time, though...

Offline elskeeper

• Mercury
« Reply #55 on: February 15, 2018, 04:10:26 PM »
Whoops. Off topic, but in the interest of full disclosure, apparently I actually have two accounts on this board, my other account is DD Brock. It seems this is the older of the two accounts, but I have no memory of setting this up.

I wouldn't have even discovered this, but this is a new iPad, and as I hadn't been here in some time I forgot what my username actually was and took a wild guess it was elskeeper when I logged in.

My apologies if I have violated the forum rules, it was not intentional, and I wanted to state all of this publicly. I will sign out with this account and revert to using my DD Brock account within 24 hours, as I have been engaged with Onebigmonkey via private message.

Again, my apologies,

Jason.

Offline Geordie

• Earth
« Reply #56 on: February 16, 2018, 04:40:49 AM »
That's a souq.

"Twenty-seven engines? Talk about skookum!"

Offline Glom

• Saturn
« Reply #57 on: February 18, 2018, 06:38:44 PM »
  >:( ;D

This can't be for real!

ETA: it not. Musk's actual response is shown here

https://www.snopes.com/elon-musk-donald-trump-dumbass/

It was a good fake though. :)
I wouldn't call it good. The font is all wrong.

Besides, it's a poor attack. The actual ingenuity was done by many Americans, so (for once) Trump is actually correct about that regardless of Musk's background.

Offline Apollo 957

• Earth
« Reply #58 on: February 27, 2018, 01:56:52 PM »
Further analysis of cloud patterns, comparing screen-grabs from SpaceX's 'Live views of Starman' video to a Himawari-8 weather satellite image taken around 10 mins before.

This covers the dozen or so rotations that the craft made in an hour or so crossing the Australian region, and shows the orientation and location of the craft each time.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sC8Yh3UT-Do&t=9s

Offline Apollo 957

• Earth
« Reply #59 on: March 02, 2018, 04:19:24 PM »
Is there any data, anywhere, that details the orbital height of the roadster as it coasted around Earth on these (almost) two orbits?

One source says the orbit varied from 180km to 6950km, but is there any indication of when it reached max distance, and at what point it came back to minimum?