Author Topic: Lm hovering  (Read 7584 times)

Offline benparry

• Mars
Lm hovering
« on: January 29, 2018, 01:11:17 PM »
Hey guys hope everybodies well. I decided to join a FB group on the moon landings. Mostly believers. However a gent has shared with me a video which about 22 minutes in seems to show him that the LM is hovering and not orbiting. Any thoughts

Offline bknight

• Neptune
Re: Lm hovering
« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2018, 05:01:55 PM »
Hey guys hope everybodies well. I decided to join a FB group on the moon landings. Mostly believers. However a gent has shared with me a video which about 22 minutes in seems to show him that the LM is hovering and not orbiting. Any thoughts

Just a small correction  there are no believers concerning the program.  We know it all happened.
Truth needs no defense.  Nobody can take those footsteps I made on the surface of the moon away from me.
Eugene Cernan

Offline onebigmonkey

• Uranus
  • ALSJ Clown
    • Apollo Hoax Debunked
« Reply #2 on: January 29, 2018, 05:06:35 PM »
That bit of video is the TV broadcast from the 19th of July (day 200, 19:55), so it's before LM separation.

Transcript here https://history.nasa.gov/afj/ap11fj/12day4-loi2.html
« Last Edit: January 29, 2018, 05:08:29 PM by onebigmonkey »

Offline Grashtel

• Venus
« Reply #3 on: January 29, 2018, 05:55:33 PM »
In what way does he interpret it as hovering?  What does he say should look different if it was orbiting?
"Any technology, no matter how primitive, is magic to those who don't understand it." -Florence Ambrose

Offline nomuse

• Jupiter
« Reply #4 on: January 29, 2018, 07:50:50 PM »
Don't they usually argue that hovering is impossible? (Or is it just that landing under power is impossible?) I don't even....what is gained by the conspiracy to HOVER?

Offline raven

• Uranus
« Reply #5 on: January 29, 2018, 10:32:38 PM »
I think the low frame rate of the camera is what's at fault here.

Offline Zakalwe

• Uranus
« Reply #6 on: January 30, 2018, 02:40:10 AM »

Personally, I think that it's the low intelligence of the person making the ridiculous hoax claim that's at fault.  ;D
"The strain of anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' " - Isaac Asimov

Offline onebigmonkey

• Uranus
  • ALSJ Clown
    • Apollo Hoax Debunked
« Reply #7 on: January 30, 2018, 02:58:54 AM »

...and that the TV camera is hand held and they could point it at whatever they wanted, compensating for the movement of the ship as they did so.

In all the fuss about the surface broadcast people forget that they did a broadcast from lunar orbit with some stunning footage in it.

Offline Trebor

• Earth
« Reply #8 on: January 30, 2018, 03:03:04 AM »
Dunno, the orbital velocity in lunar orbit is much lower than in LEO, add in the lack of scale and I'm not sure exactly how fast it should look.

Offline benparry

• Mars
« Reply #9 on: January 30, 2018, 04:01:37 AM »
Ah ok Trebor. why would the orbital velocity be lower in orbit around the moon. is it because the moon is smaller

Offline benparry

• Mars
« Reply #10 on: January 30, 2018, 04:03:16 AM »
Ah ok onebigmonkey. so if it was before LM seperation would that make a difference to the speed or orbit or indeed anything else

Offline benparry

• Mars
« Reply #11 on: January 30, 2018, 04:08:53 AM »
also BKnight thanks for your answer :) just thought i would let you know your old friend Pascal is part of the group i joined lol

Offline Trebor

• Earth
« Reply #12 on: January 30, 2018, 04:28:00 AM »
Ah ok Trebor. why would the orbital velocity be lower in orbit around the moon. is it because the moon is smaller

Low gravity.

Offline onebigmonkey

• Uranus
  • ALSJ Clown
    • Apollo Hoax Debunked
« Reply #13 on: January 30, 2018, 04:57:50 AM »
Ah ok onebigmonkey. so if it was before LM seperation would that make a difference to the speed or orbit or indeed anything else

It was more a point of pedantry - the footage isn't from the LM, the main thing is that the camera is being actively pointed at a feature which gives it the appearance of not moving much.

Offline benparry

• Mars
« Reply #14 on: January 30, 2018, 05:03:32 AM »
Trebor and Onebigmonkey many thanks for that. the gravity thing i hadnt even considered lol