Author Topic: event in the UK  (Read 14076 times)

Offline Kiwi

• Mars
Re: event in the UK
« Reply #15 on: May 10, 2018, 07:53:40 AM »
Marcus Allen is a hypocrite. It was only a few years ago that he claimed that some group had changed his mind about the moon-landings. I don't have a link now, but I think it might have been an astronomy group to which he had given a talk. They gave him plenty of evidence that he was wrong and he admitted that he was.

But, I guess, making money is much more important than being honest.

Edited to add: Aha, it was a thread here at ApolloHoax:
http://www.apollohoax.net/forum/index.php?topic=32.0

Having a laugh at David Ikes expense may be worthwhile though.  ;D :o

Yes. The first time I heard of Icke was when I read the following article which I considered worth keeping:

New Truth (New Zealand),  Friday 12 April 1991, page 5
NZ doomed!
Ex-Green Party chief warns of devastation and death
Rest of world is going to cop bit of battering too, says new son of God...
   Prepare to meet thy doom!  That's the message Britain's ex-Green Party chief turned prophet has for New Zealand.
   We're just one country singled out by David Icke, the self-styled Son of God.  The former English footballer and BBC sports presenter called a press conference to tell all who would listen that whole countries will disappear in the coming catastrophe, and the world will be rocked by earthquakes, tidal waves, landslides, hurricanes and floods.
   Icke singled out New Zealand for devastation by a tornado and landslides some time before next Christmas.  This may cause some alarm, particularly in the Waikato and Bay of Plenty where about 20 tornadoes and water spouts are recorded each year.  But none have been big enough to cause serious damage since records began 145 years ago!
   Icke claims to get his information from a "high frequency being."  And he says a mystery spirit takes control of his hand when he picks up a pen.
   "I am the conveyer of new truths... a messenger of the great Godhead," he proclaimed.  "l am here to warn the world of pending terrible disasters."
   The ex-Coventry City goalkeeper declared that little evil beings from the star Sirius were to blame for planting a sense of evil in our universe.
   "We have now reached a situation in time when our world is under serious and terrifying threat.  The Godhead itself has become imbalanced," he thundered.
   "The whole of creation could end.  I am here, though, to tell you of these dangers.  And there is still hope.  Please believe, believe in the power of love.  It's mankind's only escape.  If the world cannot find a new and proper balance by the year 1997 then the rest of the universe will have no choice but to cut off planet Earth from the energy system."
   Icke then listed the 32 nightmares destined to devastate the world before Christmas.
   But those of you who feel like rushing outside to build an underground shelter might pause to consider that nobody in Britain is taking Icke seriously.  In fact, at the press conference his own 16-year-old daughter, Kerry, broke into a fit of giggles when her dad predicted disaster.
   And a top psychologist, Jane Fairbank, commented:  "It is so very sad.  He is suffering from deep mental stress.  This often happens to people who have been in the public eye."
32 places to avoid, says Icke
   David Icke predicts a string of disasters are about to rock the world.  He could not give any dates, but New Zealand is listed as one of the places to avoid:
1.  The Shakespeare Cliffs in Kent, England, will be hit by a huge landslide, stopping all work on the Channel Tunnel.
2.  Londonderry, Northern Ireland, will be hit by a hurricane.
3.  The Mull of Kintyre will sink after huge floods.
4.  Tayside is flooded.
5.  Landslides rock the Isle of Arran.
6.  Floods hit the south west coast of Ireland.
7.  A volcano erupts at Mount Rainier, Washington.
8.  Devastating floods in Bangladesh.
9.  Mount Vesuvius erupts in southern Italy, with serious damage to Naples.
10.  Mount Pelee in Martinique blows up, virtually destroying the island.
11.  The Mount Pelee explosion will affect Gulf Stream, causing colder weather in Britain and America.
12.  Major floods in Japan, particularly hitting the city of Nagasaki.
13.  Earthquake rocks Nanking in China.
14.  An earthquake at Wuhan in China, measuring 10 on the Richter scale.
15.  The Arctic circle starts to move south.
16.  Antarctica begins to melt.
17.  Mount Viti Levu in Fiji spews out "the earth's pollution."
18.  A tornado and land slides cause devastation in New Zealand.
19.  A fire destroys Naples cathedral.
20.  Severe floods in Holland.  Amsterdam is badly affected.
21.  Salzburg in Austria hit by an earthquake.
22.  Landslide wrecks Mount Rosa on the Italian/Swiss border.
23.  St Moritz, Switzerland, is destroyed by a landslide.
24.  Mount Etna in Sicily erupts, causing a tidal wave which destroys the island.
25.  Cuba sinks after earthquakes and tidal waves.
26.  An earthquake rocks Mexico.
27.  Mount Fuji all over Japan.
28.  [Missing]
29.  Los Angeles becomes cut off from the rest the American mainland by an earthquake.
30.  Earthquakes hit New York, Las Vegas and the Texas oil fields.
31.  Denmark suffers floods.
32.  Tidal wave swamps Greece and southern Italy.
[Photograph.]
Caption:  Saving the world... Icke (centre) with daughter Kerry (left) and wife Linda.
« Last Edit: May 10, 2018, 09:25:57 AM by Kiwi »
Don't criticize what you can't understand. — Bob Dylan, “The Times They Are A-Changin'” (1963)
Some people think they are thinking when they are really rearranging their prejudices and superstitions. — Edward R. Murrow (1908–65)

Offline Kiwi

• Mars
« Reply #16 on: May 10, 2018, 09:37:53 AM »
A link to the article about Marcus Allen and the The British Interplanetary Society is now dead, so the following typescript is here for future reference.

Meeting details:
Speaker: Marcus Allen (Nexus Magazine) and Jerry Stone (BIS)
Date: 4th April 2012
Start Time: 6:30 pm
End Time: 8:30 pm

Venue: British Interplanetary Society, 27/29 South Lambeth Road, Vauxhall, London, SW8 1SZ

Spaceflight magazine Vol 54 No 06, June 2012, page 237
Marcus Allen faces Jerry Stone - and joins the BIS!
   For more than six months, members of the BIS at home and abroad waited with mixed expectations for a discussion of claimed anomalies in Apollo Lunar surface photography, made by Marcus Allen, Editor of Nexus magazine, a popular international debating organ for conspiracy theories and unconventional topics. Mr Allen was invited to present a talk to discuss the issues involved.
   Many BIS Members and Fellows challenged the need for the Society to hold such a debate, not a few seeing it as pandering to the 'fringe' conspiracy groups supporting the notion that humans never landed on the moon. A waste of time, well, those expecting a fiery confrontation with noted sceptic Marcus Allen were confounded, for it did not turn out that way at all. It turned out that Marcus Allen and the BIS learned more than they expected.
   Marcus Allen braved the potentially hostile reception on 4 April when he presented his assertion that some of the photographs were posed in a 'studio' setting to provide immaculate and stunning images that he believed could not have been taken on the Lunar surface. The room was full as the presentations began, Marcus Allen going first with his presentation and supposedly supporting 'evidence' followed by a rebuttal from Jerry Stone, each getting 45 minutes of uninterrupted time under the chairmanship of BIS Council Member Colin Philp.
   The most impressive aspect to this fascinating evening was the dignity of the audience, the respect for personal opinion displayed by those present, and by the extended interchange where Apollo veterans in the audience contributed in a knowledgeable way. When asked by Spaceflight Editor David Baker to define the precise position he takes, Marcus Allen asserted that he does not challenge the fact that Apollo astronauts landed on the moon. This is contradictory to his published position and the view he takes on radio and TV interviews. But he says he does have issues with the pictures and that was clearly the purpose of his talk, and this aspect quickly became the focal point of discussion.
   With clarification coming from Jerry Stone, and additional factual information provided by professional photographer Colin Philp, it was clear that Marcus Allen was getting information from the BIS audience that he had not received from anyone before. Several times he admitted that the evening was, for him, a learning curve and toward that end it proved valuable for the BIS to realise how little conspiracy theorists know about the science and engineering of Apollo missions. In a relaxed and frank debate, several members challenged his views and a calm and dignified dialogue ensued.
   With strong backup from Keith Wright, a British participant in the Apollo programme, the BIS was able to answer each and every aspect of the photography challenged by Mr Allen. In fact, in closing, he thanked his audience and said that he had never had such a comprehensive and convincing set of rebuttals from any group he had ever spoken to. He openly admitted that this one evening had done a great deal to lie to rest several misgivings he had previously held. In return, the BIS learned a lot too that it would perhaps not have understood had the event not taken place. That rather than being diehard zealots, many who have misgivings about the Apollo landings are ignorant of the facts simply because they have been unable to access explanations in an understandable form.
   In the best possible expression of what the BIS stands for, this evening debate helped demolish myths previously believed by Marcus Allen and enabled all those present to receive a first class lesson in how to counter these assertions in a logical and dignified manner. And the best bit of all? Marcus Allen has joined the BIS!

Photo caption:
Jerry Stone presents a cogent and informed rebuttal to assertions by Marcus Allen that there were certain unexplained anomalies in Apollo photography. BIS

Photo caption:
Colin Philp (left) presents Marcus Allen with a memento of his talk, an evening shared with Jerry Stone speaking for the BIS. BIS
« Last Edit: May 10, 2018, 09:58:40 AM by Kiwi »
Don't criticize what you can't understand. — Bob Dylan, “The Times They Are A-Changin'” (1963)
Some people think they are thinking when they are really rearranging their prejudices and superstitions. — Edward R. Murrow (1908–65)

Offline bknight

• Neptune
« Reply #17 on: May 10, 2018, 10:45:55 AM »
Given that no one here is going to attend, we'll have to wait until some one publishes the talk on YT.  My guess, that he will trot out the same BS as in previous presentations.
Truth needs no defense.  Nobody can take those footsteps I made on the surface of the moon away from me.
Eugene Cernan

Offline gillianren

• Uranus
    • My Letterboxd journal
« Reply #18 on: May 10, 2018, 12:57:14 PM »
Today might be one of the days when I can see Mount Rainier.  (From where I live, it depends on the weather and what part of town I'm in!)  Still hasn't erupted, though it's going to be an enormous problem when it does.
"This sounds like a job for Bipolar Bear . . . but I just can't seem to get out of bed!"

"Conspiracy theories are an irresistible labour-saving device in the face of complexity."  --Henry Louis Gates

Offline Geordie

• Earth
« Reply #19 on: May 10, 2018, 09:53:52 PM »
I love this one.

Offline Jason Thompson

• Uranus
« Reply #20 on: May 11, 2018, 03:39:32 AM »
Mind you, we could set up a crowd fund to send Jason. I'd love to be a fly on the wall to see that. Watching him in action here and CQ with the recent Tim Finch threads, he's like a dog with a bone.

Nice idea, but save your money. When I'm at home on a comfy chair with a cup of tea and some biscuits handy, and can do something else between posts I'm tenacious. Stick me in a room with these idiots for a couple of hours and I'll start throwing things...
"There's this idea that everyone's opinion is equally valid. My arse! Bloke who was a professor of dentistry for forty years does NOT have a debate with some eejit who removes his teeth with string and a door!"  - Dara O'Briain

Offline benparry

• Mars
« Reply #21 on: May 11, 2018, 03:52:16 AM »
Mind you, we could set up a crowd fund to send Jason. I'd love to be a fly on the wall to see that. Watching him in action here and CQ with the recent Tim Finch threads, he's like a dog with a bone.

Nice idea, but save your money. When I'm at home on a comfy chair with a cup of tea and some biscuits handy, and can do something else between posts I'm tenacious. Stick me in a room with these idiots for a couple of hours and I'll start throwing things...

well insults i would hope Jason lol

Offline Jason Thompson

• Uranus
« Reply #22 on: May 11, 2018, 06:15:05 AM »

Well I would certainly start by asking him why, a few years ago, he made a statement that after a very informative discussion with the BIS he realised how erroneous his claims were yet is now promoting the same old rubbish, if not to fleece the people in the room out of their money and see where that goes.
"There's this idea that everyone's opinion is equally valid. My arse! Bloke who was a professor of dentistry for forty years does NOT have a debate with some eejit who removes his teeth with string and a door!"  - Dara O'Briain

Offline benparry

• Mars
« Reply #23 on: May 11, 2018, 07:16:07 AM »

Well I would certainly start by asking him why, a few years ago, he made a statement that after a very informative discussion with the BIS he realised how erroneous his claims were yet is now promoting the same old rubbish, if not to fleece the people in the room out of their money and see where that goes.

yeah i saw that above. i'm sure the people that go to these events dont mind having their money taken as they want to hear this crap.

Offline Kiwi

• Mars
« Reply #24 on: May 11, 2018, 10:54:55 AM »
I love this one.

I wish there was still time for you to edit that as follows:

From Quote from: Kiwi on...

To Quote from: David Icke on...

It really hurts to have Icke's quote in my name.  :( ;D ;D
« Last Edit: May 11, 2018, 10:59:49 AM by Kiwi »

Offline Luke Pemberton

• Uranus
  • Chaos in his tin foil hat
« Reply #25 on: May 11, 2018, 02:03:51 PM »
Stick me in a room with these idiots for a couple of hours and I'll start throwing things...

Save my money? That sounds like money well spent.  ;)
Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former - Albert Einstein.

I can calculate the motion of heavenly bodies, but not the madness of people – Sir Isaac Newton.

A polar orbit would also bypass the SAA - Tim Finch

Offline Geordie

• Earth
« Reply #26 on: May 12, 2018, 02:27:55 AM »
I love this one.

I wish there was still time for you to edit that as follows:

From Quote from: Kiwi on...

To Quote from: David Icke on...

It really hurts to have Icke's quote in my name.  :( ;D ;D
It won't happen again (and the pain will subside in time,) and thanks for quoting that entire article. Another highlight was the description of Icke's daughter having a laugh at his expense.

Offline MartinC

• Mercury
« Reply #27 on: September 06, 2018, 12:10:33 PM »
Given that no one here is going to attend, we'll have to wait until some one publishes the talk on YT.  My guess, that he will trot out the same BS as in previous presentations.

I regret to say that it is now available on YT, all 90 minutes of it. Allen appears to have added  some extra "material" including claiming that NASA has removed some Apollo imagery from the Johnson Space Centre as a result of his investigations and appearing now to also question the Gemini programme on the basis the he can't comprehend that a beacon antenna could be deployed after re-entry (Gemini 6 photo). His wrap-up includes a thanks to his reference sources - Percy, Bennett, Kaysing and White - I don't think I need to say anything more!

Offline onebigmonkey

• Uranus
  • ALSJ Clown
    • Apollo Hoax Debunked
« Reply #28 on: September 06, 2018, 01:39:34 PM »

I regret to say that it is now available on YT, all 90 minutes of it. Allen appears to have added  some extra "material" including claiming that NASA has removed some Apollo imagery from the Johnson Space Centre as a result of his investigations and appearing now to also question the Gemini programme on the basis the he can't comprehend that a beacon antenna could be deployed after re-entry (Gemini 6 photo). His wrap-up includes a thanks to his reference sources - Percy, Bennett, Kaysing and White - I don't think I need to say anything more!

As this is the basis for expattaffy's latest crock I have seen more of this than is healthy and it's chock full of gems.

There's the claim that no astronomer has been able to tell him where the terminator should be during the Apollo 17 landing. There's his claim that you have to have a viewfinder on a camera in order to use a polarising filter. He shows that Apollo 8 Earthrise image, then asks how they could take it from inside the lunar module. Later on he shows the Blue Marble image and claims it's the only image of Earth he could find - despite having already shown the Apollo 8 Earthrise and two shots of Earth from the lunar surface in Apollo 11. He says it's impossible to take the Apollo 17 photo where the Earth is at the end of the flag.  He claims that a photo of Armstrong in the LM was taken using a flash and that red-eye is caused by the flash being too close to the lens.

It goes on and on on - it's a full house on the conspiracy bingo card with a howler every few minutes (the LRO took its photo of Apollo 12 from 30 feet), right down to claiming that all the moon rocks were stolen and he has one right there with him. Oh, and let's not forget that Copernicus crater was not caused by an impact but electrical discharge caused by the passage of Venus nearby (no really, there's evidence for this).

Throw stuff at him, just make sure it's nothing valuable - he's not worth it.

Offline raven

• Uranus
« Reply #29 on: September 06, 2018, 02:40:58 PM »
The stupid, it burns us, it does! :o
"He shows that Apollo 8 Earthrise image, then asks how they could take it from inside the lunar module."
Just . . . so much wrong with that!