Author Topic: Apollo Pictures  (Read 10662 times)

Offline raven

• Uranus
Re: Apollo Pictures
« Reply #15 on: February 17, 2018, 01:46:16 AM »
Near the back of the  December 1969 edition of National Geographic, there is, among with several photos from Apollo 11 itself in the magazine proper, including two page spreads, there is an advertisement for Apollo 11 images in slide, print, and poster form. I can confirm this with my own print copy, which I will scan from if requested.

I have the same issue in print.  Does yours still have the vinyl phonograph sheet?
Sadly no. I found it used at a thrift store in not terribly great condition. More than readable, but definitely the worse for wear. Mind you, I didn't then and still don't have any way of playing back such a thing, so it's no great loss for me, but it would be nice to have it.

Offline Philthy

• Venus
« Reply #16 on: February 17, 2018, 08:07:41 PM »
For what's it's worth...........I have the same issue.....Sadly, the "record" was gone when I got it.

Phil
The capacity of conspiracy theorists to deny science and hand-wave away evidence is infinite, as is their level of stupid. -- Smartcooky

Offline Nowhere Man

• Venus
« Reply #17 on: February 18, 2018, 09:09:27 PM »
Dunno if I have the issue, but I do have the record, "Sounds of Space."  Sooner or later I'll digitize it.

Fred
Hey, you!  "It's" with an apostrophe means "it is" or "it has."  "Its" without an apostrophe means "belongs to it."

"For shame, gentlemen, pack your evidence a little better against another time."
-- John Dryden, "The Vindication of The Duke of Guise" 1684

Offline jfb

• Mars
« Reply #18 on: April 06, 2018, 02:45:46 PM »
You could order any picture you wanted from the JSC photo library, back then, back before the IBM PC, let alone Photoshop.  It is an ignorant and frankly lazy and idiotic claim.
I once asked a photoshop-conspiracy guy exactly what seventies-era computer equipment was used for the photoshopping, and he told me to "ask the guy that did it."

Heh.  It has to be a hoax because we didn't have the equipment to fake it.  That's...logical

Offline Abaddon

• Saturn
« Reply #19 on: April 21, 2018, 05:15:11 AM »
Michael J Tuttle was the name of the person thrown in who faked the moon pictures. anybody heard that name before.
This is one of the odder crank claims.

The original photos were on traditional film. All the way back in the 60s/70s. What else do you think might be used?

There was no internet back then. Where would anyone post the files?

When the internet turned up, somebody had to scan those photos to disk and then post them on the internet. How else could that have happened?

That person had a name. How could they not have one?

That person had to use some imaging software in order to perform that task. How else could they have scanned the images?

What is the goto software for such a task? Photoshop.

The only mystery here is that cranks cannot figure out such simple things.

Sometimes I shudder at the thought that there are people in this world who have no memory of a time before there was an internet or digital photography or cell phones. Such technology is so ubiquitous, they simply assume that it always existed.

Back in the early days of satellite photography, the actual film was plonked in a re-entry vessel and physically returned to earth. The Ranger missions used fax tech. Who uses fax nowadays?

Offline Allan F

• Saturn
« Reply #20 on: April 23, 2018, 08:42:43 AM »
The entire plot from the book "Ice Station Zebra" was based on retrieving such a film.
Well, it is like this: The truth doesn't need insults. Insults are the refuge of a darkened mind, a mind that refuses to open and see. Foul language can't outcompete knowledge. And knowledge is the result of education. Education is the result of the wish to know more, not less.

Offline Obviousman

• Jupiter
« Reply #21 on: April 23, 2018, 05:20:58 PM »
It was actually used until quite late in the piece, until the quality of transmitted images matched the quality that could be obtained by film.

Offline raven

• Uranus
« Reply #22 on: April 23, 2018, 11:42:24 PM »
It was actually used until quite late in the piece, until the quality of transmitted images matched the quality that could be obtained by film.
Many (though not all) early probes and satellites that transmitted their pictures still used film which was then developed and scanned on board to be transmitted, the very first example being Luna 3. The prosaically named Lunar Orbiter series also took this approach.

Offline Luke Pemberton

• Uranus
  • Chaos in his tin foil hat
« Reply #23 on: April 24, 2018, 12:01:17 AM »
Many (though not all) early probes and satellites that transmitted their pictures still used film which was then developed and scanned on board to be transmitted, the very first example being Luna 3. The prosaically named Lunar Orbiter series also took this approach.

Despite being bathed in deadly radiation, they still managed to take pictures and return them unfogged. Amazing how they did that. In all seriousness, it was fairly incredible given the time.
Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former - Albert Einstein.

I can calculate the motion of heavenly bodies, but not the madness of people – Sir Isaac Newton.

A polar orbit would also bypass the SAA - Tim Finch

Offline raven

• Uranus
« Reply #24 on: April 24, 2018, 02:14:10 AM »
Despite being bathed in deadly radiation, they still managed to take pictures and return them unfogged. Amazing how they did that. In all seriousness, it was fairly incredible given the time.
Even better, from the former perspective, are Zond 5-8 , which sent film cameras to the moon and back. The only one that got fogged by radiation was Zond-6, and that one crash landed.  ;)

Offline Luke Pemberton

• Uranus
« Reply #25 on: April 24, 2018, 12:59:54 PM »
Even better, from the former perspective, are Zond 5-8 , which sent film cameras to the moon and back. The only one that got fogged by radiation was Zond-6, and that one crash landed.  ;)

Have you any idea for the fogging? Had the Zond been compromised before it crash land and the fogged prior to the crash landing, or had the films been damaged in the crash land?

In any case. The films would have travelled each way through the van Allen belts. I'm not sure of the Zond orbits, do we know what part of the belts the Zond's traversed?
« Last Edit: April 24, 2018, 01:18:14 PM by Luke Pemberton »
Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former - Albert Einstein.

I can calculate the motion of heavenly bodies, but not the madness of people – Sir Isaac Newton.

Offline raven

• Uranus
« Reply #26 on: April 24, 2018, 01:31:31 PM »

Have you any idea for the fogging? Had the Zond been compromised for it crash land and the fogged prior to the crash landing, or had the films been damaged in the crash land?

In any case. The films would have travelled each way through the van Allen belts. I'm not sure of the Zond orbits, do we know what part of the belts the Zond's traversed?
They fogged because it crashed and visible electromagnetic radiation fogged the film.
I don't know the exact details of Zond-6's trajectory, sadly, and haven't had much luck as of yet with Google.

Offline Luke Pemberton

• Uranus
« Reply #27 on: April 24, 2018, 01:45:27 PM »
They fogged because it crashed and visible electromagnetic radiation fogged the film.

I should have guessed really, it's the most obvious scenario, but I did wonder if the films would have survived a crash landing at all. I know little about films, but given how little they fogged surely is proof that radiation in space isn't a region of seething death.

I don't know the exact details of Zond-6's trajectory, sadly, and haven't had much luck as of yet with Google.

I was trying to find it when TF introduced Orion versus Apollo.