Author Topic: Gardum's thread  (Read 39120 times)

Offline Zakalwe

• Uranus
Re: Gardum's thread
« Reply #105 on: September 13, 2017, 04:44:25 PM »
Actually, the Hasselblad cameras were used on Mercury and Gemini as well.  If you wanted to attack an Apollo-only system you might be better off going after the Maurer 16mm DAC cameras.

It's a good point. However, given that Gardum appeared ignorant of the early flights in the Apollo program, it's highly likely that he has never heard of Gemini or Mercury. It's a common trait amongst hoaxies- they attack parts of Apollo without realising that many of the key elements of the program had been proven in Gemini.
"The strain of anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' " - Isaac Asimov

Offline bknight

• Neptune
« Reply #106 on: September 13, 2017, 05:03:10 PM »
Everything that sees you radiates energy toward you.  Radiative heat transfer is the sum of all the net heat flows between you and everything you see/that sees you.

And that's the fun part to model for thermal analysis purposes.  Imagine you're laying on your back on the ground, and over you is a transparent hemispherical dome.  You have a stick with a Sharpie on it, long enough for you to inscribe the dome from underneath.  So for each object, you draw its outline on the dome from your vantage point, so faraway things have a small outline etc.  You just draw it as you see it from your position on the floor at the center of the dome.  Now hang a plumb-bob from each corner or contour of the image you drew on the dome for each object and mark the projected outline on the floor.  Obviously things directly above you transcribe down to the floor with little if any distortion.  Objects that were essentially on the horizon -- i.e., in a direction perpendicular to your plane of interest (the floor) -- are squished and narrowed.  Now for each object, consider the ratio of the area you outlined on the floor to the area of the whole circle of floor under the dome.  That gives you a rough attenuation factor for the energy you're receiving in radiant fashion from that object.  You can scale the amount of heat you compute it's emitting by that ratio and come up with a reasonable estimate for how much of that energy is arriving at some surface.

This feels like a free body analysis, with me shuddering.

The lunar module actually had a problem with this on one of the missions that landed in the highlands.  A particular bit of equipment wasn't radiating away its heat at the expected rate.  Engineers figured out that because of the angle the LM had landed at, the radiator for that equipment actually had a view factor to the top of one of the mountains, and it was radiating enough heat onto the radiator to disrupt the equilibrium.  It had been designed to have a view factor only to empty space.

I believe smartcooky has the right stuff.
Truth needs no defense.  Nobody can take those footsteps I made on the surface of the moon away from me.
Eugene Cernan

Offline smartcooky

• Uranus
« Reply #107 on: September 13, 2017, 06:23:00 PM »
Actually, the Hasselblad cameras were used on Mercury and Gemini as well.  If you wanted to attack an Apollo-only system you might be better off going after the Maurer 16mm DAC cameras.

It's a good point. However, given that Gardum appeared ignorant of the early flights in the Apollo program, it's highly likely that he has never heard of Gemini or Mercury. It's a common trait amongst hoaxies- they attack parts of Apollo without realising that many of the key elements of the program had been proven in Gemini.

Not only in-flight/in-space testing either. Equipment was extensively tested on the ground in lunar type environments, for example space suits were rigorously tested in a vacuum chamber while being worn by test subjects. There was a near-fatal accident while doing so ...

http://www.popularmechanics.com/space/a24127/nasa-vacuum-exposure/

Of course Hoaxtards know nothing of all this.
If you're not a scientist but you think you've destroyed the foundation of a vast scientific edifice with 10 minutes of Googling, you might want to consider the possibility that you're wrong.

Offline Zakalwe

• Uranus
« Reply #108 on: September 13, 2017, 06:44:52 PM »
Not only in-flight/in-space testing either. Equipment was extensively tested on the ground in lunar type environments, for example space suits were rigorously tested in a vacuum chamber while being worn by test subjects. There was a near-fatal accident while doing so ...

http://www.popularmechanics.com/space/a24127/nasa-vacuum-exposure/

Of course Hoaxtards know nothing of all this.

Indeed.
Hoaxies seem incapable of grasping the fact that the program was built on a series of incremental steps.Even the "All Up" testing if the Saturn had incremental steps.
"The strain of anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' " - Isaac Asimov

Offline Geordie

• Earth
« Reply #109 on: September 13, 2017, 09:48:02 PM »
Hi everybody!
People don't judge me and haters don't hate
In my safe space (your safe space)
Hello [...] I am here as a noob and first time poster.
Although I have been here just a hair's breadth (if you'll excuse the metaphor) longer than the three of you,

Please accept my heartfelt welcome, and if any of you (or the rest of the board for that matter) find yourself in Vancouver, get a hold of me and I'll treat you to a cup of coffee.

Everyone have a great [whatever time of day it is where you are].

Geordie

Offline raven

• Uranus
« Reply #110 on: September 13, 2017, 10:52:49 PM »
Heh, I'm on Vancouver Island, Geordie. If I am in the neighborhood, I might just take you up on that. :)

Offline gillianren

• Uranus
    • My Letterboxd journal
« Reply #111 on: September 14, 2017, 12:06:25 PM »
Hey, I'm just across the border from you folks!  Well, and a couple hours' drive south.
"This sounds like a job for Bipolar Bear . . . but I just can't seem to get out of bed!"

"Conspiracy theories are an irresistible labour-saving device in the face of complexity."  --Henry Louis Gates

Offline Geordie

• Earth
« Reply #112 on: September 14, 2017, 01:08:06 PM »
Heh, I'm on Vancouver Island, Geordie. If I am in the neighborhood, I might just take you up on that. :)
Hey, I'm just across the border from you folks!  Well, and a couple hours' drive south.
All welcome.
'Twould be fun.
The first Vancouver BC ApolloHoax ISSpresso meetup!

ISS-43 new ISSpresso machine [Public domain], by NASA, from Wikimedia Commons

ISS-43 Samantha Cristoforetti drinks coffee in the Cupola [Public domain], by NASA, from Wikimedia Commons
« Last Edit: September 14, 2017, 01:10:49 PM by Geordie »

Offline smartcooky

• Uranus
« Reply #113 on: September 14, 2017, 05:25:26 PM »

I see Samantha is wearing her Star Trek Federation Engineers uniform
« Last Edit: September 14, 2017, 05:27:13 PM by smartcooky »
If you're not a scientist but you think you've destroyed the foundation of a vast scientific edifice with 10 minutes of Googling, you might want to consider the possibility that you're wrong.

Offline Glom

• Saturn
« Reply #114 on: September 14, 2017, 08:16:27 PM »
That uniform is the lamest one. Go with the movies one or maybe the First Contact one.

Offline raven

• Uranus
« Reply #115 on: September 14, 2017, 10:21:47 PM »
That uniform is the lamest one. Go with the movies one or maybe the First Contact one.
Nah, the lamest was the 1st movie. *shudder*

Offline bknight

• Neptune
« Reply #116 on: September 14, 2017, 11:05:49 PM »

I concur.
Truth needs no defense.  Nobody can take those footsteps I made on the surface of the moon away from me.
Eugene Cernan

Offline smartcooky

• Uranus
« Reply #117 on: September 14, 2017, 11:12:02 PM »

Grey, beige and white.... ugh!

ETA

As if we needed reminding....Ugh!2
« Last Edit: September 14, 2017, 11:21:17 PM by smartcooky »

Offline Geordie

• Earth
« Reply #118 on: September 15, 2017, 01:22:17 AM »

Grey, beige and white.... ugh!

ETA

As if we needed reminding....Ugh!2

Burn, baby burn--Disco inferno  8) ???

Offline nomuse

• Jupiter
« Reply #119 on: September 15, 2017, 03:52:34 AM »
I saw a production of The Winter's Tale costumed by the same designer. Ghastly (although the costumes were far from the weakest part of that production).