Author Topic: Boris Johnson misses the point again...  (Read 2702 times)

Offline Jason Thompson

• Uranus
Boris Johnson misses the point again...
« on: July 22, 2019, 02:47:39 PM »
Boris Johnson, who seesm most likely to be our Prime Minster by this time tomorrow, has compared Brexit to the Moon landings. Here's what he said:

“if they could use hand-knitted computer code to make a frictionless re-entry to Earth’s atmosphere in 1969, we can solve the problem of frictionless trade at the Northern Irish border”

Now, does anyone see an issue with the concept of frictionless re-entry....
"There's this idea that everyone's opinion is equally valid. My arse! Bloke who was a professor of dentistry for forty years does NOT have a debate with some eejit who removes his teeth with string and a door!"  - Dara O'Briain

Offline bknight

• Neptune
Re: Boris Johnson misses the point again...
« Reply #1 on: July 22, 2019, 04:00:44 PM »
Doesn't seem likely to have a frictionless entry into the Earth's atmosphere.
Truth needs no defense.  Nobody can take those footsteps I made on the surface of the moon away from me.
Eugene Cernan

Offline Zakalwe

• Uranus
« Reply #2 on: July 22, 2019, 04:22:43 PM »
Boris Johnson, who seesm most likely to be our Prime Minster by this time tomorrow, has compared Brexit to the Moon landings. Here's what he said:

“if they could use hand-knitted computer code to make a frictionless re-entry to Earth’s atmosphere in 1969, we can solve the problem of frictionless trade at the Northern Irish border”

Now, does anyone see an issue with the concept of frictionless re-entry....

I have much more of an issue with this a-hole leading the country. Mind you, could we launch him into space and see how he copes with re-entry?

Ladies and gentlemen, I present the UK's new Prime Minister:

And here was me thinking that the US have cornered the market on buffoons leading the country.... >:(
"The strain of anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' " - Isaac Asimov

Offline gillianren

• Uranus
    • My Letterboxd journal
« Reply #3 on: July 23, 2019, 11:49:15 AM »
. . . Sure, okay.
"This sounds like a job for Bipolar Bear . . . but I just can't seem to get out of bed!"

"Conspiracy theories are an irresistible labour-saving device in the face of complexity."  --Henry Louis Gates

Offline raven

• Uranus
« Reply #4 on: July 23, 2019, 04:37:35 PM »
We got our share in Canuck land right now  too. Doug Ford (current premier of Ontario) is basically Canada's Trump. But, yeah, that . . . that's not how it works.

Offline smartcooky

• Uranus
« Reply #5 on: July 23, 2019, 08:30:42 PM »
Boris can't be another Trump.... He might tick the "Incompetent buffoon" and the "Bad hair" boxes , but he misses out on the two really important boxes

1. "Criminal"
2. "Orange"

If you're not a scientist but you think you've destroyed the foundation of a vast scientific edifice with 10 minutes of Googling, you might want to consider the possibility that you're wrong.

Offline Glom

• Saturn
« Reply #6 on: July 24, 2019, 10:17:25 AM »
Also, the racism stuff. Boris has said too many racially insensitive things, but I don't believe he's engaged in the same race-baiting as Trump. And I can't see him banning transgendered people from serving in the military.

So there's some small mercies.

There's also the highest probability of all other candidates that he'd just revoke it things got too hairy. He's not really a true believer. Leave was purely a vehicle for his ambitions. But having fronted Leave his had more credibility than an erstwhile remainer but not being a true believer is less inclined to go down with the ship for it.
« Last Edit: July 24, 2019, 10:20:12 AM by Glom »

Offline Bryanpoprobson

• Jupiter
  • Another Clown
« Reply #7 on: July 24, 2019, 11:58:49 AM »
"I felt a great disturbance in the Force, as if millions of voices suddenly cried out in terror and were suddenly silenced. I fear something terrible has happened."

upload images without account
"Wise men speak because they have something to say!" "Fools speak, because they have to say something!" (Plato)