Author Topic: "To Rule the Night" by Jim Irwin  (Read 3502 times)

Offline mako88sb

• Mars
"To Rule the Night" by Jim Irwin
« on: November 05, 2014, 02:53:37 PM »
I've been meaning to get his book for awhile and it arrived today. I'm only on the first chapter but it's a great book so far. I found his description of food preparation and how best to open the soup bags interesting. I'm a big soup fan so finding out that he had his favorite restaurant, Chalet Suzanne, approached by NASA to supply freeze-dried soup a great little piece of trivia. I had to check and see if the restaurant is still around and wouldn't you know it, they just closed last August after 83 years in business:

[email protected]

Anyway, after checking out some reviews, I can see why it closed. Sounds like it went downhill pretty bad over the years.

Aside from that, finding out that Irwin quickly lost interest with flying while in flight school was pretty funny. Main reason it would seem, was he didn't like the bumpy air in Hondo, Texas. ;D He actually tried quitting but when he was told his only way out was to sign something saying he was afraid of flying, he decided to stick with it. Sort of reminds me of Al Worden. There's a guy who's probably the only pre-shuttle astronaut who didn't dream of becoming a pilot when he was a kid. Just kind of fell into it and look were he ended up.

« Last Edit: November 05, 2014, 03:02:53 PM by mako88sb »