Author Topic: Small victories  (Read 8447 times)

Offline Glom

• Saturn
Small victories
« on: April 18, 2013, 03:43:08 PM »
What occasions have there been when a HB we have engaged has conceded fully? Not one of those HB to solipsist conversions, but a full realisation that the hoax stuff is bunk and everything happened as history records.

Offline Allan F

• Saturn
Re: Small victories
« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2013, 03:53:49 PM »
Well, I have been discussing with a person on youtube for the last 6 weeks or so. Last Tuesday, he conceded a point, where he had made an obvious mistake. But his core belief that Apollo didn't happen, is untouched.

He had wandered off into claiming other theories were fake, like dinosaurs weren't extinct before humans appeared. And then he claimed radioactive dating wasn't reliable, based on the argument that lava, less than 200 years on the surface, was dated to be anywhere from millions to billions of years old. I argued, that it was created much longer ago, and being underground didn't alter it's radioactive components. This he admitted. But arguing everything else is like hitting a wall. He is also a closet creationist, Hitler apologist, Holocaust denier.

Well, it is like this: The truth doesn't need insults. Insults are the refuge of a darkened mind, a mind that refuses to open and see. Foul language can't outcompete knowledge. And knowledge is the result of education. Education is the result of the wish to know more, not less.

Offline Chew

• Jupiter
« Reply #2 on: April 18, 2013, 05:18:33 PM »
And then he claimed radioactive dating wasn't reliable, based on the argument that lava, less than 200 years on the surface, was dated to be anywhere from millions to billions of years old.

Was that based on this? CD014.1: Isochron of Grand Canyon lava flows

Offline Allan F

• Saturn
« Reply #3 on: April 18, 2013, 05:22:16 PM »
He didn't provide a source. I have given up on him providing sources for his ideas, since he don't do that.

Edit: If I understand that link correctly, the idea of isotope analysis being invalid stems from using samples from different layers and subjecting them to different isotope analysis. And the layers being of vastly different age.
« Last Edit: April 18, 2013, 05:25:24 PM by Allan F »
Well, it is like this: The truth doesn't need insults. Insults are the refuge of a darkened mind, a mind that refuses to open and see. Foul language can't outcompete knowledge. And knowledge is the result of education. Education is the result of the wish to know more, not less.

Offline raven

• Uranus
« Reply #4 on: April 18, 2013, 06:56:01 PM »
I was able to convince a youtuber that, no, the LM exhaust should not have been visible shortly after ignition, using the example of the Delta II second stage.

Offline Inanimate Carbon Rod

• Mars
    • evilscience
« Reply #5 on: April 18, 2013, 07:28:31 PM »
I was able to convince a YouTuber that the LM was aerodymically and structurally incapable of flying in the Earth's atmosphere. However, I gave up when he asked to see footage filmed from the Luna surface of the LM landing. He was also a holocaust denier, hitler apologist and NWO believer. I ended up reporting him when he started to use racist and sexually offensive language to address me.
Formerly Supermeerkat. Like you care.

Offline raven

• Uranus
« Reply #6 on: April 18, 2013, 07:48:00 PM »
Except for the first part, he would never agree to anything I said, that sounds familiar. I could say the sky was blue and he's insist it was green. I actually wished him a Merry Christmas once and he went on a rant about dead Jesus and such.

Offline Noldi400

• Jupiter
« Reply #7 on: April 18, 2013, 08:15:45 PM »
I was able to convince a YouTuber that the LM was aerodymically and structurally incapable of flying in the Earth's atmosphere. However, I gave up when he asked to see footage filmed from the Luna surface of the LM landing. He was also a holocaust denier, hitler apologist and NWO believer. I ended up reporting him when he started to use racist and sexually offensive language to address me.

Let me guess - he accused you of being "a Jew" because you believe that we went to the moon via Apollo?

I've gotten that one from various nuts, although I don't quite see how it's an accusation, or insulting, or relevant.
"The sane understand that human beings are incapable of sustaining conspiracies on a grand scale, because some of our most defining qualities as a species are... a tendency to panic, and an inability to keep our mouths shut." - Dean Koontz

Offline Allan F

• Saturn
« Reply #8 on: April 18, 2013, 08:55:37 PM »
What was his handle? "Mine" did the same once, but when I told him I wasn't religious, he didn't repeat it.

Offline Noldi400

• Jupiter
« Reply #9 on: April 18, 2013, 10:48:28 PM »
It was a she; the exchange is summarized here:
http://www.apollohoax.net/forum/index.php?topic=146.msg5766#msg5766

I was as dumbstruck as if she'd said "Aha! I'll bet you wear black socks!"
"The sane understand that human beings are incapable of sustaining conspiracies on a grand scale, because some of our most defining qualities as a species are... a tendency to panic, and an inability to keep our mouths shut." - Dean Koontz

Offline Allan F

• Saturn
« Reply #10 on: April 18, 2013, 11:17:20 PM »
I know it's bad manner, but these people must have problems in society.

Edit: I've actually seen that handle today, on another Apollo video.
« Last Edit: April 18, 2013, 11:35:00 PM by Allan F »

Offline Noldi400

• Jupiter
« Reply #11 on: April 19, 2013, 05:21:30 PM »
I know it's bad manner, but these people must have problems in society.

Edit: I've actually seen that handle today, on another Apollo video.
If you mean the Hunt female, if you check out her YT likes, she's a hard-core... well, something. I'm not sure what.