Author Topic: ISS Airlock Hatch to Space Suspect. Please explain.  (Read 3813 times)

Offline Icarus1

• Earth
ISS Airlock Hatch to Space Suspect. Please explain.
« on: January 20, 2017, 08:50:48 PM »
Hi all.  Some of you have met me already.  Let's try a fresh approach.

Recently bought a 4k Tv and been watching the Earth go by in Ultra Hi Def.  It's amazing.

I've been recently labelled a Fringe Theorist, so I'll go with that till it doesn't fit.

So, here's my question, but I need to know the answer before I show the evidence.  I hope this way the understanding and explanation will be obvious before I share a link to a video.

So, I've yet to whitness an dactuall Air Lock opening in Space.  Specifically the ISS.  I'm not for one instance suggesting anything sinister, but the only clips I can find are when it's already open.

OR, i have seen several clips in Hi Def where what I assume (wrongly) is the external hatch to space, is flapping like a piece of cardboard.

Can someone explain to me very early on what this is and why this is so?  I have assumed it is simply a light weight dust shield and the actual exterior Air Lock is inside?

Thanks

Offline ka9q

• Neptune
Re: ISS Airlock Hatch to Space Suspect. Please explain.
« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2017, 09:03:23 PM »
I think you should show us or point us to the clips in question.

Offline Icarus1

• Earth
« Reply #2 on: January 20, 2017, 09:07:13 PM »

That is a fair statement to make and I am not refusing but reluctant.  I want to know if this has already been covered OR if someone with the knowledge Knows what I'm talking about and can tell me off the bat.

I'm not here to stir the pot.  I've sen something very very obvious that cannot be an Airlock but it without doubt the final exit to space.

Someone will know categorically for sure that what I am talking about is either a Dust shield or something else of this description as it cannot be an Air Lock.  So my question is, what can it be?

Offline Icarus1

• Earth
« Reply #3 on: January 20, 2017, 09:14:14 PM »

Actually OK, here's the Link.

Now Seriously!  I'm pretty sure these are Not Airlocks Nor are they supposed to be.  As my 'Friend' (discussed earlier) tried to convince me of this, it did get my attention, but it's so obviously Not an Air Lock it must be a Dust shield or whatever?

Offline ka9q

• Neptune
« Reply #4 on: January 20, 2017, 09:14:33 PM »
Until you show or point us to the clips in question, you are simply spinning your wheels.

So, are you asking a question because you honestly want to know the answer, or are you using it as a rhetorical weapon?

That's a question in which I am honestly interested in the answer.

Offline Icarus1

• Earth
« Reply #5 on: January 20, 2017, 09:18:19 PM »
Until you show or point us to the clips in question, you are simply spinning your wheels.

So, are you asking a question because you honestly want to know the answer, or are you using it as a rhetorical weapon?

That's a question in which I am honestly interested in the answer.

Please Stop with the Weapon Talk.  I'm not hear to trip anyone up.  There's an obvious time gap in posts.  the clips are obvious.  I just want to know what they are.

Offline ka9q

• Neptune
« Reply #6 on: January 20, 2017, 09:19:51 PM »
Nevermind my last message, it crossed yours in transit.

It would be much better if you can provide original video clips rather than copies that are being paused, drawn and spoken over by some long-winded and clueless conspiracy theorist.

Nevertheless, I see enough of the "hatch" to have a pretty good idea what it is. It's not a hatch but a thermal control cover. It is not intended to withstand pressure of any kind, it is only there to block radiative heat transfer -- the only way heat can travel through a vacuum. One of the most common materials used on the outer surface of thermal covers in manned space flight is "beta cloth", a woven fiberglass that has been coated with Teflon. It's been used since Apollo, when it was introduced after the Apollo 1 fire since it is very fire resistant.

Offline Icarus1

• Earth
« Reply #7 on: January 20, 2017, 09:25:32 PM »
Ah well, not a dust sheet but a thermal cloth!

Thanks.

Call this closed! :D 

Easy innit?

Offline ka9q

• Neptune
« Reply #8 on: January 21, 2017, 12:37:01 AM »
I've since found some comments on that video that also say it's a thermal cover, and even give a link to a NASA page that explain why the edges appear burnt in some pictures.

The cover protects the aluminum hatch (which opens inward, probably so interior pressure helps it seal) from temperature extremes that can cause it to warp.

http://space.stackexchange.com/questions/3200/what-is-the-cause-of-discoloration-along-the-edges-of-the-quest-joint-airlock-th

Offline Abaddon

• Saturn
« Reply #9 on: January 21, 2017, 06:58:32 AM »
I've since found some comments on that video that also say it's a thermal cover, and even give a link to a NASA page that explain why the edges appear burnt in some pictures.

The cover protects the aluminum hatch (which opens inward, probably so interior pressure helps it seal) from temperature extremes that can cause it to warp.

http://space.stackexchange.com/questions/3200/what-is-the-cause-of-discoloration-along-the-edges-of-the-quest-joint-airlock-th
One addition, it also provides micrometeorite protection.

People often think of the airlock as a tunnel with a door at either end, but it is a far more complex animal.
https://www.nasa.gov/externalflash/ISSRG/pdfs/quest.pdf

Offline Apollo 957

• Earth
« Reply #10 on: January 26, 2017, 04:58:32 AM »
i have seen several clips in Hi Def where what I assume (wrongly) is the external hatch to space, is flapping like a piece of cardboard.

Can someone explain to me very early on what this is and why this is so?  I have assumed it is simply a light weight dust shield and the actual exterior Air Lock is inside?

Thanks

Yes, it's an external thermal cover. The actual door opens inward.

Pictures of it are easily found by googling combinations of the keywords above

Offline Glom

• Saturn
« Reply #11 on: January 26, 2017, 07:39:29 AM »
It is usually best for air locks to open inwards. Pressure keeps them closed that way.