Author Topic: Freedom  (Read 10175 times)

Offline raven

• Uranus
Re: Freedom
« Reply #15 on: April 16, 2013, 10:42:29 PM »
I'm certainly not stepping forward to defend the policies or actions of my country's government.

I am just objecting to Believer's characterization of NASA (?) or the USA as a totalitarian regime. He either doesn't know what "totalitarian" means or he's not familiar with life in the US.

I'm sure each one of us has met that type in the real world too.  The "nobody can tell me what to think" type who spends most of the time telling others what to do or think.  Just another outlier on the great diversity distribution that is humanity.
I think we all have a little bit of that person inside us, though not all have it as their dominate personality feature.

Offline Noldi400

• Jupiter
« Reply #16 on: April 17, 2013, 10:31:59 AM »
I'm certainly not stepping forward to defend the policies or actions of my country's government.

I am just objecting to Believer's characterization of NASA (?) or the USA as a totalitarian regime. He either doesn't know what "totalitarian" means or he's not familiar with life in the US.

I'm sure each one of us has met that type in the real world too.  The "nobody can tell me what to think" type who spends most of the time telling others what to do or think.  Just another outlier on the great diversity distribution that is humanity.

This. My dad used to say, "Well, I guess someone has to live at the ends of the bell curve."
"The sane understand that human beings are incapable of sustaining conspiracies on a grand scale, because some of our most defining qualities as a species are... a tendency to panic, and an inability to keep our mouths shut." - Dean Koontz

Offline Echnaton

• Saturn
« Reply #17 on: April 17, 2013, 12:34:09 PM »
I think we all have a little bit of that person inside us, though not all have it as their dominate personality feature.

I certainly do.  But I try not to let him get into too much trouble because experience has taught me that some people can tell me how to do things better than I could have ever thought of on my own.  And I want to stay married.
The sun shone, having no alternative, on the nothing new. —Samuel Beckett

Offline Echnaton

• Saturn
« Reply #18 on: April 17, 2013, 12:39:17 PM »
This. My dad used to say, "Well, I guess someone has to live at the ends of the bell curve."

The tails of that curve can get very fat. There is no normal distribution of normal when it comes to humanity. Whatever that means. ;)
The sun shone, having no alternative, on the nothing new. —Samuel Beckett