Author Topic: Podcasts - What are you listening to?  (Read 3732 times)

Offline Obviousman

• Jupiter
Podcasts - What are you listening to?
« on: November 21, 2019, 07:18:17 PM »
Thought I might share what I listen to, and see what others listen to.

OMEGA TAU - Science & technology podcast, in English & German. Lots of space & aviation related topics, and highly recommended.

SKEPTICS GUIDE TO THE UNIVERSE - I'm sure everyone has heard of this.

SKEPTOID - Small 10 min eps dealing with a subject, sorting out fact from myth.

PROBABLY SCIENCE - Two stand-up comedians, both with a science background, have guests on and discuss science news. Very funny, very good.

THE DOLLOP - Two guys deal with an American history subject. Extremely funny as well as being slightly educational.

TOFOP / FOFOP - Australian comedian Wil Anderson and his actor mate Charlie Clausen prattle on about stuff, often involving Batman or time travel.

THE WEST WING WEEKLY - I loved the original series and this show reviews each episode, often getting the directors, actors, etc to give us insight into what went on.

WAIT, WAIT - DON'T TELL ME - An NPR news review comedy show. Obviously US-focused but very enjoyable.

SPACE ROCKET HISTORY - A surprisingly good podcast dealing with individual mission, spacecraft development, etc.

THE SPACE ABOVE US - Another surprisingly good podcast on the US manned space programme.

THE FIGHTER PILOT PODCAST - An ex-USN F/A-18 pilot takes us through various aspects of being an aviator: what you wear, what the weapons are, what the carrier landing signals mean, how they would intercept an aircraft, etc. Highly recommended.

SUPEREGO - PROFILES IN SELF-OBSESSION - How do I describe this? Incredibly funny (if you have a sense of humour like mine). They don't do the podcast anymore but the previous eps are available. My favourites are anything involving Cylon Jim and Cylon Phil. Especially if they are going to hit the karaoke bars.

Offline onebigmonkey

• Uranus
  • ALSJ Clown
    • Apollo Hoax Debunked
Re: Podcasts - What are you listening to?
« Reply #1 on: November 22, 2019, 03:36:12 PM »
I'm binging a lot on the 'True Crime' ones like 'Man in the Window' and 'My favourite murder'.

In between the trash I've got 'Tales from the rabbit hole', which is done by the guy behind Metabunk, 'Mad Scientist Podcast', 'Science Versus', 'Lizard People: Comedy and Conspiracy Theories', 'Bizarre States', 'Stuff you should know'.

For purely space stuff there's 'Space Rocket History', and if you want something delightfully British I can heartily recommend 'Something rhymes with purple', which is run by Giles Brandreth and Suzie Dent from words and numbers cult classic 'Countdown'.

I like listening to them while commuting on my bike - takes my mind off the crappy weather :)

Offline smartcooky

• Uranus
« Reply #2 on: November 23, 2019, 10:52:18 PM »
The Oath - Chuck Rosenburg

https://www.stitcher.com/podcast/msnbc/the-oath-with-chuck-rosenberg

If you are at all interested in US Politics, this is often a fascinating insight into what makes America tick
If you're not a scientist but you think you've destroyed the foundation of a vast scientific edifice with 10 minutes of Googling, you might want to consider the possibility that you're wrong.

Offline bknight

• Neptune
« Reply #3 on: December 02, 2019, 03:01:13 PM »

If you are at all interested in US Politics, this is often a fascinating insight into what makes America tick
Follow the money.
Truth needs no defense.  Nobody can take those footsteps I made on the surface of the moon away from me.
Eugene Cernan

Offline Nowhere Man

• Venus
« Reply #4 on: December 05, 2019, 07:12:39 PM »
The Escape Artists podcasts:  Pseudopod, Pod Castle, and (when I catch up) Escape Pod.  Horror, fantasy, and science-fiction stories on a weekly basis.

Science Friday, Wait Wait Don't Tell Me, and RadioLab.  Science and news from NPR.

Welcome to Night Vale, Good Morning Night Vale, and Within the Wires.  Dark/comic horror/fantasy presented as community radio, discussion of WTNV, and alternate future told through "found" cassette tapes.

Dark Histories.  Documentaries of strange but true historical happenings.

Decoder Ring Theatre.  Nostalgic-type humorous "radio" programs:  The Red Panda, Black Jack Justice, and others.  Red Panda is a Batman-style superhero in pre-war and WWII Toronto, Jack Justice is a post-war private eye.

Fred
Hey, you!  "It's" with an apostrophe means "it is" or "it has."  "Its" without an apostrophe means "belongs to it."

"For shame, gentlemen, pack your evidence a little better against another time."
-- John Dryden, "The Vindication of The Duke of Guise" 1684

Offline smartcooky

• Uranus
« Reply #5 on: December 05, 2019, 10:31:08 PM »

Follow the money.

Indeed, but its often a little more nuanced than that.

I found his interview with James Comey very interesting...

https://www.stitcher.com/podcast/msnbc-3/the-oath-with-chuck-rosenberg/e/60369799
If you're not a scientist but you think you've destroyed the foundation of a vast scientific edifice with 10 minutes of Googling, you might want to consider the possibility that you're wrong.