Author Topic: Apollo 16 photograph shows UFO?  (Read 16946 times)

Offline Allan F

• Saturn
Re: Apollo 16 photograph shows UFO?
« Reply #15 on: December 08, 2015, 06:50:53 PM »
The other astronaut. He's a bit fuzzy because the side registered in the camera is in direct sunlight. He took the photo, of course.
Well, it is like this: The truth doesn't need insults. Insults are the refuge of a darkened mind, a mind that refuses to open and see. Foul language can't outcompete knowledge. And knowledge is the result of education. Education is the result of the wish to know more, not less.

Offline bknight

• Neptune
« Reply #16 on: December 08, 2015, 07:00:06 PM »
The other astronaut. He's a bit fuzzy because the side registered in the camera is in direct sunlight. He took the photo, of course.
Not what I was looking at, almost directly above John's or Charlie's reflected shadow image. Two yellowish round shapes located at the same location as the surface.

OK I see what you are describing.

EDIT to better describe question

EDIT 2 to answer Allan
« Last Edit: December 08, 2015, 07:32:04 PM by bknight »
Truth needs no defense.  Nobody can take those footsteps I made on the surface of the moon away from me.
Eugene Cernan

Offline ka9q

• Neptune
« Reply #17 on: December 08, 2015, 11:01:50 PM »
You mean in Charlie's visor? That's the reflection of John Young, who was taking the picture.

Between John's reflection and the reflection of Charlie's shadow there's a bright patch of surface. It's bright because the camera sees it (via the reflection) at almost zero phase angle. This is called the opposition effect and it explains why the full moon is much more than twice as bright as a half moon. And a full moon is at its very brightest immediately before and after a lunar eclipse.

Simple rule for visor reflections: the image of the camera taking the picture always appears in the visor at the point on the visor closest to the camera.
« Last Edit: December 08, 2015, 11:05:33 PM by ka9q »

Offline bknight

• Neptune
« Reply #18 on: December 08, 2015, 11:35:11 PM »
You mean in Charlie's visor? That's the reflection of John Young, who was taking the picture.

Between John's reflection and the reflection of Charlie's shadow there's a bright patch of surface. It's bright because the camera sees it (via the reflection) at almost zero phase angle. This is called the opposition effect and it explains why the full moon is much more than twice as bright as a half moon. And a full moon is at its very brightest immediately before and after a lunar eclipse.

Simple rule for visor reflections: the image of the camera taking the picture always appears in the visor at the point on the visor closest to the camera.
Yes in Charlie's visor, when I first looked at it I couldn't figure out what it was, but Allan said it was John, and after relooking at it I can "see" a figure although fuzzy at best.
Truth needs no defense.  Nobody can take those footsteps I made on the surface of the moon away from me.
Eugene Cernan

Offline smartcooky

• Uranus
« Reply #19 on: December 09, 2015, 01:12:00 AM »
If you're not a scientist but you think you've destroyed the foundation of a vast scientific edifice with 10 minutes of Googling, you might want to consider the possibility that you're wrong.

Offline onebigmonkey

• Uranus
  • ALSJ Clown
    • Apollo Hoax Debunked
« Reply #20 on: December 09, 2015, 02:30:20 AM »
On a kind of related note, I posted this at Collectspace and it fits here. In AS12-49-4278

https://www.flickr.com/photos/projectapolloarchive/21683293425/in/album-72157656712716754/

You can see the reflection of Pete Conrad in Al Bean's visor.

In Pete Conradf's visor you can see Al Bean :D

(Apologies if this is too large - I'm posting from work and the image filter prevents me from using my hosting service!).

Offline bknight

• Neptune
« Reply #21 on: December 09, 2015, 07:11:03 AM »
I'll bet if the resolution was better you might see  the more reflected images within secondary images.Thanks
Eugene Cernan