Author Topic: How was Jack White's adjusting image parameters debunked?  (Read 8903 times)

Offline bknight

• Neptune
How was Jack White's adjusting image parameters debunked?
« on: December 27, 2016, 06:39:40 PM »
For all those photo analysts than I, which is pretty much most of you people.  How was Jack White's adjustments of image parameters debunked
Truth needs no defense.  Nobody can take those footsteps I made on the surface of the moon away from me.
Eugene Cernan

Offline Count Zero

• Mars
  • Pad 39A July 14,1969
Re: How was Jack White's adjusting image parameters debunked?
« Reply #1 on: December 27, 2016, 07:07:00 PM »
By rubbing two brain-cells together (a numerical advantage Jack sorely lacked).
"What makes one step a giant leap is all the steps before."

Offline bknight

• Neptune
« Reply #2 on: December 27, 2016, 08:33:33 PM »
For most of Jack's work, I can understand your logic, however when it involved adjusting, contrast, intensity, hue or any other parameter, I am at a loss.
Truth needs no defense.  Nobody can take those footsteps I made on the surface of the moon away from me.
Eugene Cernan

Offline HeadLikeARock

• Venus
« Reply #3 on: December 28, 2016, 08:24:04 AM »
For all those photo analysts than I, which is pretty much most of you people.  How was Jack White's adjustments of image parameters debunked

Jack White didn't know what he was doing with those adjustments, and was in no position to interpret the results.

All of the ones I saw he hadn't tweaked copies of scans of the film rolls but of later generation images. There's an obvious problem with doing that: many had already been touched up in order to look better on the printed page. For example, the sky might be deliberately blackened out (on the scans it can look like a lumpy green texture when you zoom in due to scanning artefacts). This may have been done using Photoshop in more recent years, or by using standard dark room techniques in the earlier years. Jack White then made the logical leap that this was evidence the photos themselves had been faked, refusing to even entertain the idea that it may have been caused by the processes I mentioned above.

One of the best ones was the "tweaking" he did of images of the Sun (actually it may have been Percy). He claimed it showed that the Sun was actually a huge light-bulb: what he was actually looking at was the glare, not the disc of the Sun itself. You could prove this quite easily by showing photos where the glare of the Sun partly occluded an object in the foreground, e.g. the LM, proving it could not have been a massive light-bulb. Such refutations generally went ignored.

Offline bknight

• Neptune
« Reply #4 on: December 28, 2016, 11:09:01 AM »
One of the best ones was the "tweaking" he did of images of the Sun (actually it may have been Percy). He claimed it showed that the Sun was actually a huge light-bulb: what he was actually looking at was the glare, not the disc of the Sun itself. You could prove this quite easily by showing photos where the glare of the Sun partly occluded an object in the foreground, e.g. the LM, proving it could not have been a massive light-bulb. Such refutations generally went ignored.
I seem to remember one like you describe, i.e. light bulb instead of the Sun, do you have an image where the glare is blocked by an object hand, instead of searching ALSJ?
Eugene Cernan

Offline smartcooky

• Uranus
« Reply #5 on: December 28, 2016, 01:05:42 PM »
All of the ones I saw he hadn't tweaked copies of scans of the film rolls but of later generation images. There's an obvious problem with doing that: many had already been touched up in order to look better on the printed page. For example, the sky might be deliberately blackened out (on the scans it can look like a lumpy green texture when you zoom in due to scanning artefacts). This may have been done using Photoshop in more recent years, or by using standard dark room techniques in the earlier years. Jack White then made the logical leap that this was evidence the photos themselves had been faked, refusing to even entertain the idea that it may have been caused by the processes I mentioned above.

I can testify to this from personal experience. I often have customers bringing in old B&W family photos to be scanned and either printed or saved onto disk or USB stick. However, sometimes they only bring in a copy of the old photo which was done on a Fuji Pictrostat or one of those awful Kodak Image Magic machines. The results from scanning those are always less than optimal. Lost of contrast is difficult to get back, overdone contrast is nigh on impossible to fix as detail lost on the deep blacks and bright whites has gone.
If you're not a scientist but you think you've destroyed the foundation of a vast scientific edifice with 10 minutes of Googling, you might want to consider the possibility that you're wrong.

Offline smartcooky

• Uranus
« Reply #6 on: December 28, 2016, 01:43:40 PM »
White's so-called expertise was called into question when his expertise was embarrassingly dismantled on the witness stand at the House Select Committee on Assassinations in 1976

http://mcadams.posc.mu.edu/russ/jfkinfo/hscawhte.htm
If you're not a scientist but you think you've destroyed the foundation of a vast scientific edifice with 10 minutes of Googling, you might want to consider the possibility that you're wrong.

Offline bknight

• Neptune
« Reply #7 on: December 28, 2016, 02:22:44 PM »
White's so-called expertise was called into question when his expertise was embarrassingly dismantled on the witness stand at the House Select Committee on Assassinations in 1976

I remember that but he didn't click with any Apollo hoax until much later 2001?
EDIT: Corrected spelling
« Last Edit: December 28, 2016, 02:48:23 PM by bknight »
Eugene Cernan

Offline bknight

• Neptune
« Reply #8 on: December 28, 2016, 03:05:59 PM »

At least he didn't state his work stands on its own merits( or words to that effect)
Eugene Cernan

Offline ineluki

• Earth
« Reply #9 on: December 29, 2016, 05:18:31 AM »
I remember that but he didn't click with any Apollo hoax until much later 2001?

Does it matter? An ordinary person might have learned something in the decades between, but Jack?

Offline bknight

• Neptune
« Reply #10 on: December 29, 2016, 11:05:41 AM »
Could any differences that Jack "developed" be explained by different image conversion compression differences?
Eugene Cernan

Offline frenat

• Mars
« Reply #11 on: December 29, 2016, 03:36:15 PM »
Could any differences that Jack "developed" be explained by different image conversion compression differences?
I'm sure many of them were but you would never have convinced him of that.
-Reality is not determined by your lack of comprehension.
 -Never let facts stand in the way of a good conspiracy theory.
 -There are no bad ideas, just great ideas that go horribly wrong.

Offline bknight

• Neptune
« Reply #12 on: December 30, 2016, 01:48:34 PM »
Here is one example that I have run onto.
From Gemini 9

http://tothemoon.ser.asu.edu/gallery/gemini/9#S66-38032_G09-S

From A12

https://www.hq.nasa.gov/alsj/a12/AS12-46-6739HR.jpg

The Sun is different when adjusting Brightness to Negative 60 and Contrast Plus 100.

I have a lot of issues with his(her) statement
What were the camera settings of each image.
What was the film type of each image.
What software and/or compression algorithms used for each image.
What printing settings used in printing and then transposing to digital.
Eugene Cernan

Offline Allan F

• Saturn
« Reply #13 on: December 30, 2016, 02:35:04 PM »
When you play with the contrast/brightness settings on such a photo, you will discover artefacts from the scanning process too. And compression artefacts from the JPG process. Basically, if you look closely, the picture does not relate to the original scene at
Well, it is like this: The truth doesn't need insults. Insults are the refuge of a darkened mind, a mind that refuses to open and see. Foul language can't outcompete knowledge. And knowledge is the result of education. Education is the result of the wish to know more, not less.

Offline bknight

• Neptune
« Reply #14 on: December 30, 2016, 04:37:47 PM »
I think the reference may be, ten distinct "rays" emanating from the Sun in the Gemini, and many very small faint "rays" emanating from the Apollo image.  I can't read his mind, so that reference may be my reading between the lines.
Eugene Cernan