Author Topic: Ugh, please tell me this is a joke...  (Read 3336 times)

Offline Peter B

• Saturn
Ugh, please tell me this is a joke...
« on: February 13, 2019, 08:35:41 AM »
https://au.yahoo.com/news/tv-host-says-hasnt-washed-hands-10-years-germs-arent-real-011455557.html

A Fox News presenter claimed he hasn’t washed his hands in a decade because “germs don’t exist”.

Pete Hegseth made the bizarre claim to the the Fox and Friends audience on Sunday morning with a justification of “I can’t see them, therefore they aren’t real”.

Gawd, would he believe they were real if he looked through a microscope, or are microscopes just part of some liberal conspiracy?

There's obviously something to the Australian rhyming slang for Americans: Septics (septic tank > yank).

Offline bknight

• Neptune
Re: Ugh, please tell me this is a joke...
« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2019, 09:56:37 AM »
Might be an antivaxxer also?
Truth needs no defense.  Nobody can take those footsteps I made on the surface of the moon away from me.
Eugene Cernan

Offline gillianren

• Uranus
    • My Letterboxd journal
« Reply #2 on: February 13, 2019, 11:50:13 AM »
Almost certainly an anti-vaxxer; the crossover between anti-vaccine hooey and a lack of belief in germ theory is of course enormous.

My political discussion group got very concerned about ever shaking this guy's hand, because particulate matter is a thing.  I actually speculated myself about what he does all the time, since I routinely wash my hands not out of a fear of germs per se but because I have something I don't want on my hands.  I bake, for example, and very seldom can you do that without getting dough on your hands.
"This sounds like a job for Bipolar Bear . . . but I just can't seem to get out of bed!"

"Conspiracy theories are an irresistible labour-saving device in the face of complexity."  --Henry Louis Gates

Offline Echnaton

• Saturn
« Reply #3 on: February 13, 2019, 07:33:44 PM »
Apparently it is a dirty joke.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/money/2019/02/11/fox-news-host-pete-hegseth-wash-hands-10-years/2835616002/

Hegseth says the joke is a call-out to germ obsessors to lighten up. "My half-hearted commentary to the point is, we live in a society where people walk around with bottles of Purell in their pockets, and they sanitize 19,000 times a day as if that’s going to save their life," he said. "I take care of myself and all that, but I don’t obsess over everything all the time."

I'm prone to saying weird things with a straight face too. But it is kind of strange to see people on TV be so gross. 
The sun shone, having no alternative, on the nothing new. —Samuel Beckett

Offline gillianren

• Uranus
    • My Letterboxd journal
« Reply #4 on: February 14, 2019, 11:34:43 AM »
Frankly, I wouldn't be surprised if he was lying now.
"This sounds like a job for Bipolar Bear . . . but I just can't seem to get out of bed!"

"Conspiracy theories are an irresistible labour-saving device in the face of complexity."  --Henry Louis Gates

Offline Von_Smith

• Venus
« Reply #5 on: April 04, 2019, 07:14:12 PM »
https://au.yahoo.com/news/tv-host-says-hasnt-washed-hands-10-years-germs-arent-real-011455557.html

A Fox News presenter claimed he hasn’t washed his hands in a decade because “germs don’t exist”.

Pete Hegseth made the bizarre claim to the the Fox and Friends audience on Sunday morning with a justification of “I can’t see them, therefore they aren’t real”.

Gawd, would he believe they were real if he looked through a microscope, or are microscopes just part of some liberal conspiracy?

There's obviously something to the Australian rhyming slang for Americans: Septics (septic tank > yank).

So what you're saying is he doesn't wash his hands because doing so would be antiseptic.

Offline Bop

• Mercury
« Reply #6 on: April 26, 2019, 01:09:33 PM »

So what you're saying is he doesn't wash his hands because doing so would be antiseptic.
Groans- don't give up your day job...

(waves hi to PeterB, long time no see, Boppa from SSSF)

Offline Peter B

• Saturn
« Reply #7 on: May 04, 2019, 10:01:16 AM »

Groans- don't give up your day job...

(waves hi to PeterB, long time no see, Boppa from SSSF)

*waves back*

G'day! Long time no hear.

Everyone, say hello to one of the other denizens of Dr Karl's Self Service Science Forums, one of the more fun science forums (and with a distinctly Aussie feel), while it lasted.