Author Topic: HBs, CTs, Deniers, Alien Apologists...  (Read 64364 times)

Offline nomuse

• Jupiter
Re: HBs, CTs, Deniers, Alien Apologists...
« Reply #75 on: September 03, 2015, 01:52:36 AM »
Or, as Heinlein put it, "A human being should be able to change a diaper, plan an invasion, butcher a hog, conn a ship, design a building, write a sonnet, balance accounts, build a wall, set a bone, comfort the dying, take orders, give orders, cooperate, act alone, solve equations, analyze a new problem, pitch manure, program a computer, cook a tasty meal, fight efficiently, die gallantly. Specialization is for insects."

Surely that must be one of the silliest things Heinlein ever said.

I'd say declaring that "anyone who doesn't know calculus is subhuman" is worse. But the well is almost certainly deeper than that.

Offline gillianren

• Uranus
    • My Letterboxd journal
« Reply #76 on: September 03, 2015, 02:16:15 AM »
"Gosh, Gillian, why don't you read Heinlein?" 

Actually, I did once.  I read Starship Troopers and liked the unabashed silliness of the movie better.
"This sounds like a job for Bipolar Bear . . . but I just can't seem to get out of bed!"

"Conspiracy theories are an irresistible labour-saving device in the face of complexity."  --Henry Louis Gates

Offline raven

• Uranus
« Reply #77 on: September 03, 2015, 02:44:50 AM »
He did write some good stuff. I liked 'Tunnel in the Sky', for example.

Offline ka9q

• Neptune
« Reply #78 on: September 03, 2015, 03:03:07 AM »
My favorite Heinlein short story is "The Roads Must Roll". Why? Because his job as a science fiction author was to preview the future, and he missed something really big.

The "roads" are a huge solar-powered network of conveyor belts that have replaced all car, truck and train traffic in the US. Restaurants (among other businesses) are built on the roads so you can eat while you travel.

So far so good.

The main character is the chief engineer of the roads. How important was he? So important that whenever he ate on the road, the waitress always brought a phone over to his table and plugged it in just in case his office wanted to call him.

Offline Obviousman

• Jupiter
« Reply #79 on: September 03, 2015, 03:09:36 AM »
Being military myself, I thought that the book 'Starship Troopers' was great but thought that whilst the movie was basically true to the book, it completely corrupted the message.

Offline Peter B

• Saturn
« Reply #80 on: September 03, 2015, 04:41:47 AM »
Being military myself, I thought that the book 'Starship Troopers' was great but thought that whilst the movie was basically true to the book, it completely corrupted the message.

I'm pretty sure that was the Director's intent.

I enjoy my military science fiction too, but found his politics poorly worked out. Heinlein may have thought he'd come up with a very good way for a society to work, but personally I think there are serious problems with his premises and conclusions.
Ecosia - the greenest way to search. You find what you need, Ecosia plants trees where they're needed. www.ecosia.org

Offline Dalhousie

• Jupiter
« Reply #81 on: September 03, 2015, 04:50:31 AM »
Or, as Heinlein put it, "A human being should be able to change a diaper, plan an invasion, butcher a hog, conn a ship, design a building, write a sonnet, balance accounts, build a wall, set a bone, comfort the dying, take orders, give orders, cooperate, act alone, solve equations, analyze a new problem, pitch manure, program a computer, cook a tasty meal, fight efficiently, die gallantly. Specialization is for insects."

Surely that must be one of the silliest things Heinlein ever said.

I'd say declaring that "anyone who doesn't know calculus is subhuman" is worse. But the well is almost certainly deeper than that.

I'd forgotten that one....

Offline bknight

• Neptune
« Reply #82 on: September 03, 2015, 08:16:30 AM »
"Gosh, Gillian, why don't you read Heinlein?" 

Actually, I did once.  I read Starship Troopers and liked the unabashed silliness of the movie better.
I like this movie also, but only the first one, the sequels were not as silly as the first.  Maybe the new concept wore off on me.
Truth needs no defense.  Nobody can take those footsteps I made on the surface of the moon away from me.
Eugene Cernan

Offline bknight

• Neptune
« Reply #83 on: September 03, 2015, 08:18:46 AM »
I didn't read the book so I'll ask a question, what is/was the message of the book?
Truth needs no defense.  Nobody can take those footsteps I made on the surface of the moon away from me.
Eugene Cernan

Offline Andromeda

• Jupiter
« Reply #84 on: September 03, 2015, 08:59:59 AM »
I liked Between Planets.
"The most exciting phrase to hear in science, the one that heralds new discoveries, is not 'Eureka!' but 'That's funny...'" - Isaac Asimov.

Offline gillianren

• Uranus
    • My Letterboxd journal
« Reply #85 on: September 03, 2015, 01:34:10 PM »
I like this movie also, but only the first one, the sequels were not as silly as the first.  Maybe the new concept wore off on me.

Oh, I didn't bother with the sequels.  For one thing, no Neil Patrick Harris.
"This sounds like a job for Bipolar Bear . . . but I just can't seem to get out of bed!"

"Conspiracy theories are an irresistible labour-saving device in the face of complexity."  --Henry Louis Gates

Offline bknight

• Neptune
« Reply #86 on: September 03, 2015, 01:39:40 PM »

Oh, I didn't bother with the sequels.  For one thing, no Neil Patrick Harris.
I really judge movies on the story not the actors.  I really like many of the SciFi B movies from the 50's many with actors(actresses) many of whom really didn't obtain mega star status. :)
Eugene Cernan

Offline gillianren

• Uranus
    • My Letterboxd journal
« Reply #87 on: September 03, 2015, 04:58:36 PM »
I thought Neil Patrick Harris was one of the best parts of the first one.  With that part removed, I was sure the quality would be reduced.  I assure you, I have undoubtedly seen more movies starring people no one here has ever heard of than anyone else here.  Are you familiar with my Great Library Project?

http://www.the-solute.com/i-havent-seen-it-because-it-begins-with-t/

Offline bknight

• Neptune
« Reply #88 on: September 03, 2015, 05:30:45 PM »
I thought Neil Patrick Harris was one of the best parts of the first one.  With that part removed, I was sure the quality would be reduced.  I assure you, I have undoubtedly seen more movies starring people no one here has ever heard of than anyone else here.  Are you familiar with my Great Library Project?

Determined, gritty, on task and tenacious is all I can think of at the moment.  Go girl go. :)
Eugene Cernan

Offline Abaddon

• Saturn
« Reply #89 on: September 03, 2015, 06:41:10 PM »

Myself and my siblings quite enjoyed the humour in it. Would you like to know more?