Author Topic: The Trump Presidency  (Read 399656 times)

Offline gillianren

• Uranus
    • My Letterboxd journal
Re: The Trump Presidency
« Reply #885 on: April 02, 2020, 11:42:00 AM »
Worse than hoarding?  Like, you know, sending tons of gear to China just as the crisis was gearing up here?  Like he did?
"This sounds like a job for Bipolar Bear . . . but I just can't seem to get out of bed!"

"Conspiracy theories are an irresistible labour-saving device in the face of complexity."  --Henry Louis Gates

Offline LunarOrbit

• Administrator
  • Saturn
    • ApolloHoax.net
« Reply #886 on: April 02, 2020, 11:59:12 AM »
President Donald Trump on Sunday suggested that nurses and doctors in New York, the area in the U.S. hardest-hit thus far by the coronavirus outbreak, are stealing and selling facemasks and other protective gear meant to keep them safe as they handle an unprecedented influx of patients sick with the disease spreading across the country.

"Where are the masks going, are they going out the backdoor?" Trump said, implying that healthcare workers were smuggling personal proteective equipment (PPE) out of hospitals for resale on the black market.

"There's something going on. I don't think it's hoarding. I think it's maybe worse than hoarding," the president added, telling the assembled reporters to look into it.

Really? He is mentally unstable, surely?

I watched a video the other day of someone going around New York to show how deserted the streets and public spaces have become. And at one point he shows some guy selling face masks on a street corner for $1. Now, I am in no way saying that doctors or nurses provided the masks to that guy (that would be ridiculous), but it is suspicious that he had so many. Did they fall off the back of a truck?

Go to 2:14
It suddenly struck me that that tiny pea, pretty and blue, was the Earth.
I put up my thumb and shut one eye, and my thumb blotted out the planet Earth.
I didn't feel like a giant. I felt very, very small.
- Neil Armstrong (1930-2012)

Offline AtomicDog

• Mars
« Reply #887 on: April 02, 2020, 04:52:14 PM »
President Donald Trump on Sunday suggested that nurses and doctors in New York, the area in the U.S. hardest-hit thus far by the coronavirus outbreak, are stealing and selling facemasks and other protective gear meant to keep them safe as they handle an unprecedented influx of patients sick with the disease spreading across the country.

"Where are the masks going, are they going out the backdoor?" Trump said, implying that healthcare workers were smuggling personal proteective equipment (PPE) out of hospitals for resale on the black market.

"There's something going on. I don't think it's hoarding. I think it's maybe worse than hoarding," the president added, telling the assembled reporters to look into it.

Really? He is mentally unstable, surely?

I watched a video the other day of someone going around New York to show how deserted the streets and public spaces have become. And at one point he shows some guy selling face masks on a street corner for $1. Now, I am in no way saying that doctors or nurses provided the masks to that guy (that would be ridiculous), but it is suspicious that he had so many. Did they fall off the back of a truck?

Go to 2:14

Down here in Atlanta last night, a medical office was broken into. The only things stolen were masks and PPE.
"There is no belief, however foolish, that will not gather its faithful adherents who will defend it to the death." - Isaac Asimov

Offline Peter B

• Saturn
« Reply #888 on: April 03, 2020, 05:51:15 AM »
Here's an interesting article on how Trump could (technically but legally) steal the next election:

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2020-04-01/coronavirus-can-donald-trump-cancel-the-us-2020-election/12105346

Offline LunarOrbit

• Administrator
  • Saturn
    • ApolloHoax.net
« Reply #889 on: April 03, 2020, 10:44:01 AM »
I'm not a religious person, but I hope Donald Trump burns in hell for eternity. With friends like him, who needs enemies?

3M says Trump administration has ordered end to respirator exports to Canada
It suddenly struck me that that tiny pea, pretty and blue, was the Earth.
I put up my thumb and shut one eye, and my thumb blotted out the planet Earth.
I didn't feel like a giant. I felt very, very small.
- Neil Armstrong (1930-2012)

Offline grmcdorman

• Earth
« Reply #890 on: April 03, 2020, 12:00:07 PM »
That's the end result of his "America First" policy. 3M is objecting, pointing out that doing this may lead to retaliations (of course). Not that that's likely to move Trump, diplomacy for him is a club with rusty nails.

Not the only current issue in US/Canada relations either, the US border service is taking a different (and more relaxed) view of the border shutdown (specifically, that it only applies to vehicular/ground traffic; air and sea are OK). Canada views it as applying to everything, which to me makes sense.

Offline gillianren

• Uranus
    • My Letterboxd journal
« Reply #891 on: April 04, 2020, 11:25:55 AM »
He literally does not understand the concept of compromise and sharing.  To him, there are winners and there are losers, and if you're going to win, someone else has to lose.
"This sounds like a job for Bipolar Bear . . . but I just can't seem to get out of bed!"

"Conspiracy theories are an irresistible labour-saving device in the face of complexity."  --Henry Louis Gates

Offline Zakalwe

• Uranus
« Reply #892 on: April 04, 2020, 12:39:58 PM »
He literally does not understand the concept of compromise and sharing.  To him, there are winners and there are losers, and if you're going to win, someone else has to lose.

Everything is a zero-sum game to this moron.
The real danger is the smarter people who are enabling him. Look at Kushner...a real estate magnate who's suddenly being trust into (and, I might add, utterly failing) all sorts of areas where he has no knowledge or perceived ability. He is smarter than Trump (to be fair, a half-eaten bowl of porridge meets that low criteria) but just as devious. Can you imagine him in the WH?

https://www.huffingtonpost.co.uk/entry/national-stockpile-website-kushner_n_5e876dbfc5b609ebfff09faf?ri18n=true&guccounter=1&guce_referrer=aHR0cHM6Ly9jb25zZW50LnlhaG9vLmNvbS9jb2xsZWN0Q29uc2VudD9zZXNzaW9uSWQ9M19jYy1zZXNzaW9uX2Y0ZWNmZWE5LTU1NTktNGMyNS04YTdhLTZjZGY3YjA2ZTU5OSZsYW5nPWVuLXVzJmlubGluZT1mYWxzZQ&guce_referrer_sig=AQAAAFEC0iCLcqiOfyjo9aJXOQGunDWRpAVXf_DhTZIl8gIckcNMtHLouIipLvC130xJVPOwMfCIZvsDrfqYkJdxzr47A6A_4NDNIM8RFVPx89qmIMN_VPZruJiGvttKp3GUa0p_fGiQP7OqkY740eWDf33b0GPsatMvHE3QUjTThaVl
"The strain of anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' " - Isaac Asimov

Offline Bryanpoprobson

• Jupiter
  • Another Clown
« Reply #893 on: April 04, 2020, 05:23:39 PM »
My family and I saw  this idiot who does president impressions, my wife, who is totally non political, watched with a dropped jaw as he made his comments about wearing masks. Or not as he emphasised.
I would like to know what presidents, kings and queens, dictators et al, will be having state visits to the White House in the near future?

The man is a joke.
"Wise men speak because they have something to say!" "Fools speak, because they have to say something!" (Plato)

Offline LionKing

• Mars
« Reply #894 on: April 15, 2020, 11:23:58 AM »
Could it get worse?
Yes, here you go

https://www.aljazeera.com/news/2020/04/world-reacts-trump-withdrawing-funding-200415061612025.html

How does cutting the funds help in curbing the disease? How does punishment instead of dialogue and correction make the situation any good? Could it be that the economy is loosing and he wants to put the money "inside America" solely and he is taking advantage of the situation?
“When you go through a hard period,
When everything seems to oppose you,
... When you feel you cannot even bear one more minute,
NEVER GIVE UP!
Because it is the time and place that the course will divert!”
 Rumi

Offline molesworth

• Mars
  • the curse of st custards
« Reply #895 on: April 15, 2020, 12:32:27 PM »
Could it get worse?
Yes, here you go

https://www.aljazeera.com/news/2020/04/world-reacts-trump-withdrawing-funding-200415061612025.html

How does cutting the funds help in curbing the disease? How does punishment instead of dialogue and correction make the situation any good? Could it be that the economy is loosing and he wants to put the money "inside America" solely and he is taking advantage of the situation?
The savings by cutting the funding are pretty insignificant compared to the US deficit and the current spending on dealing with the crisis.  I think his only motivation is to find someone to blame, and hope he can convince enough people to get re-elected.

His daily briefings are now basically just campaign rallies, playing to his audience.
Days spent at sea are not deducted from one's allotted span - Phoenician proverb

Offline JayUtah

• Neptune
    • Clavius
« Reply #896 on: April 15, 2020, 01:34:00 PM »
The U.S. contribution to the WHO amounts to approximately 15% of the organization's annual budget, according to CNN.  The claims I see in the right-wing circles are that WHO has little or no actual effect on world health.  Hence if the President believes this, then cutting its funding will have little actual detrimental effect on the global health crisis, since it would be consistent with that viewpoint to argue that any actual global effect is being accomplished by some means not affected by the funding.  However, effectively cutting its budget by 15% may compel the WHO to take steps that give credibility to the conspiracy the President has offered, that the U.S. response to COVID-19 was delayed by WHO mismanagement.  They may, for example, promise to investigate such a "delay" in return for immediate restoration of funding.
"Facts are stubborn things." --John Adams

Offline LionKing

• Mars
« Reply #897 on: April 15, 2020, 03:45:53 PM »
I see.. thanks for the explanations..let us hope he will never be elected again
“When you go through a hard period,
When everything seems to oppose you,
... When you feel you cannot even bear one more minute,
NEVER GIVE UP!
Because it is the time and place that the course will divert!”
 Rumi

Offline Von_Smith

• Venus
« Reply #898 on: April 16, 2020, 12:10:08 AM »

The savings by cutting the funding are pretty insignificant compared to the US deficit and the current spending on dealing with the crisis.

Sure, but think of all the hydroxychloroquine we'll be able to buy with that money.   ???

I think his only motivation is to find someone to blame, and hope he can convince enough people to get re-elected.

His daily briefings are now basically just campaign rallies, playing to his audience.

I continue to be both baffled and terrified that there is actually an audience for his performances at these briefings.

Offline Obviousman

• Jupiter
« Reply #899 on: April 16, 2020, 01:28:37 AM »
I continue to be both baffled and terrified that there is actually an audience for his performances at these briefings.

It is actually frightening: he behaves how he does and a significant number of people think it is good?