Author Topic: The Trump Presidency  (Read 399711 times)

Offline MBDK

• Earth
  • BANNED
Re: The Trump Presidency
« Reply #750 on: February 10, 2020, 03:32:30 PM »
And at what point is it appropriate to let emotion take a part in this when...
When you can do so without resorting to half-truths and unsupported claims (not saying YOU have, just everyone in general, myself included).  Definitely do not allow yourself to rage to the point where even the most basic of things become distorted, as smartcooky has unfortunately done in his last couple of posts (as noted in my last couple of posts).
"It ain't what they call you, it's what you answer to." - W. C. Fields

"Laugh-a while you can, monkey-boy." - Lord John Whorfin

Offline smartcooky

• Uranus
« Reply #751 on: February 10, 2020, 04:01:41 PM »
"The Trump property nightly rate of $136 was less expensive than the $161 charged by a nearby Marriott property. Both of those rates were below the per diem rate of $166."

Just to bring some facts back into the debate

The map is about 7km edge to edge

If you're not a scientist but you think you've destroyed the foundation of a vast scientific edifice with 10 minutes of Googling, you might want to consider the possibility that you're wrong.

Offline jfb

• Mars
« Reply #752 on: February 10, 2020, 04:07:06 PM »
So, once again, I re-iterate that I am not here to defend Trump, but to point our the very human trait that all people, including the posters here, are subject to - which is that we can let emotions and other factors interfere with our critical thinking process(es), just as CTs do.  And as such, we should all remind ourselves to be vigilant over ourselves to minimize such behavior(s).

Such as, for example, suggesting that Trump's accquittal in an impeachment trial where he blocked evidence and witnesses shows him to not be above the law? I repeat my earlier question: If he, as the indictee, gets to decide (or indeed have any say at all) what evidence is seen and what witnesses testify, how is that not abusing his power and being above the law? Who else gets to decide how their own trial goes in that way?

He doesn't.

The problem is that all but four Senate Republicans put loyalty to (or probably more likely, fear of) party ahead of loyalty to country.  The Senate majority did not even pretend to act as an impartial arbiter - Senate leadership explicitly said they would be coordinating with the White House defense.  That wasn't Trump's doing, that was McConnell's doing. 

The President cannot determine what witnesses the Senate may or may not call, or what evidence they may or may not see, except by claiming executive privilege or national security or whatever and jamming it up in the courts.   Congress doesn't legally answer to the President, and they don't have to do a goddamned thing he says (within the limits of the Constitution, anyway).  McConnell and the majority of Senate Republicans chose to let him dictate what evidence would or wouldn't be heard.  They're in on the con.  The Senate is just fine with everything Trump has done so far, including inviting a geopolitical adversary to interfere in domestic elections, because those Senators personally benefit from it.  The corruption isn't limited to the White House. 

Once again, some more, with feeling - Trump isn't the problem.  Trump is only a symptom of the problem.  The problem runs much deeper, and is much worse than most people realize.

Screw the White House, we need to keep the House and win the Senate, and by yooge numbers.  It doesn't matter if Trump is still President if Congress is willing to stand up to him. 

Offline smartcooky

• Uranus
« Reply #753 on: February 10, 2020, 04:12:02 PM »
When did I do that?  I certainly didn't do it in my last reply to you.  YOU, on the other hand, have ignored my actual question and continued your diatribe to crucify Trump.
You misrepresented facts. You posted a link to support your claim that two other presidents abused their office. Those are false claims.
Wrong.  I NEVER made that claim, and expressly pointed out where you are 100& in error on YOUR above quoted claim.

Yes, you DID make that claim. You are simply pretending that you didn't...

My statement was: "No-one on the left is using the power of their office to stuff their own bank accounts"

Your reply was
Hillary is too obvious, but do you REALLY stand by such outlandish claims? 
Before you answer, you may just want to chew on THIS for a while (in regards to the $$$)
https://www.snopes.com/fact-check/net-worths-of-presidents/

That is a de-facto claim, in response to my statement, that other president have abused their office.

Your claim fails on its face, from the very link you posted in support of it

Until you can accept this undeniable and obviously provable FACT, and withdrawn your blatantly false statement, I refuse to have further discourse with such a hate-blinded person.

Conspiracy Theorist behavior 101 - get the hump when you get caught making a false claim, and then run away. Sooooo predictable!

See ya!
« Last Edit: February 10, 2020, 04:14:16 PM by smartcooky »
If you're not a scientist but you think you've destroyed the foundation of a vast scientific edifice with 10 minutes of Googling, you might want to consider the possibility that you're wrong.

Offline MBDK

• Earth
  • BANNED
« Reply #754 on: February 11, 2020, 03:09:02 AM »
Never mind the idiotic click-bait title, (Nancy isn't even really mentioned).  To anyone that truly cares, here is what I think points out major problems with the Democratic party's policies when it comes to dealing with the black community, and also why Trump got more of their votes than predicted. 

https://www.kusi.com/republican-party-of-san-diego-county-hosts-record-breaking-gathering/

Anybody (though I won't reply to smartcooky, until he acknowledges his false accusation where he claimed I misrepresented facts) care to critique it?

Note:  Edited to remove inappropriate remark.
« Last Edit: February 11, 2020, 03:20:18 AM by MBDK »

Offline smartcooky

• Uranus
« Reply #755 on: February 11, 2020, 04:52:35 AM »
.....I won't reply to smartcooky, until he acknowledges his false accusation where he claimed I misrepresented facts?

What a childish fit of pique!

Do you also stamp your feet and wail when you don't get what you want?
« Last Edit: February 11, 2020, 04:55:32 AM by smartcooky »

Offline gillianren

• Uranus
    • My Letterboxd journal
« Reply #756 on: February 11, 2020, 10:59:51 AM »
I see absolutely nothing of substance in that link, and the use of "Democrat" instead of "Democratic" is a Republican dogwhistle.
"This sounds like a job for Bipolar Bear . . . but I just can't seem to get out of bed!"

"Conspiracy theories are an irresistible labour-saving device in the face of complexity."  --Henry Louis Gates

Offline LunarOrbit

• Administrator
  • Saturn
    • ApolloHoax.net
« Reply #757 on: February 11, 2020, 11:39:32 AM »

...the use of "Democrat" instead of "Democratic" is a Republican dogwhistle.

Please clarify this for me. How do you refer to individual members of the Democratic Party?

Ie.
"Ronald Reagan was a Republican."
"John F. Kennedy was a __________."

Sent from my SM-G975W using Tapatalk

It suddenly struck me that that tiny pea, pretty and blue, was the Earth.
I put up my thumb and shut one eye, and my thumb blotted out the planet Earth.
I didn't feel like a giant. I felt very, very small.
- Neil Armstrong (1930-2012)

Offline MBDK

• Earth
  • BANNED
« Reply #758 on: February 11, 2020, 12:28:09 PM »
I wish to retract my last post (reply No. 754), as I realize it is off-topic.

Offline gillianren

• Uranus
    • My Letterboxd journal
« Reply #759 on: February 12, 2020, 10:35:21 AM »

Please clarify this for me. How do you refer to individual members of the Democratic Party?

Ie.

Sent from my SM-G975W using Tapatalk

In that case, "Democrat" is acceptable.  However, "the Democrat Party" is a Republican usage.
"This sounds like a job for Bipolar Bear . . . but I just can't seem to get out of bed!"

"Conspiracy theories are an irresistible labour-saving device in the face of complexity."  --Henry Louis Gates

Offline LunarOrbit

• Administrator
  • Saturn
    • ApolloHoax.net
« Reply #760 on: February 12, 2020, 11:05:45 AM »

Ie.

In that case, "Democrat" is acceptable.  However, "the Democrat Party" is a Republican usage.

Ok, thanks, that makes more sense.

Offline jfb

• Mars
« Reply #761 on: February 12, 2020, 12:12:15 PM »
The name of the party is "The Democratic Party".  A member of the Democratic Party is a Democrat, but when using the party name as a descriptor or adjective for a bill or policy or officeholder, it's always "Democratic".

This has been the usage since the 1840s.  FOX News and other conservative outlets deliberately use "Democrat" instead of "Democratic" because it's mildly triggering in the same way confusing "loose" and "lose" is mildly triggering. 
« Last Edit: February 12, 2020, 01:22:50 PM by jfb »

Offline LunarOrbit

• Administrator
  • Saturn
    • ApolloHoax.net
« Reply #762 on: February 12, 2020, 01:35:40 PM »
This has been the usage since the 1840s.  FOX News and other conservative outlets deliberately use "Democrat" instead of "Democratic" because it's mildly triggering in the same way confusing "loose" and "lose" is mildly triggering. 

So it's sort of like how calling a Canadian an "American" is mildly triggering to us even though it's technically true because we're from one of the American continents. Got it.

Offline gillianren

• Uranus
    • My Letterboxd journal
« Reply #763 on: February 13, 2020, 10:58:49 AM »
I'd note that merely saying that the Democratic Party is "the plantation" is also a deliberate dogwhistle on the part of a party that is primarily responsible for keeping laws in place that are bad for minorities, claiming that the only reason to vote for the Democrats is that you've been told do so.  Despite things like a President who still believes five young men are responsible for a high-profile crime for no reason I can see beyond the colour of their skin.

Offline smartcooky

• Uranus
« Reply #764 on: February 13, 2020, 06:54:42 PM »
I'd note that merely saying that the Democratic Party is "the plantation" is also a deliberate dogwhistle on the part of a party that is primarily responsible for keeping laws in place that are bad for minorities, claiming that the only reason to vote for the Democrats is that you've been told do so.  Despite things like a President who still believes five young men are responsible for a high-profile crime (despite the fact that the DNA evidence completely exculpates them) for no reason I can see beyond the colour of their skin.

I added the bit in red for further context.

Remember that Trump is an obvious malignant narcissist, and malignant narcissists don't ever admit they were wrong, even in the face of 100% conclusive evidence.