Author Topic: Why I suspect Apollo was a hoax.  (Read 470153 times)

Offline bknight

• Neptune
Re: Why I suspect Apollo was a hoax.
« Reply #1425 on: February 12, 2016, 09:21:22 PM »
This place makes GLP seem like it's populated by geniuses.

http://www.theflatearthsociety.org/forum/index.php?board=20.0

Phil

At this point in time, everything is out of stock.

You do realise that the site is actually a Poe?

The people who started it were on the wind up; they created a one-stop-shop where flat earthers could make public fools of themselves, while the site owners cashed in on sales of coffee cups, T-Shirts and other accessories to the delusional  disciples.
Truth needs no defense.  Nobody can take those footsteps I made on the surface of the moon away from me.
Eugene Cernan

Offline smartcooky

• Uranus
« Reply #1426 on: February 12, 2016, 11:44:54 PM »

Phil

The people who started it were on the wind up; they created a one-stop-shop where flat earthers could make public fools of themselves, while the site owners cashed in on sales of coffee cups, T-Shirts and other accessories to the delusional  disciples.
At this point in time, everything is out of stock.

Well, there is certainly a lack of brains and common-sense at that site....however, stupid is in plentiful supply!
If you're not a scientist but you think you've destroyed the foundation of a vast scientific edifice with 10 minutes of Googling, you might want to consider the possibility that you're wrong.

Offline Sus_pilot

• Mars
« Reply #1427 on: February 13, 2016, 01:16:06 AM »

Phil

2 minutes in the chemtrail section was enough!  It's like being curious about that seedy little bar in the unincorporated part of town...

Offline onebigmonkey

• Uranus
  • ALSJ Clown
    • Apollo Hoax Debunked
« Reply #1428 on: February 13, 2016, 01:32:48 AM »
I think a lot of the so-called flat-earthers don't actually believe it but pursue the idea as a kind of pseudo-intellectual exercise to prove how clever they are and how poor they believe conventional science is. It's a way of proving not so much that the earth is flat but that it revolves around them, which is where tradosaurus came in.

Offline Bryanpoprobson

• Jupiter
  • Another Clown
« Reply #1429 on: February 13, 2016, 02:10:25 AM »

Phil

2 minutes in the chemtrail section was enough!  It's like being curious about that seedy little bar in the unincorporated part of town...

Followed the rockets don't work in a vacuum thread for a few pages. I need to go and lay down for a couple of hours, my head hurts.

A couple of people on that thread mentioned the experiment of sitting on a wheeled chair and throwing a ball.
A modification of that experiment can PROVE that the air has nothing to do with the propulsive force. If you have two objects, A heavy medicine ball and an equally sized balloon and throw each in turn from the chair. IF pushing against air is what is causing the reaction, then objects of the same volume will cause the chair to move the same distance. BUT if mass is the prime agent, then you will move further throwing the medicine ball. A simple experiment for the doubters.
"Wise men speak because they have something to say!" "Fools speak, because they have to say something!" (Plato)

Offline smartcooky

• Uranus
« Reply #1430 on: February 13, 2016, 04:02:01 AM »
Mythbusters have proved that rockets work in a vacuum, by actually firing one in a home made vacuum chamber...

... of course, none of this will convince the membership of  The Stupidati, who will declare the experiment fake and the Mythbusters paid NASA shills
If you're not a scientist but you think you've destroyed the foundation of a vast scientific edifice with 10 minutes of Googling, you might want to consider the possibility that you're wrong.

Offline bknight

• Neptune
« Reply #1431 on: February 13, 2016, 08:00:17 AM »

Phil

All the items for sale are out of stock, not very businesslike.
Truth needs no defense.  Nobody can take those footsteps I made on the surface of the moon away from me.
Eugene Cernan

Offline bknight

• Neptune
« Reply #1432 on: February 13, 2016, 08:06:01 AM »

Phil

Followed the rockets don't work in a vacuum thread for a few pages. I need to go and lay down for a couple of hours, my head hurts.

A couple of people on that thread mentioned the experiment of sitting on a wheeled chair and throwing a ball.
A modification of that experiment can PROVE that the air has nothing to do with the propulsive force. If you have two objects, A heavy medicine ball and an equally sized balloon and throw each in turn from the chair. IF pushing against air is what is causing the reaction, then objects of the same volume will cause the chair to move the same distance. BUT if mass is the prime agent, then you will move further throwing the medicine ball. A simple experiment for the doubters.
I haven't been to the site to read through that thread, but I have seen a YT where some guy "proved" that rockets don't work in space.  The same tired "logic", nothing to push against.  His head might be full of hot air with no science remembering or learning.
Eugene Cernan

Offline bknight

• Neptune
« Reply #1433 on: February 13, 2016, 08:22:19 AM »
Mythbusters have proved that rockets work in a vacuum, by actually firing one in a home made vacuum chamber...

... of course, none of this will convince the membership of  The Stupidati, who will declare the experiment fake and the Mythbusters paid NASA shills
I have never thought of bottle rockets containing an oxidizer.
Eugene Cernan

Offline frenat

• Mars
« Reply #1434 on: February 13, 2016, 09:16:17 AM »

Phil

Did you post there?  What was your username?
-Reality is not determined by your lack of comprehension.
 -Never let facts stand in the way of a good conspiracy theory.
 -There are no bad ideas, just great ideas that go horribly wrong.

Offline Philthy

• Venus
« Reply #1435 on: February 13, 2016, 02:11:55 PM »

Phil

Did you post there?  What was your username?

The ONLY reason I subscribed there is to so I could see the new posts.

No, I don't post on sites like that anymore, it's a waste of time. I've learned that you can't educate the willfully ignorant. It gets old very quickly if the only responses are insults and stupidity. If, a very big if, someone genuinely wanted to learn something, and I knew the answer, or at least part of the answer, I'd post.

I did PM 2 members there mikeman and raznor, I think. Mikeman came here briefly, I told him about this board.

I have seen some of your posts there though. If I were to post there, my username is, oddly enough, Phil.

Phil
« Last Edit: February 13, 2016, 02:14:27 PM by Philthy »
The capacity of conspiracy theorists to deny science and hand-wave away evidence is infinite, as is their level of stupid. -- Smartcooky

Offline ka9q

• Neptune
« Reply #1436 on: February 13, 2016, 05:45:44 PM »
The nutjobs are very familiar with that clip, and of course they have plenty of excuses:

The chamber wasn't completely evacuated. (How much air is enough?)
The Mythbusters didn't show the vacuum gauge. (Actually, they did.)
The chamber wasn't a vacuum after the rocket ignited. (So I guess that means a rocket does push on its own exhaust, huh?)
The rocket pushed off the chamber walls.
The Mythbusters are in NASA's pockets.

The stupid never ends.

Offline nomuse

• Jupiter
« Reply #1437 on: February 13, 2016, 09:20:50 PM »
It's like a mirror image of science.

Good science is about looking for anything that can prove your hypothesis wrong.

CT thinking is about looking for anything that can be twisted to AGREE with you.

Offline Tedward

• Mars
« Reply #1438 on: February 15, 2016, 03:15:41 AM »
What they are saying is then, the experiment is above their ken to repeat and use that chance to disprove science.

If it really was that important they would have nailed it by now. :)

Offline HeadLikeARock

• Venus
« Reply #1439 on: February 16, 2016, 07:41:07 AM »
I think a lot of the so-called flat-earthers don't actually believe it but pursue the idea as a kind of pseudo-intellectual exercise to prove how clever they are and how poor they believe conventional science is. It's a way of proving not so much that the earth is flat but that it revolves around them, which is where tradosaurus came in.

I think you're spot on with that assessment.