Author Topic: Good books about the moon landings hoax?  (Read 341799 times)

Offline Echnaton

• Saturn
Re: Good books about the moon landings hoax?
« Reply #255 on: September 14, 2014, 03:22:52 PM »
Thanks for the kind offer to send me your pamphlet, but on this occasion I will decline your offer. I really don't have the time or inclination to spend reading kook books about communing with ghosts.

Agreed.  The absolute impossibility of this being a factual account make it of no interest to me. 
The sun shone, having no alternative, on the nothing new. —Samuel Beckett

Offline JayUtah

• Neptune
    • Clavius
« Reply #256 on: September 14, 2014, 11:50:53 PM »
The Complimentary Copy...

You posted three times shilling your book.  Yet you have not provided me the key information I asked for.  Please give the name of the person to whom you spoke at the golf course.  Are you paying attention?
"Facts are stubborn things." --John Adams

Offline ineluki

• Earth
« Reply #257 on: September 15, 2014, 09:00:31 AM »
I still don't understand his you can expect that such a frankly cockamamie claim merits any attention whatsoever, other than perhaps a roll of the eyes. 

As we all probably know by now, if the supposed conspirators can choose between
- a way to handle things that's just incredible stupid within the scenario
- a way to handle things, that may still not work but at least on the surface makes sense
they will always take the former.

Offline Jockndoris

• Venus
« Reply #258 on: September 15, 2014, 11:35:41 AM »
Thanks for the kind offer to send me your pamphlet, but on this occasion I will decline your offer. I really don't have the time or inclination to spend reading kook books about communing with ghosts.

Agreed.  The absolute impossibility of this being a factual account make it of no interest to me.

You will never know what you are missing until you read the book. Jockndoris

Offline Jockndoris

• Venus
« Reply #259 on: September 15, 2014, 11:37:30 AM »

Offline Jockndoris

• Venus
« Reply #260 on: September 15, 2014, 11:39:44 AM »
The Complimentary Copy...

You posted three times shilling your book.  Yet you have not provided me the key information I asked for.  Please give the name of the person to whom you spoke at the golf course.  Are you paying attention?
The person you should phone is David Chin the Club Professional at Navy Marine Golf Club.  Phone number (808) 471-0142.  His picture appears with me on page 43 of the book and someone else has very kindly added details about the club to my post 211.  Make sure you claim to be “military” otherwise he probably won’t speak to you! Jockndoris

Offline JayUtah

• Neptune
    • Clavius
« Reply #261 on: September 15, 2014, 11:48:08 AM »
The person you should phone is David Chin the Club Professional at Navy Marine Golf Club.  Phone number (808) 471-0142.

Thank you.  I will phone him as soon as it is daytime in Hawaii.  Before I speak with him, please verify that this is the person you claim confirmed to you that you had played golf with the astronaut Neil Armstrong on the day he was supposed to be on the Moon.  I am not interested in the famous golfers with whom you have played.  I am interested only in a confirmation of the central claim of your book.

Make sure you claim to be “military” otherwise he probably won’t speak to you!

I have no intention of misrepresenting my identity or my purpose in calling.  Are you inventing reasons why this person will not speak with me or confirm the claims you allege about him?  Further, since you brought it up, we still require you to explain exactly how you -- as a non-military British subject -- to play golf at a U.S. military golf course.
« Last Edit: September 15, 2014, 11:52:04 AM by JayUtah »

Offline gillianren

• Uranus
    • My Letterboxd journal
« Reply #262 on: September 15, 2014, 11:48:23 AM »
You will never know what you are missing until you read the book.

Yes, I do.  I am missing lies.
"This sounds like a job for Bipolar Bear . . . but I just can't seem to get out of bed!"

"Conspiracy theories are an irresistible labour-saving device in the face of complexity."  --Henry Louis Gates

Offline JayUtah

• Neptune
    • Clavius
« Reply #263 on: September 15, 2014, 12:13:52 PM »
I've confirmed with my business agent that the book has not yet arrived.

I simply want to see what actual allegations of fact are presented in the book.  If the book is being presented as fact, I have the ability to determine what those allegations are and whether the book sufficiently supports them.  I don't consider claims of ghostly visitations to be either fact or substantiation of allegations of fact.  So those parts will receive little if any attention from me.

Offline Echnaton

• Saturn
« Reply #264 on: September 15, 2014, 12:14:41 PM »

But I will have retained the time I would have otherwise spent reading it, for some useful purpose. That is surely enough compensation for the absence of knowledge about communing with Armstrong's ghost. 
« Last Edit: September 15, 2014, 12:16:19 PM by Echnaton »

Offline Echnaton

• Saturn
« Reply #265 on: September 15, 2014, 12:20:24 PM »
  Make sure you claim to be “military” otherwise he probably won’t speak to you! Jockndoris

Do you make a habit of suggesting that people lie to get what they want?  Is this suggestion based on your own way of acting?

Offline JayUtah

• Neptune
    • Clavius
« Reply #266 on: September 15, 2014, 01:15:26 PM »
Do you make a habit of suggesting that people lie to get what they want?  Is this suggestion based on your own way of acting?

Keep in mind you're talking to a guy who has written and is selling a book claiming the ghost of Neil Armstrong came to him and confirmed that he was playing golf with him in Hawaii when he was supposed to be on the Moon.  Would an author making absurd claims of that magnitude have much compunction about lying about his identity over the telephone, or suggesting that others do likewise?

Mr. Chin is a PGA golfer.  That he is the professional-in-residence at a military golf course should not make him any less accessible to me than any other professional golfer.

It's a couple hours yet before the sun rises in Hawaii, so I have some time to think how best to parse our author's cryptic and disturbing statement.  Plus, I won't call until I confirm that the author claims Chin is who verified Neil Armstrong's previous identity.  The author didn't say, so I'm not going to just call up some random guy and ask about something that wasn't even alleged.

A picture of the author with Mr. Chin means nothing unless the picture itself contains detail that verifies something besides the fact that the author met Mr. Chin and had his picture taken with him.  I have dozens of pictures of me with famous people.  Those pictures don't prove any and all claims I might make about those famous people.  The contact information for Mr. Chin is easily Googled.  So it's pretty easy to parlay a picture posed with a celebrity and some quick Googling into the notion that someone could verify the author's story, but for some reason won't.

The author's puzzling suggestion that Mr. Chin might not want to talk to me seems more intended to prime me for the likelihood that Mr. Chin, as a nationally-ranked golfer and sports personality, might not want to bother talking to some researcher in Utah about a story that has practically nothing to do with golf, and involves simply one of many amateur golfers he likely encounters during the course of his profession.  Or priming for me for another likelihood that if I do get hold of him, he'll likely (correctly) state that he has no recollection of anything the author claims; our author will want to write that off as some kind of secret-keeping or stonewalling.

See, he has to cover all the bases.  He has to have a contingency for all possible outcomes of my conversations with David Chin, that somehow feed into his conspiracy theory.  The rub is that any information that would be privileged only for military ears is not going to be given to me simply by my claiming to be "military."  That's why -- once again -- this author's story continues to sound more like a bad mystery novella and less like reality.  At every turn he consistently gives us a comical caricature of how he thinks the U.S. military operates.  He wrongly likens it to the British military, he wrongly suggests he as a non-American civilian played at a military-only golf course, and now he's suggesting that I can cut through anticipated red tape on the phone simply by asserting verbally that I'm a U.S. serviceman.  Or conversely he's suggesting that unless I'm in the military I won't get access to the confirmation of the "secret" information ... that he gives out freely to anyone who asks.

But no, I have no intention of lying to get the information I need to test this author's conclusions.  And frankly the suggestion that I do so is dishonest, distasteful, and hopefully not an indication of how United Kingdom chartered accountants are wont to conduct business.  If Mr. Chin will speak only to military officers about this author's claims, I have a plethora of U.S. Navy officers I can ask to intermediate that discussion.

At present I still require from this author a clear statement of exactly what he expects Mr. Chin to confirm on his behalf.

Offline JayUtah

• Neptune
    • Clavius
« Reply #267 on: September 15, 2014, 05:06:23 PM »
I've confirmed with my business agent that the book has not yet arrived.

My agent confirms it came with today's post.  I'll pick it up this evening.

Offline Echnaton

• Saturn
« Reply #268 on: September 15, 2014, 05:50:17 PM »

Keep in mind you're talking to a guy who has written and is selling a book claiming the ghost of Neil Armstrong came to him and confirmed that he was playing golf with him in Hawaii when he was supposed to be on the Moon.  Would an author making absurd claims of that magnitude have much compunction about lying about his identity over the telephone, or suggesting that others do likewise?

Yes it was merely rhetorical, a question to point out the continued dishonesty.  One would of course never not expect honesty from a person who claims to commune with ghosts much less one who makes such a suggestion. 

Offline dwight

• Jupiter
    • Live Tv From the Moon
« Reply #269 on: September 15, 2014, 06:55:46 PM »
And who dares claim that the hoax theorist movement has taken a turn for the worse?
"Honeysuckle TV on line!"