Author Topic: Good books about the moon landings hoax?  (Read 341684 times)

Offline Zakalwe

• Uranus
Re: Good books about the moon landings hoax?
« Reply #180 on: September 01, 2014, 05:13:23 PM »
$16.50, one assumes plus shipping, for a glorified pamphlet?  Who would pay that?

Only those mad enough to believe that ghosts exist and that they seek out Chartered Accountants to converse with.

Though, judging by the reviews, at least 50% of those think that it's bunkum too....
http://www.amazon.co.uk/product-reviews/0953574814/ref=cm_cr_dp_hist_one?ie=UTF8&filterBy=addOneStar&showViewpoints=0

"Consistently throughout the book, you found it really hard to believe a word he was saying!"
No s**t, Sherlock....  ::)
"The strain of anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' " - Isaac Asimov

Offline JayUtah

• Neptune
    • Clavius
« Reply #181 on: September 01, 2014, 05:35:25 PM »
Indeed, I wouldn't mind a chartered accountant who writes historical fiction or supernatural fiction in his spare time.  A chartered accountant who invoked his professional reputation to support claims of the supernatural as fact would definitely make me look elsewhere for a chartered accountant.

Even leaving aside supernatural claims, a chartered accountant who misrepresented or withheld important information behind public claims, or who challenged technical accomplishments without a suitable background, or any of the other similar shenanigans would not give me confidence that he could defend his business practices on my account in court or under investigation.

I very much doubt his word.  And unless he clarifies his claims and provides evidence, I will very publicly doubt his word.
"Facts are stubborn things." --John Adams

Offline Bob B.

• Jupiter
  • Bob the Excel Guru™
    • Rocket & Space Technology
« Reply #182 on: September 01, 2014, 05:49:53 PM »
I checked at the Navy Marine Golf Club near Pearl Harbor that I had played golf with Neil Armstrong on 21 July 1969.
All this from a "respected 57 year old Chartered Accountant who's word is never questioned"

So was Burns 12 years old when he had this alleged golf outing with Armstrong in 1969?

Offline JayUtah

• Neptune
    • Clavius
« Reply #183 on: September 01, 2014, 05:59:39 PM »
The claim of being 57 years old refers not to the Armstrong book but to one of his other "I talk to ghosts" books, that one published in 1999.  I presume the age refers to the time of that writing.

Offline smartcooky

• Uranus
« Reply #184 on: September 01, 2014, 06:09:26 PM »
Another thing where I can call BS on Mr Burns is that golf course (if it is the one I am thinking of near Pearl/Hickam).

Firstly, its just a private course, operated by Navy Golf. It is not a "Golf Club" as such.

Secondly, I was there in 1979 (I looked it up in my service record; I was on an AN/APN510 Doppler GSDA Radar course where I learned the vagaries of the CDP1802 microprocessor). You had to be an active US serviceman to be allowed to play the course. Guests were not permitted. I wasn't allowed to play the course without making a special application because I wasn't a US serviceman. I'm not sure whether this is still true, but it certainly was then and I would expect it would have been in 1969.
If you're not a scientist but you think you've destroyed the foundation of a vast scientific edifice with 10 minutes of Googling, you might want to consider the possibility that you're wrong.

Offline JayUtah

• Neptune
    • Clavius
« Reply #185 on: September 01, 2014, 06:13:09 PM »
You had to be an active US serviceman to be allowed to play the course. Guests were not permitted.

The author Neil Burns is definitely not a U.S. serviceman.  Famously, Neil Armstrong was not an active U.S. serviceman either in 1969.  He was a civilian astronaut at the time.

Offline Tedward

• Mars
« Reply #186 on: September 02, 2014, 04:35:13 AM »
He was having a cup of tea around my house I tell you. All other claims are false. It was a cup of english breakfast tea with chocolate digestives. No one can prove me wrong cos I said so.

Edit. Or was it hobnobs?
« Last Edit: September 02, 2014, 04:38:08 AM by Tedward »

Offline Mag40

• Mars
« Reply #187 on: September 02, 2014, 05:12:00 AM »
He was having a cup of tea around my house I tell you. All other claims are false. It was a cup of english breakfast tea with chocolate digestives. No one can prove me wrong cos I said so.

Edit. Or was it hobnobs?

No way could it have been hobnobs, they weren't invented until 1985. If you aren't even sure what biscuits you ate, maybe you are mistaken about which astronaut it was?

Offline Jockndoris

• Venus
« Reply #188 on: September 02, 2014, 05:59:21 AM »
Of course the book is based on fact.

So you're prepared to prove that the ghost of Neil Armstrong visited its author.

‘These stories are absolutely true-exactly as I recall them.’

And your memory is infallible?  And you claim to talk to ghosts?

Just to make absolutely sure I flew 21 hours to Honolulu in November 2013. I checked at the Navy Marine Golf Club near Pearl Harbor that I had played golf with Neil Armstrong on 21 July 1969.  They gave me a great welcome and were able to confirm that we won the competition on that day.

Please list here the name of the person at the golf club to whom you spoke and who, according to you, confirmed that the astronaut Neil Armstrong played golf there with you on that date.  I will be verifying your story.

All the details are in the book which is available on our website   www.jockndoris.co.uk  where you can order a copy to be sent airmail.

I'm not paying for your book, but feel free to send me a complimentary review copy.

If you're going to shill your commercial products here, you had better pretend to give details when asked, and give them here.
I would be happy to send you a complimentary copy if you give me a suitable snailmail address
As before I will respond to all the points made given time - here are few replies
When I wrote my first book in 1999 I was 57 years old and so was 27 years old when I played with Neil Armstrong.
All points are covered in the book
The Navy Marine Club is a military club making it all the more plausible that the astronauts played there in 1969

Offline Tedward

• Mars
« Reply #189 on: September 02, 2014, 06:28:53 AM »

Edit. Or was it hobnobs?

No way could it have been hobnobs, they weren't invented until 1985. If you aren't even sure what biscuits you ate, maybe you are mistaken about which astronaut it was?

Nope. It is clear in my mind, I remember as if it were yesterday. It was Rich tea. Definitely Neil Armstrong, he had a traffolyte name tag and I had a photograph, looking for it now.

Off topic, anyone have a good book on photoshop and adding famous persons?

Offline ineluki

• Earth
« Reply #190 on: September 02, 2014, 07:37:18 AM »
$16.50, one assumes plus shipping, for a glorified pamphlet?  Who would pay that?

turbonium, ove, flendanharvest, awe, heiwa...

Offline Jason Thompson

• Uranus
« Reply #191 on: September 02, 2014, 09:14:23 AM »
As before I will respond to all the points made given time

You've had time. Plenty of it.

And since you raised them here you discuss them here. You don't get to bring them up and then tell us we all have to buy your book to discuss the subject with you.

The Navy Marine Club is a military club making it all the more plausible that the astronauts played there in 1969

Leaving aside the fact that Armstrong was not in the military at the time of his service with NASA, that does not make it more plausible that an astronaut whose name and face was all over the world's media as being in flight to the Moon on July 20th 1969 would be out and about casually playing golf in front of however many spectators, nor that none of these people actually said anything at the time or in the intervening decades about the obvious problem with reconciling his presence on the golf course and his appearance on TV as part of the Apollo 11 crew. If this event did happen, it would have been news then and there, not restricted to one self-published book decades later.
"There's this idea that everyone's opinion is equally valid. My arse! Bloke who was a professor of dentistry for forty years does NOT have a debate with some eejit who removes his teeth with string and a door!"  - Dara O'Briain

Offline RAF

• Mars
« Reply #192 on: September 02, 2014, 09:35:24 AM »
The Navy Marine Club is a military club making it all the more plausible that the astronauts played there in 1969.

For military astronauts, BUT ARMSTRONG WAS A CIVILIAN.

Sorry to "shout", but this is a FACT you MUST acknowledge BEFORE we can proceed further with this discussion.

Do you understand?

Offline RAF

• Mars
« Reply #193 on: September 02, 2014, 09:43:54 AM »
I would be happy to send you a complimentary copy if you give me a suitable snailmail address

If you had wrote it as a work of fiction, I would perhaps be interested.

Offline JayUtah

• Neptune
    • Clavius
« Reply #194 on: September 02, 2014, 10:30:44 AM »

In your private message box.

As before I will respond to all the points made given time

If you have time to shill your paid products here for free, you have time to read the list of outstanding questions put to you over the course of the past day and answer them in turn in a single message, which should have been this one.

I asked specifically for the name of the person to whom you spoke at the Hawaii golf course.  I expect not to have to wait for the delivery of the book to discover that name.

No.  Neil Armstrong was a civilian.  In fact it was one of Armstrong's most notable qualities, and likely why NASA chose him to command the first landing mission -- i.e., so that it would not look to the rest of the world like a military conquest.  In all your pretended conversations with Mr. Armstrong, it seems he didn't see fit to mention that very important, very well-known fact.  Or rather, you did very slipshod research in preparing to write your fiction.  You likely just assumed all the astronauts were military men.

Also, you have yet to explain how you -- a British subject -- was somehow able to play at a golf course that admits only active-duty United States military men without exception.  Again, very poor research on your part.  From someone like you who claims an impeccable reputation upon his word, these blatant falsehoods and evasions seem quite alarming.