Author Topic: Good books about the moon landings hoax?  (Read 341712 times)

Offline JayUtah

• Neptune
    • Clavius
Re: Good books about the moon landings hoax?
« Reply #135 on: August 27, 2014, 11:34:56 PM »
OK, so I'm just trying to get my head around what that means.

If you were to draw a circle, centred on the centre of the earth, that intersected the vehicle in the "Jarrah" orbit at the point at which it ran out of fuel with the tangents of the circle and the "Jarrah" orbit coinciding exactly, then the circle will be the new orbit. True?

True.  The eccentricity of the orbit would depend on the velocity along the big, Earth-centered circle.  But you have the important concept.  I need to go back and read Bob's post again to make sure we're both thinking of the same velocity vectors.  But one of the great concepts of orbital mechanics is that your state vector at engine cutoff uniquely and instantly defines your orbit.

Bob is paying very close attention to force vectors -- and he needs to so that his ship stays flying in its highly unnatural orbit.  But at cutoff only the velocity vector and the ship's position matter.
"Facts are stubborn things." --John Adams

Offline smartcooky

• Uranus
« Reply #136 on: August 28, 2014, 12:02:10 AM »
OK, so I'm just trying to get my head around what that means.

If you were to draw a circle, centred on the centre of the earth, that intersected the vehicle in the "Jarrah" orbit at the point at which it ran out of fuel with the tangents of the circle and the "Jarrah" orbit coinciding exactly, then the circle will be the new orbit. True?

True.  The eccentricity of the orbit would depend on the velocity along the big, Earth-centered circle.  But you have the important concept.  I need to go back and read Bob's post again to make sure we're both thinking of the same velocity vectors.  But one of the great concepts of orbital mechanics is that your state vector at engine cutoff uniquely and instantly defines your orbit.

Bob is paying very close attention to force vectors -- and he needs to so that his ship stays flying in its highly unnatural orbit.  But at cutoff only the velocity vector and the ship's position matter.

Thanks jay
If you're not a scientist but you think you've destroyed the foundation of a vast scientific edifice with 10 minutes of Googling, you might want to consider the possibility that you're wrong.

Offline Bob B.

• Jupiter
  • Bob the Excel Guru™
    • Rocket & Space Technology
« Reply #137 on: August 28, 2014, 12:13:28 AM »
The way that I constructed my scenario, when the fuel runs out the spacecraft will return to the original orbit with a radius of 6,600 km and an inclination of 66.5 degrees, however the ascending and descending nodes will have changed.

Note that when the spacecraft reaches the northernmost part of its original orbit, it is traveling at 7,771 m/s in a due east heading of 90 degrees.  In the Jarrah orbit I'm constantly maintaining that velocity and heading (and using an excessive amount of propulsion to due so).  When the fuel runs out, the spacecraft is still traveling due east at 7,771 m/s, so the resulting orbit has the same radius and inclination as the original.  However, since the spacecraft completed a partial 'orbit' around the arctic circle before the fuel ran out, the longitude of the northernmost point has changed, therefore the nodes have shifted eastward.

I purposely did not change the velocity when reaching the arctic circle so the result at engine cutoff would be as described above.
« Last Edit: August 28, 2014, 12:26:05 AM by Bob B. »

Offline JayUtah

• Neptune
    • Clavius
« Reply #138 on: August 28, 2014, 12:26:30 AM »
The way that I constructed my scenario, when the fuel runs out the spacecraft will return to the original orbit with a radius of 6,600 km and an inclination of 66.5 degrees, however the ascending and descending nodes will have changed.

That's what I meant by the ascended antinode most likely being at the (arbitrary) point where the engine cuts out.

In orbital mechanics, a "node" is where the orbital path crosses some reference plane.  For Earth orbits, the reference plane is Earth's equator.  The ascending node -- the point at which it crosses from below the equator to above it -- is one of the classic orbital elements (the half-dozen numbers that can describe any orbit).  The antinodes are, consequently, the high and low points of the orbital inclination.

Offline JayUtah

• Neptune
    • Clavius
« Reply #139 on: August 28, 2014, 12:27:59 AM »
skeptic_UK, we've ventured far afield from your original question.  Are you getting all the help you expected?

Offline Bob B.

• Jupiter
  • Bob the Excel Guru™
« Reply #140 on: August 28, 2014, 12:32:57 AM »
The antinodes are...

I'm not sure I've ever seen that term before.  Surprising considering how much I've read on the subject.

Offline JayUtah

• Neptune
    • Clavius
« Reply #141 on: August 28, 2014, 12:42:22 AM »
Nodes are more interesting because they have interesting first derivatives.  Hence they are more useful in the mathematical conceptualization.  Antinodes have boring first derivatives in and, if necessary, can be trivially derived from nodes.  But from the informal perspective they are a little more descriptive and helpful.

If you can imagine the ground track that you see on NASA TV and other sources, the nodes are where the ground track crosses the equator and the antinodes are the high and low points of the sinusoidal path.

Offline Jockndoris

• Venus
« Reply #142 on: August 28, 2014, 04:09:38 AM »
You obviously don’t know that there is a book published just recently in the UK called  Haunted by Neil Armstrong by Neil Burns.   Google should find it for you.
It claims that the astronaut played golf in Honolulu near Pearl Harbour on the very day he was supposed to be on the Moon in 1969!   It’s not available in the USA so I don’t think you could get a copy.  If it’s true of course it might be the proof everybody has been waiting for.

Offline johnbutcher

• Venus
« Reply #143 on: August 28, 2014, 02:21:47 PM »

If you can imagine the ground track that you see on NASA TV and other sources, the nodes are where the ground track crosses the equator and the antinodes are the high and low points of the sinusoidal path.
[/quote]

Ahh! thank you now i can visualise what you and bob are talking about. excellent image.

Offline skeptic_UK

• Venus
« Reply #144 on: August 31, 2014, 09:17:12 AM »
skeptic_UK, we've ventured far afield from your original question.  Are you getting all the help you expected?

I've enjoyed reading the posts actually! Found some good links I will check out!

Offline skeptic_UK

• Venus
« Reply #145 on: August 31, 2014, 09:18:08 AM »
You obviously don’t know that there is a book published just recently in the UK called  Haunted by Neil Armstrong by Neil Burns.   Google should find it for you.
It claims that the astronaut played golf in Honolulu near Pearl Harbour on the very day he was supposed to be on the Moon in 1969!   It’s not available in the USA so I don’t think you could get a copy.  If it’s true of course it might be the proof everybody has been waiting for.

Sounds interesting! Will look it up. Thanks.

Offline Tedward

• Mars
« Reply #146 on: August 31, 2014, 09:22:51 AM »
Actually, he was around my house having a cup of tea and a biscuit, Jaffa Cake I think, the tea was Darjeeling with a slice of lemon, we were watching the landing on TV. Just not got around to writing a book about it.

Offline raven

• Uranus
« Reply #147 on: August 31, 2014, 09:32:41 AM »
Actually, he was around my house having a cup of tea and a biscuit, Jaffa Cake I think, the tea was Darjeeling with a slice of lemon, we were watching the landing on TV. Just not got around to writing a book about it.
Please, everyone knows Armstrong takes his tea like Picard. ;)

Offline darren r

• Earth
« Reply #148 on: August 31, 2014, 10:33:05 AM »

You should probably mention that you are its publishers. Anyway, I've read the synopsis and it's the ramblings of a fantasist.
" I went to the God D**n Moon!" Byng Gordon, 8th man on the Moon.

Offline Bob B.

• Jupiter
  • Bob the Excel Guru™
« Reply #149 on: August 31, 2014, 11:41:15 AM »
It claims...

Anything can be claimed; doesn't mean a thing.  All that matters is what can be proved.

If it’s true...

That's the $64,000 question.