Author Topic: Good books about the moon landings hoax?  (Read 341607 times)

Offline Zakalwe

• Uranus
Re: Good books about the moon landings hoax?
« Reply #75 on: August 26, 2014, 06:21:46 PM »
One word ... NASASCAM.

In a twisted way i loved that site, if only for the immortal line:

"FACT: Rumour has it..."

FACT: The current Airfix plastic kit model of the Saturn V rocket, has no mention whatsoever on the box that Apollo went to the Moon, in fact the word "Moon" does not appear anywhere on the box. It merely states that the Saturn V launched the Apollo capsule into space, (low earth orbit, which is correct). Evidently Airfix realize that Apollo did not go to the Moon, otherwise there would be a reference to it somewhere on the box containing the model. As many would say "The truth is as plastic as the model".

Is it a wind-up site??? Surely, no-one can be that stupid????

"The strain of anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' " - Isaac Asimov

Offline RAF

• Mars
« Reply #76 on: August 26, 2014, 06:23:18 PM »
It's the sheer lack of even the most basic of research that does it for me.

..or the constant repeating of throughly debunked ideas....in particular, I'm thinking of the "no stars" argument.
« Last Edit: August 26, 2014, 06:24:49 PM by RAF »

Offline Luke Pemberton

• Uranus
  • Chaos in his tin foil hat
« Reply #77 on: August 26, 2014, 06:24:40 PM »
"FACT: Rumour has it..."

That has tickled me, if you could only see how much.
Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former - Albert Einstein.

I can calculate the motion of heavenly bodies, but not the madness of people – Sir Isaac Newton.

A polar orbit would also bypass the SAA - Tim Finch

Offline Luke Pemberton

• Uranus
« Reply #78 on: August 26, 2014, 06:34:11 PM »
For sheer sillyness, the lack of rover tracks is another good one.  So let's get this right, we have a wheeled vehicle capable of being driven into a position that is was supposed to be driven into.   But instead of driving it in into that position, we decide to hoist it into place with a crane.  Meanwhile it never occurs to anyone that by hoisting it we never produce the tire tracks that should have been there had we driven it.

And round and round it goes...

But that doesn't sound as good as the rover was hoisted there by a crane, which would have involved more people from an external crane company, and they would have been in on the conspiracy too, but that's not a problem as the project was well compartmentalised and there isn't a chance the crane company would have blown the whistle as they were paid by NASA using the NASA shill budget.
« Last Edit: August 26, 2014, 06:44:36 PM by Luke Pemberton »
Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former - Albert Einstein.

I can calculate the motion of heavenly bodies, but not the madness of people – Sir Isaac Newton.

Offline Sus_pilot

• Mars
« Reply #79 on: August 26, 2014, 06:37:00 PM »
ETA: I've now posted 333 times. For those that know their cricket, I've levelled with Goochy on triple Nelson. OK, no one cares...

I gotta tell you, as a USAian, I find hoax theories more comprehensible than cricket rules...

ETA:  Luke, Tapatalk is truncating the right margin, so I can't seem to get the quote formatted corretcly.

Or edit "correctly". 
« Last Edit: August 26, 2014, 06:40:11 PM by Sus_pilot »

Offline Luke Pemberton

• Uranus
« Reply #80 on: August 26, 2014, 06:39:04 PM »
I gotta tell you, as a USAian, I find hoax theories more comprehensible than cricket rules laws...

Fixed that for you...  :P

It's straighforwards really, here's an explanation of Cricket:

You have two sides, one out in the field and one in. Each man that's in the side that's in goes out, and when he's out he comes in and the next man goes in until he's out. When they are all out, the side that's out comes in and the side that's been in goes out and tries to get those coming in, out.

Sometimes you get men still in and not out. When a man goes out to go in, the men who are out try to get him out, and when he is out he goes in and the next man in goes out and goes in.

There are two men called umpires who stay all out all the time and they decide when the men who are in are out. When both sides have been in and all the men have been out, and both sides have been out twice after all the men have been in, including those who are not out, that is the end of the game.
« Last Edit: August 26, 2014, 06:41:59 PM by Luke Pemberton »

Offline Zakalwe

• Uranus
« Reply #81 on: August 26, 2014, 06:45:29 PM »

You have two sides, one out in the field and one in. Each man that's in the side that's in goes out, and when he's out he comes in and the next man goes in until he's out. When they are all out, the side that's out comes in and the side that's been in goes out and tries to get those coming in, out.

Sometimes you get men still in and not out. When a man goes out to go in, the men who are out try to get him out, and when he is out he goes in and the next man in goes out and goes in.

There are two men called umpires who stay all out all the time and they decide when the men who are in are out. When both sides have been in and all the men have been out, and both sides have been out twice after all the men have been in, including those who are not out, that is the end of the game.

You sure that's not a MP sketch???
"The strain of anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' " - Isaac Asimov

Offline Sus_pilot

• Mars
« Reply #82 on: August 26, 2014, 06:46:39 PM »

I gotta tell you, as a USAian, I find hoax theories more comprehensible than cricket rules laws...

Fixed that for you...  :P

The last time someone tried to explain it to me was while we were on vacation in the Caymans.  I immediately felt the need for a strong rum drink.  Sadly, I do now, but I have a flight student in 10 minutes, and the FAA frowns on that sort of thing.

Sigh... :)

Offline JayUtah

• Neptune
    • Clavius
« Reply #83 on: August 26, 2014, 07:05:03 PM »
Is it a wind-up site??? Surely, no-one can be that stupid????

Sam Colby can certainly act that stupid, but the jury has been out for some 15 years whether he really is that stupid.  He does a slightly better job of protecting his anonymity than AwE130, so it's hard to really track him across the web.
"Facts are stubborn things." --John Adams

Offline Chew

• Jupiter
« Reply #84 on: August 26, 2014, 09:58:36 PM »
The one I can't forget no matter how hard I try is the 'hospital porter for truth' who said the footage of a LM rendezvousing with the CSM was obviously fake because the LM was moving to its right but it was "banked" to the left.

Offline frenat

• Mars
« Reply #85 on: August 26, 2014, 10:01:04 PM »
I still like Jarrah's description of a polar orbit.
-Reality is not determined by your lack of comprehension.
 -Never let facts stand in the way of a good conspiracy theory.
 -There are no bad ideas, just great ideas that go horribly wrong.

Offline nomuse

• Jupiter
« Reply #86 on: August 26, 2014, 10:02:06 PM »
Or the alleged vacuum.

Offline gillianren

• Uranus
    • My Letterboxd journal
« Reply #87 on: August 26, 2014, 10:40:27 PM »
When my friends are discussing stupidity, "alleged vacuum" comes up a lot.  They like watching me splutter incoherently, it seems.
"This sounds like a job for Bipolar Bear . . . but I just can't seem to get out of bed!"

"Conspiracy theories are an irresistible labour-saving device in the face of complexity."  --Henry Louis Gates

Offline Luke Pemberton

• Uranus
« Reply #88 on: August 27, 2014, 02:01:19 AM »
I still like Jarrah's description of a polar orbit.

Oh, you've gone and done it now, and I was trying so hard not to go over old ground. The infamous '1.5 x 0.5 = 1.0 wiggle myself off the hook with circular logic get-out' is still my favourite.

'If I take the Apollo footage (Young's jump salute) and increase its speed to 150% (3/2 times) it looks like a man moving in Earth's gravity. I shall now render the sped up video. I now take my rendered video at 150% (3/2 times) and reduce it's playback speed to 67% (2/3 times speed) and it looks like the Apollo footage.' He plays slowed down rendered video next to original unaltered video.

So you've just shown that 3/2 x 2/3 = 1? Way to go  :o
« Last Edit: August 27, 2014, 04:02:18 AM by Luke Pemberton »

Offline nomuse

• Jupiter
« Reply #89 on: August 27, 2014, 02:23:43 AM »
Sounds on a par with IDW's "10^5 = 1,000,000"